*farts loudly* Final Score: 8-1 Oilers Islanders
You guys thought you could get rid of me on the #NationSkiTrip didn’t you? You thought that my Wrap Ups were a thing of the past. Admit it! How dare you wish ill upon me. How dare you. Okay so maybe I made all of that up, but I do actually feel close to death. Nothing makes your body hate you more than two days on a mountain and two and a half days of drinking. On the bright side, my beer hydration index® is sky high right now. You can applaud me later.
As for the game itself, it was somehow even worse than yesterday’s garbage buffet. It reminded me of trying to put out a house fire with a watering can. All I could do was watch and wonder how and why this was happening to me. If the Oilers had a chance to make a mistake they’re were sure to take it, and Nilsson couldn’t bail them out. Actually… bail them out? Nilsson wouldn’t have found a bale in in a hay field (rimshot). To be fair, Talbot wasn’t any better. Regardless, the Oilers were out of this thing before they ever had a chance to put something together. No that they ever did.
It’s amazing how the team that absolutely pumped the Ottawa Senators, on Thursday night, can look so awful in the next two games. Saying the Oilers are a Jekyll and Hyde hockey team is almost an understatement. Not only did they lose this game, they were Washington General’d. It wasn’t even close or anywhere near close. They must have left the ballpark for close back in Ottawa. Quite frankly, games like this make me feel lucky that the NHL doesn’t have relegation. At least we all had an excuse to start drinking early?
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The NHL doesn’t have relegation!
- Connor McDavid scored his 7th goal of the season by driving to the net and banging home the rebound. He’s not afraid to go to the net, and watching him was one of the only highlights of this game.
- It’s been said a million times but Zack Kassian gives the Oilers something that they haven’t had in a long time. He is one of the only Oilers that’s willing to mix it up. Not to mention, he got in a pretty good scrap tonight too.
- The Islanders didn’t get 10?
- The game is over now.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Everything. Everything went wrong in this game.
- How did Darnell Nurse get scratched over Justin Schultz? I mean… I may have been drinking yesterday, but I did watch the game. Anyone else?
- First shot on net. First goal for the Islanders. *sigh*
- Actually, Nilsson did not have a good day and that’s being more than generous. He allowed four goals on 11 shots for a .636 save%.
- Cam Talbot wasn’t much better in relief as he allowed four goals on 20 shots for an .800 save%.
- The penalty kill allowed two goals on four opportunities.
- They had one power play and didn’t get anything done.
- Benoit Pouliot deflected a puck that was going wide into his own net. That play was today’s game in a nutshell.
- I had to watch all three periods of this hockey game.
|02:57||NYI||Johnny Boychuk (4) Slapshot – ASST: Nick Leddy (18), Cal Clutterbuck (4)||1 – 0 NYI|
|09:12||NYI||John Tavares (19) Wrist shot – ASST: Ryan Strome (14), Thomas Hickey (6)||2 – 0 NYI|
|11:24||NYI||Nikolay Kulemin (6) Wrist shot – ASST: Frans Nielsen (17), Kyle Okposo (26)||3 – 0 NYI|
|02:32||NYI||PPG – Kyle Okposo (13) Wrist shot – ASST: Nick Leddy (19), John Tavares (20)||4 – 0 NYI|
|06:09||NYI||Kyle Okposo (14) Wrist shot – ASST: Frans Nielsen (18)||5 – 0 NYI|
|06:50||EDM||Connor McDavid (7) Wrist shot – ASST: NONE||5 – 1 NYI|
|09:36||NYI||Josh Bailey (9) Wrist shot – ASST: Anders Lee (15), Nick Leddy (20)||6 – 1 NYI|
|16:04||NYI||Cal Clutterbuck (11) Wrist shot – ASST: Casey Cizikas (11)||7 – 1 NYI|
|07:27||NYI||PPG – Kyle Okposo (15) ASST: John Tavares (21), Calvin de Haan (8)||8 – 1 NYI|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— N Taylor (@MeteoChef) February 7, 2016
@OilersNation so scouting report on Hamonic; he is better that Schultz
— Pierre McPretorius (@OgrePretorius) February 7, 2016
@jsbmbaggedmilk Except they weren’t aware there was a fire and were just watering their house.
— Cody Black (@Black_Dangles13) February 7, 2016
— Nancy (@True_North_72) February 7, 2016
— Mr. Brain (@therealMrBrain) February 7, 2016
@OilersNation at this point I get more sad when Mcdavid leaves the ice than an islander goal
— mcgunner (@EasyGooner) February 7, 2016
— Paul Belacca (@Beleezi) February 7, 2016
— Duffy (@cjd_78) February 7, 2016
— McDavid Is Back!!! (@sportsjunkie007) February 7, 2016
THE NORTH X NORTHGRETZ PODCAST
This week the boys talk about Dennis Wideman and Shawn Horcoff’s troubles, their favourite Wayne Gretzky moment, Chris The Intern yells about traffic circles and much, MUCH more!
- Episode 4 – Neon Leon
- Episode 5 – Ya Jinked It!
- Episode 6 – Nation Battle Royale
- Episode 7 – The Brownlee Christmas Spectacular
- Episode 8 – Return Of The CTI
- Episode 9 – NxNGretz Holiday Special
- Episode 10 – An NxNGretz New Years
- Episode 11 – Is There A TV Doctor In The House?
- Episode 12 – Making An Interner
- Episode 13 – Guilty Pleasures