“I told you Nilsson would suck tonight. Math boner!” vs “NEEEEEEEEERD.” There could be only one. Final Score: 4-1 Coyotes
The big story coming into tonight’s game was in regards to Todd McLellan’s decision to play Anders Nilsson on back to back nights. The fancy stats community will tell you that playing a goalie two nights in a row is generally a bad idea. Todd McLellan clearly did not care as he went back to Nilsson believing he would play as well he he did last night in Anaheim. Part of me just wanted to see what would happen to watch the pro versus anti stats communities collide in the time tested art of Twitter trolling.
Despite playing games on back to back nights the Oilers were able to find their legs early. It’s strange to feel surprised when a team doesn’t suck early. Their breakout was successful, Nilsson was solid, and the Oilers delivered a solid road period. The Oilers were engaged (which is a miracle in itself) and the quick start paid off early when Taylor Hall put home a backhander off of a sweet little feed by Leon Draisaitl. The Oilers maintained the lead throughout most of the first period until a quick mistake in the defensive zone ended up in the back of the net.
It was looking good for the “eye-ballers” early.
The second period featured fairly even play going back and forth but it was the mistakes that cost the Oilers. Even though they were still skating well the Oilers made little mistakes that ended up costing them two second period goals. On the first goal the Oilers were unable to clear the zone, and the second came as a result of poor coverage coming back off the rush. The Oilers weren’t making those mistakes early on. I’m not sure whether the Oilers were feeling more tired than they looked but both those mistakes were small defensive breakdowns that need to be corrected.
Point for the nerds.
I thought the Oilers played well enough to give themselves a chance to win early on in the night. Unfortunately, the offense dried up and they weren’t able to cash in on some key chances whereas their opponents did just that. The Coyotes played a solid game and put the puck in the net pretty much every time they were given the chance. As the third period progressed the Oilers were playing like chickens with their heads cut off. What started off as a solid road game ended up as a sloppy, disappointing loss.
Wrap it like it’s hot.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The Oilers had a good start despite playing the second of back-to-back games.
- Taylor Hall scored his team leading seventh goal of the season off of a beautiful pass by Leon Draisaitl.
- The Hall-Nuge-Draisaitl line has been hot fire since Todd McLellan put them back together last night in Anaheim. Sure, the rest of the team can’t score, but that line certainly can!
- Can I swoon over Leon Draisaitl again? No way he goes back to Bakersfield this season.
- Very quietly Andrej Sekera put up his seventh assist of the season. He seems to be settling down which is a good thing, because he was not playing good hockey early on. The Oilers will need him if they hope to accomplish anything this season.
- The Oilers outshot the Coyotes 28 to 21. Alright, so I’m reaching here.
- Oiler Connor McDavid convalescing well, without pain, week after shoulder to repair broken clavicle, I am told. #oilers #nhl #globehockey
— Marty Klinkenberg (@globemartyk) November 13, 2015
THE FACE PALMERS
- Day nine without McDavid.
- Darnell Nurse got caught for the first time in a few games making the wrong decision. He made a pass to no one in the Oilers’ defensive zone which led to the Oliver Ekman-Larsson goal at the end of the first period. The amazing thing about it is that Nurse hasn’t been making many mistakes despite (probably) playing over his head these past few weeks. Daryl knows better.
- Yak looks lost without McDavid. To be fair, playing with Letestu isn’t the same thing as playing with McDavid so I criticize with a heavy heart. Maybe Connor can give him a call, or face time, every now and then?
- Nilsson wasn’t really even close to sharp tonight. If you ask the fancy stats world they would have told you that this morning. Nilsson finished with 17 saves and an .810 save%.
- I can’t believe I had to hear about what would happen with the Coyotes at Glendale arena during the intermission. HOW MANY YEARS IS THIS GOING TO GO ON FOR?!
- Rumour going around the Twitterverse that the Oilers are battling some kind of flu tonight. I know that Pouliot wasn’t playing due to illness so I guess it’s plausible, but I still think that was a winnable game.
- The Oilers went 0/4 on the power play. They had chances to take the lead throughout the second period but they just couldn’t get anything together.
|03:03||EDM||Taylor Hall (7) Backhand shot – ASST: Leon Draisaitl (7), Andrej Sekera (7)||1 – 0 EDM|
|16:49||ARI||Oliver Ekman-Larsson (2) Wrist shot – ASST: Brad Richardson (2)||1 – 1 Tie|
|13:47||ARI||PPG – Shane Doan (4) Wrist shot – ASST: Max Domi (7), Tobias Rieder (4)||2 – 1 ARI|
|17:29||ARI||Stefan Elliott (1) Wrist shot – ASST: John Scott (1), Kyle Chipchura (4)||3 – 1 ARI|
|11:28||ARI||Max Domi (8) Backhand shot – ASST: Michael Stone (4)||4 – 1 ARI|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
First time ever paying for a hockey ticket. #Oilers vs Coyotes.
— Rod Phillips (@oilvoice37) November 13, 2015
Mark Fayne is a true underdog story! From healthy scratch to ceremonial puck drop. What a stud @OilersNation
— mackenzie trach (@magicmitts9) November 13, 2015
Leading the team in scoring….. Again.
— Cory Dakin (@Corydakin) November 13, 2015
@jsbmbaggedmilk Sitting here, I got a trade idea: Oilers get Tobias Rieder for, say, Kale Kessy. Any sane GM makes that deal for AZ, right?
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) November 13, 2015
I’m not sure how big John Scott out muscles Nurse there – Darnell can bench press twice Scott’s weight @oilersnation
— Brayden Kijewski (@BraydenKijewski) November 13, 2015
— Rob Stevenson (@FYI_Rob23) November 13, 2015
@OilersNation I am going to sleep until mcdavid gets back.
— Charlie Zulu (@Tuker79) November 13, 2015
Talk to me Twitter.
THE NORTH X NORTHGRETZ PODCAST
Every Monday we release a new episode of the North x NorthGretz podcast where we talk about what’s happening around the Nation, behind the scenes at Nation HQ, and the adventures of Chris the Intern. Check out Episode 2 where we cry about Connor McDavid’s injury, Chris the Intern’s new hat, and be forced to hear about Jeanshorts’ dating life.