The Edmonton Oilers released their 2016-17 regular season schedule this morning. There are some games of note, some long road trips, back-to-backs and everything in between. Here’s what you need to know.
- They will play eight pre-season games between September 26th and October 8th. Three of them will be split squad games, and one will be held in Lumby, BC.
- The Oilers will kick-off their inaugural season at Rogers Place with a good ol’ fashion Battle Of Alberta game on October 12th. They finish up the home-and-home in Calgary on October 14th.
- We’ll get to watch Connor embarrass Jack Eichel early in the season this year. The Sabres will be in town on October 16th. Will Jack better Connor in their second meeting? I doubt it.
- The Oilers will FINALLY be playing in another outdoor game, which will be the Heritage Classic at Investors Group Field on October 23rd in Winnipeg. My suitcase is already packed, as you might see another Nation road trip happening around that time. Stay tuned.
- There are four afternoon games scheduled this season. One of them being on November 27th at 1pm at home, the same day as the Grey Cup.
- Toronto Maple Leafs will be here on November 29th. We will get our first live view of Auston Matthews, but more importantly, Matthews will learn why McDavid was the greatest draft pick in the history of draft picks.
- As usual, the Oilers will be playing a New Years Eve game against the Canucks at home.
- Edmonton will be playing ten back-to-back games this season. Whoever ends up being our back-up goalie this season is sure to see some good minutes.
- Out of 13 March games, the Oilers only play 11 of them at home, eight of them being in a row (March 4th to 20th). Whereas in February, only three of the nine games are at home, and in November, five of 15 games are at home.
- IF Stanley Cup Winner Justin Schultz stays in Pittsburgh, we won’t get to see his ring and new-found glory until March 10th.
- The Oilers take on the Avalanche on March 25th at home. *cough cough* my birthday. Boy would that be a cool present. Eh guys?
- 13 of the last 18 games will be held at Rogers Place. This will be my favourite part of the season as I believe during this time the Oilers will be fighting hard for a final playoff spot. Exciting hockey will be happening.
- The Oilers play a home-and-home against the Canucks to close out the regular season on April 8th and 9th. Here’s to hoping those games won’t be the last of their season.
THE DRAFT PARTY
There are few certainties in life – we can always count on the sun coming up in the morning, Edmonton winters being dreadful, and the Oilers missing the playoffs. As such, we present the annual OilersNation Draft Party! It’s time to honour the the anniversary of drafting our beloved Connor, celebrate the rewards of another failed season, and raise some money for charity.
Here’s what you need to know…
The party is happening at the Pint Downtown on Friday, June 24th. The goal is to raise as much money as possible for the Red Cross and their efforts to bring normalcy back to Fort McMurray, and have a little bit of fun while we’re at it. For $30 you get a Draft Party t-shirt, a $10 Pint GC, a $10 Oodle Noodle GC, a draft party collectors cup, and a chance for prizes and eternal glory.
All proceeds from tickets sold will be donated directly to the Red Cross so bring your friends, get involved, and help us support a community in need. Tickets are still available here.
One day, the Oilers will be a good hockey team and we’ll all be able to laugh about this. Until then, we party.