WE’RE GOING STREAKING! Final Score: 4-2 Oilers.
How hilarious is it to see Jack Eichel get salty about the Connor McDavid questions? When he was asked about whether or not he was disappointed that he wouldn’t be facing off against Connor McDavid tonight he answered with, “It doesn’t mean anything to me.” While I do think that it’s true that Jack Eichel doesn’t think about Connor as often as I do, I find it hard to believe that he wouldn’t have wanted to show up the Precious in their first meeting.
Although I was sad we didn’t get to watch Connor make Jack look average, I told myself that I would try to enjoy watching a great young player anyway. I mean, I’m a bigger person than one that gets bitter, right? I can watch Jack Eichel without feeling a bigger hatred towards the Philadelphia Flyers/whoever made the ice so slippery/the guy that should have been hired to bubble wrap up the end boards, right? The answer turned out to be no. Seeing Eichel play (and score) just left a sour taste in my mouth. Sour because I wanted to see the McDichel showdown, and sour because we’re still weeks away from having Connor back. I am an old crotchety man.
On the bright side, seeing the Oilers handle a team that they should beat (IMO) soothed the sting of missing my beloved McDavid. For once, the Oilers actually rose to occasion, when playing a lesser team, rather than falling to their level. That’s not to say that the Oilers’ level is all that much higher than the Buffalo Sabres’, but I do see them as a beatable team. If the Oilers are going to show that they’re actually better than their record, beating rebuilding teams like Buffalo is a must, and they were able to do that. I’m not saying that it was a perfect game, but the Oilers found another way to win and the streak continues.
My friends, we’re looking at the three game
losing winning streak.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Jack Eichel is no Connor McDavid.
- Nuge and Eberle both had great games tonight. On Eberle’s goal (his fifth), Nugey was a puck thief in the corner, made a perfect pass, and Jordan finished it off. Hopefully seeing these guys produce can shut up some of the trade enthusiasts. I doubt it, but a blogger can hope.
- The Hall-Draisaitl-Purcell line was on fire tonight. They each registered two points apiece and could have had more with the way they were producing chances.
- Leon Draisaitl was dominant in the faceoff circle, and it was mostly against Ryan O’Reilly. Draisaitl won 59% of his draws tonight. Great effort in the circle. Speaking of faceoffs, Nuge had another solid night on the dot, going 53%.
- Teddy Purcell continues to do more with less inches. He scored his fifth goal of the season off of a deflected Taylor Hall wrister.
- Luke Gazdic uses the force to score goals without shooting.
- I never thought I’d be so excited to see Brandon Davidson. He played 20:11 and was +1 on the night.
- I loved the Wayne/Walter coverage that Sportsnet had between periods. Canadian treasures, the both of them.
- Third straight win for the Ders. I’m sure he would have like to have the Eichel goal back, but he was rock solid again tonight. Nilsson finished the night with 32 saves and a .941 save%.
- Oilers went 1/1 on the power play, but should have had more opportunities.
- I loved the “Connor’s Better” chant going out at Rexall. Hilarious. Well played, citizens.
THE FACE PALMERS
- 15 games without McDavid.
- Jack Eichel scored on a shot that the Ders stops nine times out of ten. Seeing him score annoyed me more than I thought it would. That being said, Jack Eichel is going to be a special hockey player. The kid has wheels, power, and hands that always give him a chance to make something happen. I can’t wait to see the first McDichel showdown in March.
- I understand why Taylor Hall was getting frustrated – he wasn’t getting any calls going his way – but he’s too good a player to be having multiple trips to the penalty box. The Oilers needs him on the ice.
- There is no snake bite like the Anton Lander snake bite.
- After this season, Mark Fayne has years left on his contract and he was sitting in the press box tonight. This wasn’t the first time Fayne was a healthy scratch so it will be interesting to see what Chiarelli decides to do with him going forward. Draft trade for pick(s)/minor prospect? I can see it.
- Can I go on record to say that I hate coach’s challenges? After the refs reviewed Luke Gazdic’s goal to ensure there was no kicking motion Dan Bylsma challenged the play for interference. It was a ridiculous waste of time. I can’t wait to see this rule cost someone in the playoffs. I’ll tell you one thing, if I were an NHL goalie I’d flop any time an opposing player got anywhere near me.
- The refs called the game with the consistency of a shart. They missed calls all over the ice, and I mean that both ways. Taylor Hall got steamrolled in the second period and he didn’t even have the puck.
- We’re 28 games into the season and the Oilers are now 4-0 when leading after two periods.
|06:58||BUF||Jack Eichel (9) Backhand shot – ASST: Brian Gionta (7), Jamie McGinn (7)||1 – 0 BUF|
|09:36||EDM||Teddy Purcell (5) Deflected shot – ASST: Taylor Hall (17), Leon Draisaitl (12)||1 – 1 Tie|
|16:06||EDM||Jordan Eberle (5) Wrist shot – ASST: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (12)||2 – 1 EDM|
|18:55||EDM||PPG – Taylor Hall (11) Wrist shot – ASST: Teddy Purcell (10), Justin Schultz (2)||3 – 1 EDM|
|13:22||BUF||PPG – Ryan O’Reilly (9) Backhand shot – ASST: Zach Bogosian (2), Carlo Colaiacovo (4)||3 – 2 EDM|
|17:43||EDM||Luke Gazdic (1) Wrist shot – ASST: Oscar Klefbom (8), Anton Lander (2)||4 – 2 EDM|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Jeffrey Patterson (@pattersonjwh) December 6, 2015
— Aaron Brown (@ahbrown42) December 7, 2015
— Rick Weidemann (@RPW_1832) December 7, 2015
Jack Eichel feels like he’s stuck playing second banana to the more famous McDavid. I wonder where that comes from. pic.twitter.com/oLcCeUPM4B
— Late Fiennes (@MrMikeEaton) December 7, 2015
@OilersNation Game 39 nowadays is when we come to grips with missing the playoffs again.
— Ryan McByks (@IAmByks) December 7, 2015
— Mr. Brain (@therealMrBrain) December 7, 2015
@jsbmbaggedmilk Luke Gazdic has more goals then Anton Lander. The struggle is real.
— Kyle Eldstrom (@KEldstrom) December 7, 2015
thats as many wins in December as last season @OilersNation
— Kevin Maloney (@Kevin_F_Maloney) December 7, 2015
Talk to me Twitter. Hit me up on Twitter at @jsbmbaggedmilk for your chance at ending up in the GDB Wrap Up.
NATIONGEAR FOR CHRISTMAS
Do you want your loved ones to continue loving you post Christmas? If yes, you’d better decorate their closets with NationGear from the beautifully redesigned NationGear store. Take, for example, the Neon Leon shirt shown above. Are you telling me that your man (or lady) torso wouldn’t look 30-255% better draped in this tribute to Big Sexy 2.0? I didn’t think so.