The hockey is happening! Across many leagues, levels and countries, Oilers players and prospects are in action. Here’s a quick look at progress, with an emphasis on the bubbling under prospects.
Leon Draisaitl leads Germany over Latvia 3-2 with 1G 1A.
— Vaughn Woodruff (@conkanen) September 4, 2016
Leon Draisaitl helped Germany qualify for the Olympics (Group C) this weekend. He finished the tournament 3-2-5 in 3 games played and looks ready for the World Cup of Hockey and then Oilers camp.
— Patrick C (@ChunkletsHockey) September 4, 2016
Two players to follow this season in the Russian league:
- Bogdan Yakimov 1, 1-0-1 and 13:12 in his first game of the year. He got a late start due to injury.
- Ziyat Paigin 4, 0-0-0 and 16:16 a night. He has missed a couple of games early in the schedule.
- Filip Berglund went 3gp, 0-1-1 for the Swedish U20 team in a recent tournament. Also 2, 0-1-1 for Skellefteå AIK in the SHL (I believe pre-season).
— Vancouver Giants (@WHLGiants) August 31, 2016
- Tyler Benson, Vancouver Giants (WHL) 2, 1-2-3
- Ethan Bear, Seattle Thunderbirds (WHL) 2, 1-1-2
- Caleb Jones, Portland Winterhawks (WHL) 1, 0-0-0
- Markus Niemelainen, Saginaw Spirit (OHL) 1, 0-0-0
Early days, but Benson is healthy and Bear is playing well in a year where he could post some impressive boxcars once the regular season begins. I am uncertain if any of these players will be in the mix for the World Juniors, but strong performances in their junior leagues should be the expectation.