Around the league - Dec 17, 2009

Jason Gregor
December 17 2009 02:52PM

The annual Governor’s meetings have wrapped up, and nothing earth shattering was revealed. The Count (Gary Bettman) is adamant that Phoenix is a viable market, and he is hoping that Edge Holdings Inc is legit and not another Len Barrie or Boots Del Baggio.

An interesting point was raised regarding whether the league should maintain a team in Phoenix compared to say Quebec of Winnipeg.

As Canadians we feel it is a no-brainer to have a team in Canada, where the games will sell out and fans will care compared to Phoenix where you can get a gold seat for $25. But is a team in Quebec or Winnipeg better for the rest of the league?

The NHL is a business first and foremost, and many feel if the new owners can somehow make it viable in Phoenix that is better for the other 29 franchises, rather than having a team in Quebec City.

A team in Quebec or Winnipeg is good for that market, but will it grow the game? I’d say no. I understand why Canadians want another team, but when 24 of the 30 teams are in the United States, it is clear who holds the power. A major advertiser would be more excited about the Phoenix market over Quebec.

Can we really grow the game anymore in Canada? Are there people that don’t know about hockey here? The only reason someone hasn’t gone to at least one game is because they can’t afford it, not because they don’t want to.

Quebec City’s population, including the metro area is less than a million people, while Phoenix has 4.28 million people and is the 12th largest metro area by population in the United States.

From a business point of view the possibility of growth is much higher there than Quebec City. I know that the arena is in Glendale, and it is a 45-minute commute without any public transportation. The optics don’t look good, but I can see why business men feel there is a potential for success in a market that big.

Today Quebec or Winnipeg or even Southern Ontario doesn’t have a facility, so realistically they aren’t an option until they get an arena. When they get one then hockey fans can argue the merits of having a 7th Canadian team, but until then it wishful thinking.

If the NHL can convince Edge Holdings INC to pay them $140 million for the Coyotes the NHL will take it and run. If, or should I say when, EHI realizes in a few years that they can’t make money, then and only then will Bettman and the rest of the league look at relocating.

Right now the other 29 teams would love to see EHI buy the Coyotes because it will save them having to pony up their own money to subsidize the Dessert Dogs. I just don’t understand why EHI would pay more than a dollar for that team right now.

Ice woman of the week

Since many of you alleged babe-magnets complained last week, here is double dose of the energetic Briana, who is a member of the Thrashers Blue Crew. Hopefully her hair meets the standards of the Nation.

Random thoughts

• Barry Trotz’ Nashville Predators are 13-3-2 in their last 18 games. They only have two guys in double digits in goals, Jason Arnott and Martin Erat with 11, yet they are only one point back of Colorado and four back of the Kings with two games in hand. Everyone has been raving about the Avs and Kings, but did anyone think the Predators would be in the top-five in the west at this point? I didn’t think so.
  • The NHL wants a Canadian outdoor classic every year now? Why? The Heritage Classic was a great idea, but if you had one every six years would it have the same appeal? NBC doesn’t want a Canadian team to play in it, but CBC thinks it will be a ratings monster so they are pushing for it. After Calgary, Toronto, Montreal and Ottawa host it once will it still hold the appeal of Canadian fans? I doubt it.
  • Marty Brodeur will break another of Patrick Roy’s records this week when he plays his 1,030th game. It makes me smile to see Roy lose all of his records; no one annoyed me more than him.
  • Henrik Sedin is 2nd in league scoring. I might have to stop calling them the Sisters…then again probably not. But I will give him credit; he is having the best season that no one talks about.
  • The best bang for your buck in the top-30 scorers is Nicklas Backstrom. He is fifth in the league with 39 points and a $2.4 million cap hit. Tomas Plekanec has 34 points and a $2.75 hit, while Wojtek Wolski has 33 points and a $2.8 million cap hit. All three are in the last year of their contracts, and don’t be surprised if someone grossly overpays Plekanec this summer.
  • Drew Doughty could make team Canada despite being twenty. He does everything well. He’s a great skater, has outstanding vision, moves the puck well, has a strong shot and is physical. His ability to step and make a hit is underrated in my opinion. In two more years I think he’ll be in conversation of best D-men in the game.
  • Injuries to Teemu Selanne and Joffrey Lupul might give Randy Carlyle a brief stay-of-execution, but I can’t see how he keeps his job past January 15th. It is too close to Christmas to fire him now, but I don’t see him lasting very long in the New Year.
  • While Oiler fans have gotten used to their team being a 7th to 12th place team, I wonder if Flames’ fans ever get annoyed with their team’s inability to become an elite team. The Flames have been good, and once you think they will become a great team they lose three or four in a row and come back to the pack. I wonder if their nucleus knows how to become great rather than just good?

Leaders through the week

Goals:
23: Marian Gaborik
21: Sidney Crosby, Dany Heatley and Alex Ovechkin
20: Patrick Marleau
18: Dustin Penner, Mike Cammalleri, Steven Stamkos and Ilya Kovalchuk.
17: Jarome Iginla and Rick Nash

Assists:
37: Joe Thornton
30: Ryan Getzlaf
29: Tomas Kaberle and Martin St. Louis
28: Nicklas Backstrom, Tomas Plekanec and H. Sedin
27: Brad Richards
26: Paul Stastny and Mike Green
***All the same top ten assist leaders for the first time all season. Only six other players have more points than Thornton has assists this season.***

Points:
44: Thornton
43: H. Sedin (seven points this week)
42: Gaborik
41: Crosby, Perry, Getzlaf and H. Sedin
39: Backstrom
38: Ovechkin and Anze Kopitar
37: Heatley, Getzlaf, Corey Perry and B. Richards

Plus/Minus:
+17: Ovechkin and Zach Parise
+16: Christian Ehrhoff,
+15: Jonathon Toews and Pavel Kubina
+14: Jeff Schultz and Evgeni Malkin
+13: Travis Zajac, Wayne Simmonds, Brendan Morrison, Crosby and Penner.
*** Rod Brind’Amour still leads for the Green Jacket with a whopping -19. Martin Havlat was +6 this week to improve to -11. Patrick O’Sullivan is 6th worst at -13 and Shawn Horcoff is 7th at -12.***

PP Goals:
Eleven: Gaborik
Ten: Heatley
Eight: John Tavares
Seven: Andrew Brunette, Teemu Selanne, Kovalchuk, Niclas Bergfors, Tomas Holmstom and Steven Stamkos
Six: Eleven guys tied with six.

Hits:
110: Stephane Robidas

109: Ryan Callahan and Dustin Brown
103: Cal Clutterbuck
102: Matt Greene
97: Ryan Malone
96: JF Jacques
95: Scott Nichol
91: Brooks Orpik
90: David Backes, Brendan Morrow and Chris Neil

Shots:
140: Parise and Jeff Carter (Sixteen shots, but no goals this week.)
138: Ovechkin
134: Nash
129: Henrik Zetterberg
121: Dustin Brown and Crosby
120: Radim Vrbata
119: Vincent Lecavalier
117: Cammalleri

Final point

I don’t have to say much, do I? I wonder what the top ten tips Tiger would have this week for the President?

Ddf3e2ba09069c465299f3c416e43eae
#51 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
December 17 2009, 05:46PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

From what I was told the Leafs don't have a veto on having another team in their vicinity. The reason Balsillie didn't get the team is how he went about it. He sold tickets in Hamilton before he even owned the team in Phoenix.

The biggest reason there isn't a team in southern Ontario yet, is because there isn't a suitable building. Unless they could do the renos necessary for Copps Coliseum in Hamilton in one off-season, I don't see how they could move a team there and play in the existing rink unless they could do the renos in one off-season.

The teams that are drawing less than 15,000 are all losing money. If the Jets sold out all 15,000 every game they might break even. And if the cap goes up and they wanted to try and stay competitive I don't see how they could sustain the finances.

When the cap goes up, what does that do for teams that are already struggling? Are they forced to move at that point?

Gain now, possibly lose later seems like a much better bet than lose now, possibly gain later (but extremely unlikely).

#53 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
December 17 2009, 05:55PM

I apologize for being stubborn, Gregor, and I understand your point - I just don't see how it makes sense from a business perspective. If you're advocating maintaining a franchise in a market that's failing on the off-chance they'll do well in the future, you might as well be pushing Hemsky for a 7th round draft pick on the off-chance that we'll pick up Zetterberg v2.0.

#57 Oil Kings 'n' Pretty Things
December 17 2009, 06:09PM
Jason Gregor wrote:

The point is they don't want to move to Winnipeg if in three years it is losing money. And the Count vowed he wouldn't just move teams on a whim, like he did with Quebec and Winnipeg.

I'm not saying it is the best idea, but I bet they will move to Kansas, brand new facility before Winnipeg.

The league will look at TV deals and American advertisers who will prefer an American team over a small market Canadian one.

Quality of TV and ad deals is a legitimate argument, and I'll concede to that immediately. I understand it works a lot different in the states than it does here, and that definitely comes into play.

If you're resigned to markets that lose money, though, you're better off in a market that shows a profit in 3/20 seasons than one that shows a profit in 0/20 seasons.

I also don't see how moving the Coyotes (this time specifically the Coyotes) can be considered 'on a whim' when you can point to 15 years of disinterest from the fans, owners losing money, and the team losing on the ice.

#58 HansBaurMesserschmittWatson
December 17 2009, 06:18PM

@Jason Gregor

i think nhl and international hockey should go the FIFA route. we can use the sweedish and the russian and the american hockey league as one pool of players. this way there is more options on what to do with some of these contracts and players. we could sell loan and trade players. so team that suck and arent going to make any money and playoff revenue could sell or loan their superstars to teams in europe. it would also help with better development as well. i know this has nothing to do with winnipeg but just an idea i think that might help make the nhl better. just like FIFA, have one governing body instead of all this NHL v NHLPA crap, and owners v T.V crap.

#59 Shawn Cronin
December 17 2009, 07:31PM

Apparently ATDHE.net has the game on the net today........

The feed possibly will be crapola, there may be other feeds on Justin.tv or ustream.tv.

I will try to find the best one and then I will post.

#60 Hemmertime83
December 17 2009, 08:07PM

http://livetv.ru/webplayer.php?t=vexcast&c=365&lang=en on IE

#61 Lego
December 17 2009, 08:10PM
Hemmertime83 wrote:

http://livetv.ru/webplayer.php?t=vexcast&c=365&lang=en on IE

That's a russian site and you have to install an activeX control, probably not a good idea.

Thanks for the link anyway.

#62 WizCo
December 17 2009, 08:38PM

ATDHE is just showing a test pattern. Justin TV isn't showing the game. The game is on PPV in alberta, perhaps no one can get the feed? Anyone found it?

dying for oil hockey in vancouver

#63 jeanshorts
December 17 2009, 10:34PM

Wow what a great game tonight! Our boys started out slow but picked it up and were firing on all cylinders tonight! Nothing but crisp, tape to tape passes, solid defensive zone coverage, perfect line changes, thunderous hits delivered to anyone in a white jersey, world class goaltending and some of the best refereeing I've ever seen in an organized hockey game! This team is unstoppable right now!

*meticulously lint rolls the Stanley Cup parade carpet*

#64 E-Mac
December 18 2009, 02:23AM

Can Briana skate? If so, why not install her as first line center. I'm sure she'd put out great numbers.

#65 Jay
December 18 2009, 08:34AM

I am not sure why there is such a push to 'grow the game'. MLB and NFL seem to do quite well without trying to infiltrate other markets. Also, the best years of hockey were played prior to expansion and any financial loses were due to poor management and not poor fan support. Alberta has just over 3 million people in the province yet has 2 healthy teams so the argument regarding a larger potential fan base in Phoenix doesn't cut it. 2-3 more teams in Canada would do more to grow the game than 10 more in the States. Quality fans will always outspend quantity fans and remain loyal despite hardships. The NHL model for growth is flawed and driven by American interests. Let's take the game back.

#66 6 ring circus
December 18 2009, 10:02AM

I know the owners,the league and the NHLPA would never allow it, but the best thing that can happen to the NHL is go back to a 24 team league.

#67 freeze
December 18 2009, 12:59PM

@jeanshorts

Holy crap, my sarcasm meter just hit 9!

#68 jeanshorts
December 18 2009, 03:13PM

@freeze

The name attached to that post was supposed to be Bizzaro World jeanshorts. But apparently I don't know how to work the internet or something.

#69 Milli
December 18 2009, 05:15PM

All I can say is WOW!!!! That ice girl, WOW....and you said something about her having hair????

#70 RossCreekNation
December 18 2009, 08:13PM

To Whom It May Concern

#26 ronaldo December 17 2009, 03:10PM

Alright, it's 12*17*09, where the hell are you RossCreek?

Would you believe that I broke my 3G connection as I was about to start my day of internetting yesterday? And would you then believe that after pouting & sulking like my Oiler "star" Patrick O'Sullivan, I headed to my local BP's to administer a substantial beatdown to my liver, drinking gin & tonic doubles from 4 til midnight (sprinkled in with random shooter debauchery), completely missing the Flames-Kings *12/17/09* matchup because the Oiler game and the NFL game were already on the TV's? (By the way, another "stellar" performance from the Oil.)

Well if you believe all of that, then surely you'll believe that a mixture of pizza, gt's and grape juice came spewing out of my mouth in the shower at 10:30 this morning.

Yup... my first day with the Nation and I'm already doing my best Wanye impersonations. That is correct. 12/17/09 was to be my first post-game summary over at FlamesNation.ca

With an invitation from Wanye a month and a half ago, I recently decided I'd give it a go.

A day late and a dollar short. Pushed back like a Dr. Dre album. Just like 30's the new 20, *12/19/09* is the new 12/17/09.

For those willing to take the odd gander away from ON (just for a sec) to check out FlamesNation from time to time, see ya there. Those that are "all-Oil, all-the-time", I understand. I won't take it personal... just like you shouldn't take it personal that 'my' team is better than 'your' team ;-b

*Oh... and props to Ogden Bro for calling it and to ronaldo for ~caring~*