Zzzzzzzzzzz Final Score: 2-1 Devils
All I really wanted for this game was for the Oilers to not lay a turd on the ice the way they had in Montreal and New York. The bar was pretty low. Would it be nice if they pulled out a win? Yes, of course, but I mostly just didn’t want to be embarrassed to be an Oilers fan — is that too much to ask? I don’t think so. I guess I never understood how the same team that absolutely pumped the Ottawa Senators could also be lit up the next two games. Then again, we’re Oilers fans so finding new and creative ways to be disappointed should never be surprising.
Remember back in the day when Gretzky called the Devils a “Mickey Mouse organization?” It’s hilarious to think about with some hindsight. There hasn’t been a team worse than the Oilers over the past 10 seasons. That’s 10 whole years of “suck(ing) the hind banana” as Pat Quinn once put it. It’s almost impressive! I mean, how haven’t the Oilers ever been accidentally good at anything but the lottery? The tank life is strong, I guess. “Never has a tank been built this sturdy” future generations of Oilers fans will someday say.
As for tonight’s game, the Oilers certainly played better than they did on the weekend. That’s not really saying much and I’m not sure how they could have possibly played worse, but it’s true nevertheless. Frankly, Edmonton rolled into New Jersey with the lines blended and an ability to salvage points on this road trip against a tired Devils team that was playing on back-to-back nights. The Oilers had plenty of chances to take an early lead but they couldn’t cash in on anything. In the end it was the missed opportunities, both at regular strength and on the power play, that cost the Oilers the game.
This was a winnable game against a tired team, but once again the Oilers couldn’t take advantage.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- There is no one better at missing the net than the Edmonton Oilers. Masters of the craft.
- He’s fresh into his NHL career but Connor McDavid makes any Oilers game more entertaining. His puck puck pursuit on Jordan’s Eberle’s goal (his 15th) was a thing of beauty. He may have lost the draw but he never lost the puck.
- Brandon Davidson continues to impress Todd McLellan as he played a team leading 20:34 tonight. Not only is he a great story, he’s turning out to be a pretty damn good defenseman.
- Cam Talbot was much better than he was on the weekend. He made the saves you would expect him to make and he kept the Oilers in it. He finished the night with 24 saves and a .923 save%
- They didn’t lose as bad as they did on the weekend?
THE FACE PALMERS
- The Oilers had plenty of early chances to score but they could never seem to cash on anything. It’s tough to win games when you only score one goal.
- The New Jersey Devils play an insanely boring brand of hockey. Awful to watch. To make matters worse the Devils played last night and the Oilers still couldn’t take advantage.
- I don’t know how many times the Oilers tried to break out by floating three guys at centre ice and trying to send through a long pass. That never works. Not now, not ever.
- This isn’t a new story, but the Oilers couldn’t get anything done on the power play. They had plenty of chances to take the lead but the PP couldn’t get anything done. Injuries aside, I think the disappearance of the power play (was there ever one?) has cost the Oilers more than a few wins this season. They went 0/3 on the night on the PP.
- At least the Oilers keep things consistent by losing both ends of the special teams battle. New Jersey went 2/5 on the power play.
- Don’t ever stop partying Gaudreau and Monahan. Fight for your right to do it. I believe in you, brothers.
- There wasn’t enough flu meds to make this game enjoyable.
|10:33||NJD||PPG – Adam Henrique (18) Wrist shot – ASST: Lee Stempniak (25), Reid Boucher (2)||1 – 0 NJD|
|11:39||EDM||Jordan Eberle (15) Snap shot – ASST: Benoit Pouliot (16), Connor McDavid (12)||1 – 1 Tie|
|07:13||NJD||PPG – Reid Boucher (3) Snap shot – ASST: Adam Henrique (18), Tyler Kennedy (6)||2 – 1 NJD|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
@OilersNation when McDavid gets off the ice I look at my phone to read tweets about McDavid until he’s back on the ice
— Jalal Teliani (@JalalTeliani) February 10, 2016
— The Towel Boy (@TheTowelBoy) February 10, 2016
@OilersNation I see the Flames gave Monahan and Johnny hockey the night off to watch McDavid
— Kevin A (@CapitalKep) February 10, 2016
@OilersNation you take that back!!!!!
don’t even go there and taint him….
— Shaun Hunter (@KingPinYEG) February 10, 2016
THE NORTH x NORTHGRETZ PODCAST
Live from the #NationSkiTrip in Jasper! This week the boys are joined by a very special guest, one of the ORIGINAL Oilersnation commenters The Towel Boy! They talk about the return of Connor McDavid, expectations for the rest of the season, how much fun they’re having in Jasper, share some old school Oilersnation memories, and much, much more!
- Episode 5 – Ya Jinked It!
- Episode 6 – Nation Battle Royale
- Episode 7 – The Brownlee Christmas Spectacular
- Episode 8 – Return Of The CTI
- Episode 9 – NxNGretz Holiday Special
- Episode 10 – An NxNGretz New Years
- Episode 11 – Is There A TV Doctor In The House?
- Episode 12 – Making An Interner
- Episode 13 – Guilty Pleasures
- Episode 14 – All Star Weekend