The Oilers pre-season dominance continues. Final score: 5-3.
Who wants to play a game? Let’s try name every Vancouver Canuck player that was in the lineup tonight. You can hardly name anyone? Good, we’re on the same page. I’ve actually heard of MacEwan before! But only cause I went to school there… anyways, tonight was another almost-AHL roster playing an arguable AHL roster and it showed.
Since all of the Canuck veterans are still coming back from China or wherever the h*ck they are, this is the time for the newbies to step up and prove themselves. The Oilers excelled again and will soon be named the 2017 pre-season champions if they keep winning like this.
Tonight’s game was a combination of boring, effortless, AHL quality skill with the odd entertaining moment. Most importantly, we got to see some serious skills from our first round pick, which will create quite the story line come the regular season. Let’s wrap.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Kailer Yamamoto had another unreal game tonight and was without a doubt the most dynamic players on the ice. Unfortunately I don’t think in any circumstance we will see him make the team, it’s too bad because he’s doing everything right.
- Alright back to this Yamamoto thing.. he keeps scoring and he keeps making me re-think his future. He’s going to make it the hardest decision ever to send him down. Four goals in three pre-season games? His hockey sense is unreal, and definitely deserves a nine-game look if you ask me.
- Draisaitl was an absolute beast tonight as per usual. The guy is playing like he just signed the contract of his lifetime and doesn’t plan on slowing down anytime soon.
- As soft as both Iiro The Hero’s goals in the second and third period looked tonight as they floated past Bachman, they really were lasers. Iiro has a great shot and I really hope we see it more this season.
- Auvitu played a really smart and strong game. He’s extremely poised with the puck and is playing like he really wants a roster spot on this team. I wouldn’t mind seeing him getting one after his pre-season performance so far.
- AHL roster or not, it always puts a smile on my face seeing the Canucks lose and suffer.
- Good on Callahan for dropping the mitts against LaPlante. Wasn’t the greatest tilly I’ve seen but you gotta do what you gotta do to get noticed.
- Laurent Brossoit didn’t have his greatest game and I’d like to blame the lack of shots for that. He still made a couple huge, timely breakaway saves when we needed them, and that gets a bright side bullet point in my books!
- It was nice seeing a couple local boys in Oilers sweaters tonight. For me personally, I remember following Ty Rattie and Keegan Lowe when they were younger and in the Edmonton hockey world so it was cool seeing them back.
THE FACE PALMERS
- A game without Connor McDavid is a game I lose majority of my interest in.
- In pre-skate today Iiro pegged Cam Talbot once in the collar bone, and nearly a second time up high. For the first time in his life, Cam got angry showed it. Not cool Iiro, not cool. Good thing he had a solid night tonight!
- It’s been said before and I’ll say it again, there are too many preseason games. This can make for some action-less games as guys are playing at 75% while trying not to get injured or exhausted.
- Brossoit didn’t get tested a lot tonight which makes it very mentally exhausting. He let in a 45 footer in the third period which I’m sure he’d like back.
|13:17||Vancouver||PPG – Michael Carcone (1) ASST: Evan McEneny (2), Jalen Chatfield (3)||1-0|
|19:24||Edmonton||Leon Draisaitl (1) ASST: Milan Lucic (2), Drake Caggiula (1)||1-1|
|05:17||Edmonton||Kailer Yamamoto (3) ASST: Chris Kelly (1)||1-2|
|09:31||Edmonton||SHG – Iiro Pakarinen (1) ASST: Mark Fayne (1), Oscar Klefbom (2)||1-3|
|04:04||Vancouver||Anton Rodin (2) ASST: Jayson Megna (3), Evan McEneny (3)||2-3|
|04:41||Edmonton||Iiro Pakarinen (2)||2-4|
|12:38||Edmonton||PPG – Kailer Yamamoto (4) ASST: Leon Draisaitl (2), Drake Caggiula (2)||2-5|
|14:23||Vancouver||Jalen Chatfield (2) ASST: Nikolay Goldobin (2), Michael Carcone (1)||3-5|
Yamamoto makes the Nuge look like an elderly man 👶🏼 pic.twitter.com/dlUEQLkp6k
— Wanye (@WanyeGretz) September 23, 2017
Keegan Slowe https://t.co/4Dy4MugAdo
— Mike (@LateFiennes) September 23, 2017
yes, yamamoto looks good against vancouver's 'C' team, but hear me out now, he looked pretty good against winnipeg's 'A' team the other day
— Jeff Chapman (@NewWaveOil) September 23, 2017
I want Iiro to score with Yamamoto. There’s a “Big Hero 6” reference in there somewhere, I’m sure of it.
— The Towel Boy (@TheTowelBoy) September 23, 2017