I’ve passed kidney stones that sucked less than that. Final Score: 3-0 Leafs
Is there anything more annoying than Leafs fans? You know them online. You know them in your personal life. There is absolutely nothing worse, or mind numbing, than listening to Leafs fan talk shit. It’s almost like they don’t understand their team is also garbage, yet the babble continues in an endless stream. “Oilers suck. They ruin careers. Worst team ever.” For a team that has won nothing their fans act like they’re supporting the Harlem Globetrotters.
Let’s be honest, if the Leafs are an awful hockey team (which they are) then losing to them casts an ugly reflection upon the Oilers organization. Not that I’m surprised — for years the Oilers have been finding ways to be competitive against good teams a lay a turd on the ice against everyone else. For a year that was supposed to be different this season has been anything but. Without Connor McDavid in the lineup, this team looks every bit as bad as they did last year… and the year before that… and the year before that. You know the story.
As if this game couldn’t have been worse they got shutout by a goalie that had never before played a National Hockey League game. Think about how stupid that sentence is. Yet, it happened and here we are. For me, this was easily the worst game of the entire season and that takes into account the shitkicking they took in Carolina last week. This game sucked from start to finish and there’s not much else to say about it except to thank the Oilers for forcing me to drink on a school night.
Wrap it like it’s hot.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- I saw Connor McDavid on my teevee! All I could think about was how pissed off some Leafs fans must have been seeing him being interviewed as an Oiler. Hilarious.
- Darnell Nurse is developing into a warlord, and it’s amazing to watch. I loved watching him go after Dion Phaneuf after he levelled Benoit Pouliot. No one else on the ice said a word but ol’ Darryl stepped up. Atta be Darryl.
- Leon Draisaitl was probably the best Oilers forward tonight. At the very least, Draisaitl was getting more looks at the net than any of his teammates.
- Anders Nilsson was solid yet again. Regardless of how well he plays it’s tough to win when the team in front of you doesn’t score any goals. Nilsson finished the night with 23 saves and a .920 save%. I’d expect McLellan to go back to him when they get back from the road trip.
- We learned that Paul Romaniuk can count to four. Follow along with me… The Oilers have: one, two, three, FOUR first overall picks.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Everything about that game sucked.
- Day 27 without Connor McDavid.
- Nuge, Eberle, and Hall all had rough nights. None of them could get anything going and need to be better.
- The power play was awful tonight. This was probably the worst it’s been all season. They went 0 for 3 and barely had any zone time. I’m not sure that it’s out of line to say that the Leafs looked better on the Oilers’ PP than the Oilers did.
- How about the camera angle Sportsnet was running with tonight? It’s nice to know what the game looks like from space.
- Only the Oilers can make a goalie that’s never played a game before look like a Vezina finalist. Garret Sparks gets a shutout in his first NHL game. The Oilers always have been gracious hosts.
- The Oilers lost pretty much every stat category they could – Faceoffs, Special Teams, Corsi, Time of Possession. This was ugly.
|06:45||TOR||PPG – Leo Komarov (9) Tip-in – ASST: James van Riemsdyk (7), Dion Phaneuf (13)||1 – 0 TOR|
|07:33||TOR||Nazem Kadri (3) Tip-in – ASST: Jake Gardiner (4), James van Riemsdyk (8)||2 – 0 TOR|
|18:59||TOR||EN – Leo Komarov (10) Wrist shot – ASST: James van Riemsdyk (9)||3 – 0 TOR|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Jordan Blatz (@blatzyj) December 1, 2015
I don’t understand Leaf fans position that the Oil are “supposed” to be good. Since when?? @OilersNation
— Rhett William (@Rhettimus) December 1, 2015
@jsbmbaggedmilk Course the rookie with his parents in the standing gets a shutout. Of course he does.
— Kyle Eldstrom (@KEldstrom) December 1, 2015
Talk to me Twitter. Hit me up on Twitter at @jsbmbaggedmilk for your chance at ending up in the GDB Wrap Up.
THE NORTH X NORTHGRETZ PODCAST
You ever wonder how Chris the Intern would get through an eff/marry/kill with some of the Nation staff? Find out this, and more, on Episode 5 of the North x NorthGretz podcast.