Ryan Pike at Flamesnation posted an excellent update on Calgary’s eligible list for the September Young Stars tournament in Penticton. Since Flamesnation is a friend of ours (seriously), I’m sure they won’t mind if I lift the idea and have a lash at Edmonton’s invite list.
If the teams run with last year’s rule (fewer than 100 pro hockey games for all combatants) the Oilers should have a very large list to choose from. Recent draft picks (2015+), college men and invites from the Orientation Camp in summer are all possible. Here is the universal talent pool as I see it, with 2016-17 numbers and league.
- Nick Ellis. Bakersfield (AHL) 34gp, 2.69 .918.
- Stuart Skinner. Lethbridge (WHL) 60gp, 3.26 .905.
- Shane Starrett. Air Force (NCAA) 37gp, 1.99 .925.
- Dylan Wells. Peterborough (OHL) 52gp, 3.07 .916.
LEFT DEFENSEMEN (5)
- Caleb Jones. Portland (WHL) 63gp, 9-53-62.
- William Lagesson. UMass-Amherst (NCAA) 36gp, 2-6-8. Headed for Europe, so may not attend based on scheduling.
- Markus Niemelainen. Saginaw (OHL). 59gp, 3-6-9. Headed for Europe, so may not attend based on scheduling.
- Ziyat Paigin. Ak Bars Kazan (KHL) 17gp, 1-3-4; Bakersfield (AHL) 5gp, 0-0-0. He has 95 KHL and 5 AHL games, so is barely eligible.
- Dmitri Samorukov. Guelph (OHL) 67gp, 4-16-20.
RIGHT DEFENSE (3)
- Ethan Bear. Seattle (WHL) 67gp, 28-42-70.
- Sahvan Kaira. Swift Current (WHL). 70gp, 1-16-17.
- Ryan Mantha. Niagara (OHL) 65, 17-41-58; Bakersfield (AHL) 2gp, 0-0-0.
- LC Joe Gambardella. UMass-Lowell (NCAA) 41gp, 18-34-52; Bakersfield (AHL) 6gp, 1-2-3.
- LC Kevin Klima. Chicoutimi (QMJHL) 32gp, 4-10-14; Moncton (QMJHL) 29gp, 4-18-22.
- RC Steve Owre. Medicine Hat (WHL) 71gp, 26-62-88.
- LC Brandon Saigeon. Hamilton (OHL) 66gp, 21-28-49.
- RC Ethan Szypula. Owen Sound (OHL) 64gp, 11-36-47.
LEFT WING (3)
- Tyler Benson. Vancouver (WHL) 33gp, 11-31-42.
- Kirill Maksimov. Niagara (OHL) 66gp, 21-17-38.
- Evan Polei. Red Deer (WHL) 69gp, 33-29-62; Bakersfield (AHL) 1gp, 0-0-0.
RIGHT WING (6)
- Chad Butcher. Medicine Hat (WHL) 68gp, 27-76-103.
- Dave Gust. Ohio State (NCAA). 39gp, 18-23-41.
- Kelly Klima. Chicoutimi (QMJHL) 35gp, 8-9-17; Moncton (QMJHL) 31gp, 14-18-32.
- David Koch. Edmonton (WHL) 72gp, 21-49-70.
- Patrick Russell. Bakersfield (AHL) 68gp, 8-9-17.
- Kailer Yamamoto. Spokane (WHL) 65gp, 42-57-99.
PROBABLY NOT GOING
Matt Benning, Jesse Puljujarvi and Drake Caggiula are all eligible to play in this tournament, but my guess is the organization regards these men as NHL players in 2018-19. College men like John Marino, Aapeli Rasanen and Tyler Vesel won’t be playing pro so won’t be at the tournament. A player like Evan Campbell, unsigned after his college career, might be an option. I’ll be on the lookout for TC invites who qualify to play in the tournament and will update as we get closer to Penticton.