Taylor Hall and the New Jersey Devils return to Edmonton in Hall’s free agent season. Hall is almost assuredly going to free agency. The Devils are awful. They’re 4-6-4 and show little signs of turning it around. Hall’s played some truly terrible teams. If, or when, the Devils don’t make the playoffs, Hall will have only made the playoffs once in his 10 seasons in the NHL.
Maybe there’s a fit for Hall back in Edmonton. The Oilers need more depth on forward and can probably manoeuvre enough space to accommodate Hall’s new cap hit.
Both Cory Schneider and Mackenzie Blackwood have save percentages below .890. This is a team the Oilers should be able to score against. And by Oilers, I mean non-McDavid lines.
I don’t think the Oilers played poorly against the St. Louis Blues, but they obviously want to get back in the win column against New Jersey. The Devils are an opponent the Oilers should beat and they did just that.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Hall probably leaves New Jersey and the Oilers will have Adam Larsson for two more seasons? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- Nico Hischier gets a good chance and puts the puck in, but the whistle had already gone.
- Wayne Simmonds follows up with another solid look and Mikko Koskinen makes the stop.
- Jack Hughes will always sound like j’accuse. Sacre bleu!
- Hall gets a breakaway and rings the post. In Rod We Trust.
- Give me more Ethan Bear on the power play.
- Leon Draisaitl scores his 14th goal of the season on a breakaway. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins sent him in all alone early in the second period.
- Draisaitl has an eight-game point streak and 30 points on the year. Wow.
- The Devils’ power play looks very bad. This is good!
- Gaetan Haas tips in a Matt Benning point shot.
- Bottom. Six. Scoring.
- James Neal gets his 12th goal. The Devils aren’t good.
- Chiasson breaks his cold streak.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Oilers’ first power play was a dud.
Alex Chiasson cannot buy a goal. Last year, everything was going in for him. This year, he’s almost at 15 goalless games to start the season. Yikes.I wrote this in the first period. Chiasson scored it in the third. You’re welcome.
- Oscar Klefbom gets a penalty for closing his hand on the puck. Yes, really.
- Klefbom didn’t get a breakaway out of the penalty box. ;(
- I know they want to give all the big boys time on the first power play unit, but it’s unfortunate they’re all left-handed shots. A right shot would open up a lot of options that aren’t available with an all-lefty power play.
- I was about to write how the Granlund-Haas-Russell line looked good, but they scored so no one will believe me.
- Neal currently has 12 goals. 12 more goals than Milan Lucic. The Oilers might have to give up a dreaded third-round pick.
- A mess at the benches with both the Oilers and Devils with way too many players on the ice ends up with an Edmonton penalty. Strange.
- Oilers penalty means we have to watch more of this terrible Devils power play.
|01:55||EDMONTON||LEON DRAISAITL (14) ASST: RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS (9)||1-0|
|15:45||EDMONTON||GAETAN HAAS (2) ASST: MATT BENNING (5), KRIS RUSSELL (3)||2-0|
|16:51||EDMONTON||JAMES NEAL (12) ASST: ALEX CHIASSON (4), JOEL PERSSON (2)||3-0|
|06:02||EDMONTON||PPG – ALEX CHIASSON (1) ASST: RYAN NUGENT-HOPKINS (10), LEON DRAISAITL (17)||4-0|
That non-goal was right in front of me and probably should have counted. Lucky break for the Oilers there. 😬 pic.twitter.com/uZ1mgIPykM
— Baggedmilk – Oilers Beet writer (@jsbmbaggedmilk) November 9, 2019
Archi Scores tonight #Oilers
— Hernan Salas (@HernanDaMan) November 9, 2019
— Paul Almeida (@AzorcanGlobal) November 9, 2019
Great period for the Nuge so far given its mere days after his 18th birthday #immortalone
— Wanye (@WanyeGretz) November 9, 2019
Based on my timeline, something played twice during the intermission. I was in the bathroom. You know, maybe old age is going to work out after all.
— Lowetide (@Lowetide) November 9, 2019
( (> POINT STREAK
— Edmonton Oilers (@EdmontonOilers) November 9, 2019
The Oilers have a promo where fans win chicken if the team scores within a minute of the timer starting. Every time they've run it, the clock starts with one of the bottom two lines on the ice. Smart thinking.
— Daniel Nugent-Bowman (@DNBsports) November 9, 2019
Oilers rocking the Team North America World Cup sweaters https://t.co/x5aamN3f7F
— Arthur Staple (@StapeAthletic) November 9, 2019
Klefbom to the box for being too sexy when playing the puck.
— Nathan McLean (@nathanmclean0) November 9, 2019
The "five lefties" 5v4 strategy looks just cooked at this point. Might be time to adjust.
— T-Hup (@thupka1982) November 9, 2019
I bet NJ would trade one of their top scorers for a shut down D Right about now maybe even one for one
— Wanye (@WanyeGretz) November 9, 2019
Can I just say John Hynes is the most grim looking dude I've ever seen
— Cowboy Roy (@SteezyRoy) November 9, 2019
Fabbri with two goals right away. I'm guessing this was Chiarelli's idea.
— Jiminy Hitch (@ThomsonCam) November 9, 2019
I just want to point out #NeonLeon has 1 🚨 and 2 🍎s since he took this pic with me.
You’re welcome. 😂 pic.twitter.com/My5NuROaO2
— 🅽🅰🆃🅸🅾🅽 🅳🅰🅽 🍥 (@TheNationDan) November 9, 2019
Fall for Hall in 2010. Feel for Hall in 2019.
— Christian Pagnani (@chrispagnani) November 9, 2019
Too Many Men? Whaaaaa….?
Nah…you must be blind, Reid. 8 players is perfectly normal.
— Fauph (@TheFauph) November 9, 2019