At least we get McDavid back. Final score. 4-1 Predators
Tonight was the last McDavid-less game that we’ll have to watch. I hope it’s the last time I don’t get to see him flying around the ice, taking the NHL by storm like he’s some kind of wizard. Frankly, this wait has been harder than waiting to see his first NHL game. We already know how good he can be. Not having Connor McDavid on the ice is a travesty, and I am pumped to get him back. Sure, the Oilers haven’t come out and said that he’ll play against Columbus but I would be shocked if that was not the case.
Actually, I kept finding myself drifting off from what was actually happening in the game and already fast forwarding to that first game back against Columbus. Connor McDavid is a game changer, and having him back on the ice could be the difference between winning and losing some of these one goal games. Not to mention, even if the Oilers lose there’s a high likelihood that Connor will do something awesome and make Oilers must see TV again. How could I not get distracted?
As for tonight’s game, it was another night where mistakes cost the Oilers a chance at points in the standings. Despite the loss, it’s not like the Predators dominated the play. The Oilers just keep finding new and creative ways to shoot themselves in the foot. Edmonton was in this game, but mental lapses in their own zone resulted in pucks going in the net. When you combine the mistakes with an inability to score on Pekka Rinne then you’re not setting yourself up for anything good. At least I spent a good chunk of the night fantasizing about Connor McDavid and that soothed the blow of another loss.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- We’ll see you in 10 days, Connor.
- Leon Draisaitl scored his 12th goal of the season on a nice drive towards the net. Draisaitl is a warlord and I bow to my German overlord.
- To steal from Jonathan Willis, Zack Kassian does jerk things and I like it. He was running his mouth all night and pissing Predator players off. I like it. I also give Kassian credit for getting kicked out and finding a way to start his all-star break early.
- Andrej Sekera is a beauty. I feel bad for the guy that on some nights he seems like the only NHL calibre defenseman on the ice.
- I liked Griffin Reinhart’s game tonight. He kept things simple and had a couple really good looks on net. He was also credited with an assist on Draisaitl’s goal.
- No more losses for 10 days! *puts hand up, waits for high five*
- Did I mention that McDavid is coming back?
THE FACE PALMERS
- Do you guys still want to trade Nuge? Not pretty without the team’s best two-way centre, is it?
- Shout out to Sportsnet for having us miss the first few minutes of the game. God forbid that we miss the Leafs/Habs shootout.
- Why is it that whenever the Oilers score, a counter goal is coming almost immediately? The Predators scored 90 seconds later.
- The power play is gross. Like… making out with a cousin gross. The PP went 0/3 on the night.
- The Predators only had one power play on the night, but they scored.
- The first two Predator goals were goals that could only be scored on the Oilers. Why? Because they made no sense.
- Andrej Sekera had a wide open net, and a chance to tie things up, but hit the crossbar. If that was overtime that puck was in.
- Darnell Nurse got schooled on Mike Fisher’s goal (his first in 14 games btw). He was caught puck watching and Fisher skated right past him for a tap in.
- Actually, the Nurse/Schultz pairing was an adventure all night.
- The Oilers went 26 of 59 in the faceoff circle for 44%.
|11:54||EDM||Leon Draisaitl (12) Backhand shot – ASST: Taylor Hall (30), Griffin Reinhart (1)||1 – 0 EDM|
|13:36||NSH||Mattias Ekholm (6) Snap shot – ASST: NONE||1 – 1 Tie|
|01:47||NSH||PPG – Mattias Ekholm (7) Slapshot – ASST: Ryan Ellis (15), Filip Forsberg (17)||2 – 1 NSH|
|00:52||NSH||Mike Fisher (6) Wrist shot – ASST: Shea Weber (19), Roman Josi (24)||3 – 1 NSH|
|19:24||NSH||EN – Filip Forsberg (14) Snap shot – ASST: NONE||4 – 1 NSH|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Johanna Lauren (@allsystemsjo) January 24, 2016
@OilersNation that goal pretty much sums this season up
— Kevin K (@Germoid) January 24, 2016
@OilersNation It’s scary, like learning to love gin. Swore it would never happen, then one morning you wake up on a mattress in an alley.
— Ryan Garner (@RyGarner) January 24, 2016
Meanwhile in Edmonton pic.twitter.com/gsh5awSMTg
— The Hockey Gods! (@HockeyGods) January 17, 2016
@OilersNation Yeah whatever. Last period without McDavid!!!
— Dave Rymer (@DaveRymer) January 24, 2016
@OilersNation “hello draft lottery, it’s the Oilers”…”We’re going to need a table again”…”yes near the front”
— Steven Roch (@steven_roch) January 24, 2016
— Higgs-Distortion (@Higgsdistortion) January 24, 2016
@OilersNation MCDAVID PLAYS NEXT GAME!!!!!
— Carmen Chinery (@geology24_7) January 24, 2016
Talk to me, Twitter. Hit me up on Twitter at @jsbmbaggedmilk for your chance at ending up in the GDB Wrap Up.
THE NORTH X NORTHGRETZ PODCAST
This week Jason Gregor joins us to talk about the latest stretch of Oiler games, the debut of Zack Kassian, power play woes and potential trades in the near future. Then we play a spirited round of Ask The Idiots where we talk Making A Murderer, Gregor gives his dating advice and we find out what Chris The Intern’s favourite colour is.
- Episode 2 – Where Are The Guests Bro?
- Episode 3 – Chip Wars 2015
- Episode 4 – Neon Leon
- Episode 5 – Ya Jinked It!
- Episode 6 – Nation Battle Royale
- Episode 7 – The Brownlee Christmas Spectacular
- Episode 8 – Return Of The CTI
- Episode 9 – NxNGretz Holiday Special
- Episode 10 – An NxNGretz New Years
- Episode 11 – Is There A TV Doctor In The House?