Sleepless Night UPDATED

Lowetide
December 14 2010 07:55PM

Early tomorrow morning, the final cuts for Team Canada's world junior team will get a phonecall. The merciful coaching staff make the cuts early so the kids can hit the airport and (hopefully) avoid the media.

Two Edmonton Oiler prospects played tonight (against a team of CIS All-Stars) and will be watching late night television, counting minutes along with the clock radio and waiting for the phone to ring. Or not.

The Canadians dominated against the CIS team this evening (as you would expect). Oilers prospects got in on the action, Curtis Hamilton played with Riley Sheahan and Sean Couturier on TC's third line (had a goal and an assist) and played well by all accounts.

Bob McKenzie gave excellent updates all evening here. Olivier Roy played half the game for the CIS team, giving up 2 goals on 24 Team Canada shots.

I'd guess that Hamilton makes the team and that Roy barely misses out (Visentin and Pickard have been strong) but you never know at the World Junior camp. I recall Mike Comrie and a few other Oiler prospects being fairly disappointed at being sent away over the years.

The original invite story about the two Oiler prospects is here.

Here are a few World Junior performances by current and former Oilers over the years:

1. Wayne Gretzky (1977) 6gp, 8-9-17
  2. Jordan Eberle (2010) 6gp, 8-5-13
  3. Jordan Eberle (2009) 6gp, 6-7-13
  4. Taylor Hall (2010) 6gp, 6-6-12
  5. Jari Kurri (1980) 5gp, 4-7-11
  6. Magnus Pääjärvi (2010) 6gp, 3-7-10

UPDATE

Both Oilers made the grade. It looks like Curtis Hamilton will be part of the TC's checking line and Roy is in the mix for work in goal. Oiler fans will also get a chance to see Sean Couturier, a strong candidate for #1 overall in next summer's draft. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins didn't make the grade. The story of the cuts is here.

I'll be keeping track of Oiler prospects who will/could play with other nations at the World Juniors this year in the coming days.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Freezing Weather Fan
December 14 2010, 08:02PM

I really hope Olivier Roy will be the Fist game starting goaltender. It'd be great to see him get more international experience, and hopefully shake off that "not a big game goalie" thing from the Russian series.

Looks like that's going to be a long shot though. I just like seeing the Oilers prospects at the WJC, adds a little bit more to it for me.

P.S. Are the juniors using the new Canada jerseys from the Olympics as well then? I thought they were just because the Olympic's had a rule about using other organization's symbols or something. Guess I'll get more use out of my Vancouver purchase then afterall. :)

#2 Harlie
December 14 2010, 08:20PM

I'm really hoping for the best for our JR's but this year I am not as confident in the team. I've heard more than a few MSM say that it will be scoring by committee this year so we will see I guess. Damn,

I almost wish they could send Captain Clutch down to see him do some more magic. Yeah I'm lookin at you Ebs!

#4 SumOil
December 14 2010, 10:09PM

Pickard apparently has been terrible and McKenzie believes that it will Roy and Visentin.

Though i fully believe that Hamilton deserves to be on the team, with Cizikas performing almost the same role, and playing under Cameron, there is a slight chance that Hamilton might not make it. However it performance is any indication, both oilers shud be on the no-cut list 2morrow morning

#5 common sense
December 14 2010, 10:21PM

Much ado about not much. Oh, I'll probably watch the WJHC if Canada's doing well but tsk tsk I'll be watching the Oilers more. Give me some Oilers stats lowetide.

#7 Ryan14
December 15 2010, 12:05AM
Lowetide wrote:

I think there's enough Oiler stuff on ON for me to pay some attention to the WJ's. After all, the Oilers first round pick in 2011 could very well be playing in this tournament.

Dare to dream.

#8 jeanshorts
December 15 2010, 04:33AM

Calvin Pickard just got cut. Looks like our boy Roy made it!

Also, Nugent-Hopkins got cut? WOW! Tyler Seguin all over again.

#9 SumOil
December 15 2010, 05:10AM

both are in! Hamilton and Roy

#10 Tuco
December 15 2010, 05:23AM
common sense wrote:

I can honestly say that I get more excited about the WJHC than I do about Christmas. And Roy making it is a perfect early present. Hamilton I considered to be a lock.

Too bad we don't get to see RNH. Ryan Murphy being cut doesn't bode well for Don Cherry's #1 overall prediction but Canada is deep on defense and with Ellis there I'm not really surprised.

#11 Grant Fuhrer
December 15 2010, 06:11AM

I second those who want coverage of WJC here. It really is a big part of the reason I look forward to the holiday season. I love that Canada dominates perennially, and my favorite players in the NHL usually end up being those who I've watched rise through Team Canada's WJC teams

#12 Woodguy
December 15 2010, 07:34AM

Interesting that RNH didn't make it.

Doesn't always mean much, Seguin didn't make it last year.

That being said, the reports is that RNH just couldn't compete with the larger older players.

Doesn't bode well for a lottery pick.

Dreger just said that RNH is probably not ready for the NHL next year based on how he's played against elite players at this camp. Last year many said Seguin should have made it and his cut had more politics than evaluation to it.

The Oilers have 2 prospects on the Canadian Team. The Leafs have 0 prospects on the Canadian Team.

You can have today Leaf fan, we have the next 10 years.

#13 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 15 2010, 08:29AM
jeanshorts wrote:

Calvin Pickard just got cut. Looks like our boy Roy made it!

Also, Nugent-Hopkins got cut? WOW! Tyler Seguin all over again.

I see RNH a tonne, and I really don't think he's that good.

What I mean with that is he isn't in the Hall/Seguin/Tavares/Duchene league IMO anyway.

I'm expecting him to have a solid NHL career, but I'd put him more in the Gagner catagory then any of the guys listed above.

If it were up to me and we ended up sitting at #3 (and the rankings stayed the same)

I'd either trade down a couple spots and try to add a few more assets or I'd look to flip for an established young player on a cap heavy team (extended Jeff Carter for example).

#14 Oilcruzer
December 15 2010, 08:32AM

Thats a pretty big deal that 2 of overall roster of 22 Canadians are Oil prospects in a 30 team NHL.

Hmmm all but 6 are first round draft choices (including Couturier who is the only one undrafted)

Looks like Canada went for size and strength this year.

#15 Scott in Grande Prairie
December 15 2010, 08:51AM

Hey, just wondering if there was any word on whether or not Pitlick is going to play for Team USA?

Has he made the team already? Don't they have their selection camp in the summer?

#16 dawgbone
December 15 2010, 08:59AM

Scott, Pitlick won't be making the US team. He isn't even on the radar.

#17 DBO
December 15 2010, 08:59AM

Pitlick wasn't invited to camp so he won't be playing for the US

#18 Scott in Grande Prairie
December 15 2010, 09:05AM

OK, thanks. I hadn't heard that about Pitlick. I assumed he'd made the team. One should never assume!

#19 lateralus
December 15 2010, 09:31AM

Last week on my flight from PG to Vancouver I was sitting beside Brett Connolly. He was pretty confident about making the team.

Pretty cool guy, we talked hockey for the entire flight.

#20 oneeye
December 15 2010, 09:40AM

Why would the Oilers want RNH? Anther smurf on skates...great can I please watch more of these small centers spinning around on their a$$es on the ice as they are knocked off the puck.

#21 Devon
December 15 2010, 10:11AM

Good to see Roy and Hamilton made it.

@ Lowe do you consider Roy the number one right now or the other goalie they chose to go with? I sure hope so given Dubnyk's play this season he can hold down the fort for a couple of years but the Oilers will need a really good goaltender once they get really good on defense as well as offense.

#22 Ribs
December 15 2010, 10:21AM

Too bad Pysyk didn't make the cut. It would have been nice to see the local kid make it.

#23 Lochenzo
December 15 2010, 11:04AM

It still shocks the heck out of me that Matt Duchesne is still eligible to play in this tournament. This kid is good.

Anybody know what's happening team Slovakia? Are they in this tourney and is Marincin on it? I tried looking at the Slovaks and the site keeps crashing.

#24 SumOil
December 15 2010, 11:47AM
Woodguy wrote:

Interesting that RNH didn't make it.

Doesn't always mean much, Seguin didn't make it last year.

Doesn't bode well for a lottery pick.

You can have today Leaf fan, we have the next 10 years.

Well in the last 4 WJC, the eventual 1st overall pick has always made the squad! So going by history alone and not logic, SC should take the 1st overall and RNH will fall short of his efforts to replace SC

#25 Shane
December 15 2010, 01:16PM
Lochenzo wrote:

Acording to TSNs website Marancin is not on the team but I noticed none of the players on their roster are playing in North America so maybe that has something to do with it, they'd be dumb not to have him on their team hes played well this year.

#26 Jaime - Team Couturier
December 15 2010, 01:27PM

There's a Team Slovakia thread on HF boards, and the roster given in that thread has Marincin on the team. I would assume he'd be playing; if he's one of the best defencemen in the CHL right now, he's definitely one of the best Slovakian defencemen.

#27 Senator Theo
December 15 2010, 01:31PM
OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F wrote:

I see RNH a tonne, and I really don't think he's that good.

Thanks for keeping it metric.

Interesting to see you say that about RNH - I said the same thing after I saw him a few weeks ago. He's a wizard with the puck, but lacks some size...reminded me a lot of Sam. He may still get bigger though - hard to say at this point.

#28 OB1 Team Yakopov - F.S.T.N.F
December 15 2010, 01:46PM
Senator Theo wrote:

Thanks for keeping it metric.

No problem, I'm a firm believer in metric.

#29 ehcg
December 15 2010, 02:03PM

I know a lot of people don't like HFBoards, but http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=851966

claims that Marincin is on Slovakia's final team roster

#30 Shane
December 15 2010, 07:20PM

http://tsn.ca/World_jrs/feature/?id=34404 I'll take TSNs credibility over HF boards'

#31 Wanyes bastard child
December 15 2010, 07:28PM

I think you need to rework your contract with Wanye LT, Robin and Jason get much cooler "Update" heading fonts then you do.

Or is it that your still the new guy and haven't quite worked yourself up to GDB or cool font status yet?