THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The game is over.
- Milan Lucic absolutely smashed home his fourth goal of the year after Connor walked into the Blues’ zone and set him up on a tee. The game was all but over at that point but I will never get tired of watching #97 play hockey.
- Leon Draisaitl scored his first goal late in the third period when the last thing that really mattered was a goal.
- Darnell Nurse scored his first goal of the year after a nice little play by Draisaitl and Nugent-Hopkins. It came at a ‘who cares’ moment but it is nice for Darryl to get on the board.
- Connor McDavid missed yesterday’s practice with some kind of illness and I was happy to see that he was on the ice this morning. I mean, it goes without saying that the Oilers are a better team with Connor on the ice and that rings true even if he’s only playing at 85%. Just as a reminder, CONNOR IS NOT THE PROBLEM. I love him.
- Two points for Nuge tonight. He looked much better with Draisaitl than they did against on Saturday against Dallas.
- I’m giving props to Brossoit for coming in in an unwinnable situation. No matter how many goals the Blues were going to score, Brossoit was going to be the one that took it on the chin. Did he let in four? Yes. Did he have to pay for the team being embarrassing? Also yes.
- Anyone else crack up laughing when Matt Benning dropped the mitts and started popping Tarasenko? As sad as it is to say, this was a highlight for me. If you want to see it again, you can always check out the scrap on Benning’s player page over at HockeyFights.com.
THE FACE PALMERS
- What didn’t go wrong tonight? Bad game. Bad effort. Bad vibes. Bad Oilers.
- Vladimir Tarasenko opened the scoring just after the three minute mark of the first period. Klefbom got beat on the play and, just like that, the Blues were up a goal before the game had even really started. Tarasenko scored again in the third period but the game was long over by that point.
- Dmitrij Jaskin added a second goal for the Blues only five minutes later on what was truly a horrible goal. It really wasn’t surprising that Todd McLellan pulled Talbot after that one because it was ugly.
- Jaden Schwartz added the Blues’ third goal (first past Brossoit) that added another nail in the coffin that was the Oilers’ chances of winning.
- By the time Brayden Schenn got the fourth St. Louis goal of the night, this thing looked like men against boys. Frankly, Chiarelli is lucky this team has no chance of being relegated.
- Scottie Upshall scored the fifth Blues goal of the night. By this point, I had lost interest in what was going on and wasn’t really paying attention all that much.
- Cam Talbot got pulled after allowing two goals on three shots. I don’t know what’s going on with his confidence right now but I just want to let him know that I’m here to talk. Even if you want to have a fun day out, we can do that too. Whatever you need, man, I’m here for you.
- Klefbom, you’re killing me this season, buddy. You are a shadow of the man you were a year ago.
- The giveaways at both blue lines are killing me right now. I don’t know why the default play is to try and throw the puck across the ice rather than get it deep, but it has to stop. So many of these giveaways could be prevented if they made the smart play.
- Why do the Oilers have such a hard time breaking out of their zone right now? Why can’t they make the simple passes that it takes to move the puck ahead? What is it? Are they flying the zone too early? Are they missing the small details? What are they always stuck in the defensive end of the ice?
- Let’s be honest. There weren’t many highlights to mention tonight and the fact that this isn’t the first time we’ve had a game like this is infuriating.
- Outshot 40-29. Surprised? Of course not.
- MORE BEETS FOR ME I GUESS! I hate you right now, Oilers. I really do. Join in on the #BeetCase and Oilers Q&A over on my Twitter.
Vladimir Tarasenko (11) ASST: Brayden Schenn (19)
Dmitrij Jaskin (2) ASST: Oskar Sundqvist (3), Robert Bortuzzo (4)
Jaden Schwartz (11) ASST: Vladimir Tarasenko (13), Brayden Schenn (20)
Brayden Schenn (9) ASST: Jaden Schwartz (17)
Milan Lucic (4) ASST: Connor McDavid (16), Drake Caggiula (2)
Scottie Upshall (3) ASST: Chris Thorburn (2), Kyle Brodziak (5)
Vladimir Tarasenko (12) ASST: Jaden Schwartz (18), Alex Pietrangelo (13)
PPG – Brayden Schenn (10) ASST: Colton Parayko (7), Vladimir Tarasenko (14)
Leon Draisaitl (6) ASST: Kris Russell (6), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (8)
Paul Stastny (5) ASST: Alexander Steen (7), Colton Parayko (8)
Darnell Nurse (1) ASST: Leon Draisaitl (10), Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (9)
By the end of the season, @jsbmbaggedmilk is going to be more beet than man. Twisted and evil.
— John Epler (@eplerjc) November 22, 2017
"I'm not going to do like @jsbmbaggedmilk did, and go on some fricking beet diet" – my dad trying to express his disappointment with the Oilers
— Amanda (@2sfhf) November 22, 2017
Just rehash any of the Wrap Ups from the decade of despair. Change the names of the lucky bastards that got traded away to protect their dignity
— Wade Poloway Photogr (@munch34m) November 22, 2017
That Lucic goal was entirely McDavids fault. #waytoruinallensshutout
— tunkfunk (@tunkfunk) November 22, 2017