UPDATED! Mr Poopy Pants II: Dany Comes Calling

Robin Brownlee
November 26 2009 09:29PM

HERE IT IS OFFICIALLY, as per Oilers release: OILERS HEMSKY TO HAVE SURGERY General Manager Steve Tambellini announced today right winger Ales Hemsky will undergo surgery to repair his left shoulder. Hemsky, 26, has played in 22 games this season recording seven goals and 15 assists.  The Pardubice,Czech native has played his entire career with the Oilers skating in 443 games, tallying 353 points, including his 100th career goal on November 23 vs. the Phoenix Coyotes.

UPDATE FROM ROBIN B (12:42 MST):  Given Quinn's reaction to the question about surgery being needed for Hemsky, we can only wait and see on this one. I'm trying to provide ON readers with the most up-to-date stuff here and I felt based on what I was told and who told me it was worth posting. The rumour spread pretty quickly among reporters this morning and I don't know if other outlets posted items, but they were certainly all over it when word got out. All I can tell you is my info didn't come from that "Did you hear about Hemsky?" buzz among reporters. All I can say at this point is I'm still inclined to believe what I was told -- I don't see why Hemsky would meet with doctors today to discuss the MRI if the opinion was "it'll be fine with 10 days rest."  If the team provides an update, you'll get it here.

FURTHER UPDATE (11:26 MST): The Oilers have not confirmed the need for Hemsky to have surgery. At his availability with media after the morning skate, Coach Pat Quinn said Hemsky is meeting with doctors today to discuss the results of Thursday's MRI. When asked about the possibility of surgery for Hemsky, Quinn said, "I'm not aware of anything like that." Stay tuned for more details over the day.

UPDATE FROM BROWNLEE (10:30 MST): I'm hearing that Ales Hemsky will need surgery and is likely done for the rest of the season. No official word from the Oilers yet. Will update later.

Fans can boo Dany Heatley until their vocal chords are raw and they spew $8 beers Friday, but chances are he's going to get the last laugh when the San Jose Sharks beat the Edmonton Oilers at Rexall Place.>

The fact is, Heatley, who flipped off the Oilers last summer when he refused to waive a no-movement clause that would have brought him to Edmonton from the Ottawa Senators for Dustin Penner, Andrew Cogliano and Ladislav Smid, is already laughing out loud at our expense because he got what he wanted -- and that wasn't the City of Champions.

Heatley's playing for a better team than the Oilers in the Western Conference leading Sharks. He's drawing his $8-million salary in the Silicon Valley, away from the fanatical fishbowl-like existence that is Edmonton. And, just to rub it in, he's among NHL leaders with 18 goals and 29 points.

I'm relatively certain, then, Heatley will manage to stay composed when an angry Oilers faithful gets after him before, during and after the Sharks take out their frustrations on the Oilers after losing 7-2 to Chicago Wednesday.

"Heatley sucks. Heatley sucks." Yes, that'll shake him up.

Just another game

I'm guessing Heatley will spin Friday as just another game when reporters ask about his first visit to Edmonton since he queered the deal and made Kevin Lowe and Steve Tambellini beg last summer.

The Oilers, still stinging from Wednesday's 3-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings, certainly did so this morning when asked about Heatley. What else are they going to say? "Screw you, Heater. You could have been a part of this . . ."

"It's one of those things that got made up bigger than it probably should have," coach Pat Quinn said.

"It was an attempt to bring Heatley to this hockey club. It didn't happen. You move on. It should be gone. It doesn't matter. He's a good player. He's a good kid, but he plays for someone else. We don't care about that."

With the Oilers slipping out of playoff contention with four wins and a 4-10-2 record in their last 16 games, Quinn's take is the pragmatic approach. He's certainly got bigger problems.

Fans, though, will want their pound of flesh, even if trying to collect it will come on a night when Heatley and the Sharks are likely to put the wood to the Oilers after getting embarrassed by Chicago. If Matt Greene can stick it to his former team, I shudder to think what Heatley might do.

Good luck with that.

That's leadership

When reporters asked Quinn this morning why so many players were missing for a workout at Millennium Place, he said he wanted to rest players who'd been playing a lot of minutes during a stretch that'll see the Oilers play four games in six nights.

Sorry coach, not buying that reasoning, not with the Oilers having days off between their last three games and with two days off before they play six straight games on the road.

Every able-bodied player should have been on the ice today. No problem with Ales Hemsky, injured on a dirty hit by Michal Handzus, not being there. That goes without saying. For that matter, the same goes for Shawn Horcoff, who has been playing with a bad shoulder.

But what good reason, unless there are injuries we haven't been told about, is there for captain Ethan Moreau, Steve Staios, Sheldon Souray and Dustin Penner not to be on the ice with the kids and the grunts today after stiffing against the Kings? Lubomir Visnovsky, who plays eight minutes more a night than the captain, practised, but not Moreau? Not Penner?

And . . .

-- Manny Malhotra, signed by the Sharks for a bargain basement $700,000 after pricing himself out of the UFA market early in the summer, is winning face-offs at a 60.8 per cent clip in San Jose. He's scored 4-4-8. Think the Oilers could have got him for less than the $1.25 million they offered Mike Comrie?

-- Robert Nilsson, Marc Pouliot and Ryan Stone all skated today. Nilsson put in extra work and was one of the last players off the ice. Can't see him being ready for San Jose, not with Ryan O'Marra and Colin McDonald summoned from Springfield.

-- Listen to Robin Brownlee every Wednesday and Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

Aceb4a1816f5fa09879a023b07d1a9b4
#251 I'm a Scientist!
November 27 2009, 03:47PM

@Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things

Funny, as I wrote that, i was thinking the exact same thing! He also disappeared about the same time that Wanye "went to Europe"...

#252 Senator Theo
November 27 2009, 03:49PM

@Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things

It's not that I don't think girls that like hockey are great - I saw "Hockey Girl of the Week", and then "Hockey Girl Photos", and I was expecting something more along the lines of Jason's Ice Girls of the week.

#253 Maggie the Monkey
November 27 2009, 03:50PM

@Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things

Yeah, they did. Colorado's nine points up on us, though, and in absolutely no risk of falling behind us in the standings. We might not make up those nine points until sometime in the New Year.

#254 Moop
November 27 2009, 04:00PM
Chamucks Deluxe wrote:

That's what I was pointing out, I can't imagine a conspiracy like that in 2009. Gary's balls would have to be the size of Hummers to even think of screwing over Canadian teams that bad. I seriously think someone would shoot him.

Oh really? I am 100% certain that Gary Bettman made it his personal mission to ensure that no Canadian team won the Cup following the lockout.

First, he paid Bergeron $45 million to push Andrew Ladd into Roli back in the '06 Cup Finals. End result? Canadian team loses.

In Game 5 of the '07 finals, Bettman told Chris Phillips that if he scored on his own net, he'd hook him up with Carrie Underwood. Unfortunately, Phillips made the mistake of introducing her to his teammates, and we all know how that turned out. Bottom line, though: Canadian team loses.

In '08, Bettman was worried because the Habs finished 1st in the East. His response was to inject Carey Price's left arm with a paralyzing serum that made him unable to stop any shots on his glove side. You can't seriously tell me that anyone with full mobility in their arms could let R.J. Hamburger score that many times from the same spot. Once again, a Canadian team loses.

Then, last year, the Canucks were the hottest team in the league down the stretch. So what did Bettman do? He showed Roberto Luongo the Canucks message board on NHL.com. If the fans were that cocky and obnoxious when their team had never won anything, would YOU want to see what would happen if the 'Nucks actually won the Cup? Neither did Bobby, so he let in 7 goals in one game when facing elimination against the Blackhawks.

As for the Flames and their crapping the bed in the '04 Cup Finals and every other year in the first round, well...actually, Bettman had nothing to do with that. The Flames just suck.

#255 I'm a Scientist!
November 27 2009, 04:05PM

@Moop

- seconded.

#256 Dan the Man
November 27 2009, 04:28PM

@Moop

I feel like such an idiot for not seeing the obvious before you pointed it out...

#257 Senator Theo
November 27 2009, 05:04PM

In the picture at the top, is the Shark eating Heatley, or does the Shark have Heatley's head stuck on its nose?

#258 mowgli
November 27 2009, 05:06PM

I was thinking more along the lines of before the year starts every team get told how many games they get to win and lose so the gms talk it over and pick witch ones.

lets say the Oilers lose 3out4 games aganst Calgary. So We get to win the last game of the session and lose a good draft pick but who cares we beat Calgary once right.

If your up in the game the refs give you penalties or your goalie lets in a softy.

Oilers 9th just out of playoffs. Be happy when we win And under stand when we lose.

#259 rubbertrout
November 27 2009, 05:25PM
Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things wrote:

Speaking of Flames fans... where'd RossCreek run off to? I haven't seen him post since Brownlee called him out over that Du Maurier comment.

Edit: I'd probably take off, too, if I was thrown under the bus like that. At the end of the day, I guess RossCreek will always be welcome at FlamesNation.

He and the other 5 readers over there.

#260 David S
November 27 2009, 06:04PM
mowgli wrote:

~Aaaaand the comments keep getting smarter and smarter~

#261 David S
November 27 2009, 06:40PM
Jayamania wrote:

Oilers top line next season:

Magnus PS - Taylor Hall - Eberle

Will they be too soft? Too good? Thoughts?

*facepalm*

#262 Chamucks Deluxe
November 27 2009, 07:32PM

@Moop

I had to read the Bergeron one a couple times til' I realised you were kidding. Haha that's a funny post, enjoyed it.

#263 TonyT
November 28 2009, 11:31AM

Forgive if me this has been covered already. Does Hemsky's injury provide us cap relief? If so how much? Finally, if we do now have some wiggle room, I can't see Tambellini having an excuse for inaction at this time. There is only so much faith I can have in the Falcons...

#264 dunciano
November 29 2009, 11:37PM

C'mon Brownlee The Oilers couldn't have signed Malhotra. He didn't take the Blue Jackets more lucrative offer and he said this was his, "chance to play for a contender".

Play fair man!