Can you believe how time flies? Christmas is right around the corner! Let’s get in the festive spirit! For this week’s What Would You Do Wednesday SUNDAY EDITION) we’ll all present to Santa our Christmas Wishlist for the Edmonton Oilers.
Hopefully, we as a fanbase behaved well this year so that our stockings will be full of all kinds of good stuff on Christmas morning. I don’t want to sound too greedy, but I have a pretty big list of things I’m asking to get on Christmas this year…
- A winger for Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. We know already that it isn’t going to be Taylor Hall, but I would love to see baby Nuge have a real winger to play with on a game-to-game basis. It’s hard to justify splitting up the McDrai combo, so a quality, play-driving winger to make life easier for RNH is at the top of my list. Should I also ask for a new contract for RNH for Christmas, or is that a next year thing?
- For Mike Smith to find his game. It seemed as though Mike Smith had captured some kind of magic early on in the season, but, as of late, his play has totally fallen off a cliff. The Oilers have become one of the league’s worst teams at keeping the puck out of the net, and a big part of that has been Smith’s shaky play. Can Santa bring Smith back whatever magic elixir he was drinking back in October?
- No more crowd shots during the games. One of the weirdest things during Oilers games is the camera darting around to put random fans on the Jumbotron during stoppages of play while loud electronic music blasts in the stadium. We need more creative content to fill these dead zones, like crowd chants and animated videos that get people fired up. While we’re at it, let’s also bring back the famous Rexall Beers (and their prices) to Rogers.
- Bring back the metallic sperm jersey. One thing going on around the league I’ve loved recently is teams leaning into weird old jerseys and bringing them back to life. For example, the Canucks brought their Halloween V jersey back from the dead this year and it was magical. I would love to see the Oilers rock that wack, mid-2000s dark blue and silver jersey with the comet on it, even if it was only a couple of times a year.
- This one isn’t Oilers-related per se, but it’s an important one. I want to see NHL players allowed back in the Olympics in 2022. No offence to Ben Scrivens and Gilbert Brule, but not having NHL players completely zapped the interest from the event in 2018. This is also important because 2022 could be our only chance to watch Connor McDavid and @Sidney Crosby represent Canada together on the world’s largest stage.
What say you, Nation? What are you asking for from Santa? Let’s see your Christmas lists this year.