The NHL is on pause until Monday, and the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers haven’t played since last Saturday. So let’s see how well you know your hometown team.
Here’s some trivia — a mix of random questions, head-scratchers and ones that will challenge your memory.
1. Name the three franchises Edmonton has won 100+ games against.
2. Name the three players the Oilers drafted from the St. Albert Saints who played in the NHL.
3. Since GF% became public in 2008, can you name the Oilers forward who had the highest GF% at 5×5 on one season? (Minimum 40 games played.)
4. Who was the first captain of the Edmonton Oilers?
5. Edmonton has drafted 13 players who went on to play 1,000 NHL games. Can you name the player who played 1,000 games, but the fewest with the Oilers?
6. Can you name the Oilers player who played 1,000 NHL games, and had the highest percentage of those games played with the Oilers?
7. Name the two Oilers who hold the record for most points scored in one period.
8. Name the three Oilers who have scored five goals in one game.
9. Name the two defencemen who have scored three OT goals as a member of the Oilers.
10. Sixteen Oilers have scored at least three goals in the shootout. Name the three who are 50% or better with the Oilers.
11. Name the two Oilers who have scored three power play goals in one game.
12. Who had more assists as a member of the Oilers, Brandon Davidson or Eric Gryba?
13. Name the three Oilers D-men who had 200+ shots in at least two seasons with Edmonton.
14. Wayne Gretzky holds the top six spots for most shots by a forward in a single season. Name the forward who has the seventh most shots in a single season in franchise history.
15. Name the two players the Oilers drafted from the Sherwood Park Crusaders.
16. Name the three Oilers who had 250+ penalty minutes in one season.
17. Name the four Oilers have who have scored 50 goals and 100 points in the same season.
18. Name the Oilers goalie who had three assists in only 12 games played with Edmonton.
19. Which goalie played the most games in Edmonton but never recorded an assist?
20. Which two Oilers are tied for the lowest +/- ranking in one season?
Answers will be posted at 1:45 p.m. MT today. Feel free to post any answers you think you know in the comment section.
**Here are the answers.**
1. Vancouver (133), Winnipeg/Arizona (112) and Calgary (110).
2. Fernando Pisani, Geoff Smith and Dean Clark.
3.Anton Slepyshev at 63.1GF% in 2017. He was 12-7 in 41 games.
Leon Draisaitl posted a 62.5% (55-33) last season in 56 games.
Connor McDavid had 62.1% (77-47) in 82 games in 2017.
Dustin Penner had 60.2% (44-29) in 82 games in 2009.
4. Ron Chipperfield in 1979/1980. He was traded at the deadline in 1981 and Blair MacDonald was named captain, then he was traded the following year and Lee Fogolin was named Captain before Wayne Gretzky got the “C.”
5. Miroslav Satan played 126 games with Edmonton and 1050 overall.
Jason Chimera played 130 games with Edmonton and 1107 overall.
6. Kevin Lowe played 1254 games and 1037 (82.6%) with Edmonton.
Shawn Horcoff played 1008 games and 796 (78.9%) with Edmonton.
Ryan Smyth played 1270 games and 971 (76.4%) with the Oilers.
7. Sam Gagner (2012 v. Chicago) and Jari Kurri (1984 v. LA) each had five points in a period.
8. Wayne Gretzky (4 times), Kurri and Pat Hughes.
9. Eric Brewer and Darnell Nurse.
10. Mike Cammalleri was 75% (3 of 4), Ryan Potulny was 60% (3 of 5) and Horcoff was 50% (10 of 20).
11. Glenn Anderson (v. Toronto in 1998) and McDavid (v. COL in 2019).
12. Gryba had 11 assists and Davidson had nine. They each played 114 games with the Oilers.
13. Paul Coffey did it five times (308, 285, 260, 259 and 234), Dave Manson twice (244 and 206) and Oscar Klefbom also twice (203 and 201).
14. Taylor Hall had 286 shots in 2016. Gretzky holds the top six spots with 370, 354, 350, 348, 326 and 288 shots.
15. Carter Savoie (2020) and Kyuin Shim (1992).
16. Steve Smith had 286 in 1988. Kevin McClelland had 281 (1988) and 264 (1986) and Marty McSorley had 265 in 1986.
17. Gretzky (8x), Kurri (4x) and Draisaitl and Anderson once.
18. Peter Ing had three assists in 12 games played in 1991-92.
19. Nikolai Khabibulin played 117 games and didn’t pick up an assist. Next is Mathieu Garon (62 games) and Ty Conklin (60).
20. Patrick O’Sullivan (2010) and Nail Yakupov (2015) where both -35.
MONTH OF GIVING…
Thank you Tyler and Frank for their bids on the PS5 from Pathfind and the Mondo Mechanical Air purification package.
Day 16: Package #1: Golf, Dinner and Hockey.
- Four rounds of golf at The Royal Mayfair Golf Golf Course and $100 Food and beverage credit.
- $200 GC for dinner at Pip restaurant
- Four Loge Ledge seats (with parking pass) for March 30th Oilers\Kings game.
- Four Loge seats (with parking pass) to an Oil Kings game of your choice in 2022.
Package #2: Quantum Speed Developmental Package
- One “Gap Control” personal meeting with Quantum Speed General Manager & Master Instructor, Vanessa Hettinger. This session is designed to customize the most effective off-season for your player. For parents or coaches wanting to build programming to support the next level .
- Their signature Q3 program. Three weeks during the spring or summer months. 12 on-ice sessions, plus off-ice and mental performance training sessions with Olympic and NHL skating coach Steffany Hanlen. This is NOT a learn to skate program. Must be 12 years + (U13 to Pro) to participate.
- A $500 gift card to Quantum Speed’s partner retail store, ProSkate Edmonton, towards a purchase of new gear or skates.
- An “Icebox” surprise gift box for your hockey or ringette player to put under the tree.
You can bid by listening to TSN 1260 between 2-6 p.m. today and calling 780.444.1260 or text 101260. All money raised will help out The Christmas Bureau. Thanks in advance.
Recently by Jason Gregor:
- Ten Tuesday Questions
- Monday Musings: Schedule Maker’s Nightmare
- Slump Busters
- GDB 28.0: Take A Break From Losing
- Game Notes: Unlucky Seven?
- Help Me Understand: NHL, Hot Takes and More