No Turkey This Year

Lowetide
November 25 2011 05:01PM

Ken Holland:  “I always look at the standings on U.S. Thanksgiving, right at the end of November. From there, you move in a pack. You’ve sort of shown the winning percentage you’re going to move at.” Guess what? The Edmonton Oilers are running with the pack. It's been awhile.

OBSERVATIONS

Today's game ended a losing streak that goes back to the turn of the century. Ma and Pa Kettle sat in the stands in Minnesota the last time EDM took a W from the locals, and since then it's been a black hole for the Oilers. Black Friday did the trick, with a statement win for the Orange and Blue.

• Jordan Eberle made his usual brilliant plays, but I was impressed by his unselfish move right at game's end to give the empty net goal to the rookie. Wonderful player, future captain.
  • Ryan Smyth's goal early in the game was something he's done for ages. Smyth has been around since the Minnesota North Stars (not really) and is playing like it's 2000 again. Amazing.
  • Taylor Hall is the brute force and often (certainly today) gets the party started. He'll be a legend in his own time.
  • RNH turned over the puck on a play he's made before. It reminds us of his youth. Everything else he did today reminds us of his future. Amazing talent.
  • PM Bouchard is the devil, at least against the Oilers.
  • Ladislav Smid: +3.
  • Darcy Hordichuk got the Oilers many PP minutes. That's impressive.
  • Ryan Whitney played 16:22. Low total, but he'll play tomorrow. Right?

CONFESSION

I've yet to trust this team on the road. At home, you can see the plan and the results, but the road has been a different story. However, recent wins over LA, NAS and now MIN suggest a corner has been turned, a new day is dawning.

It's American Thanksgiving. Calgary is well behind and the Edmonton Oilers are sitting in a playoff positon.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

It's a damn good day.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#51 Wäx Män Riley
November 26 2011, 12:03AM
DSF wrote:

Bleat on sheep.

Shooting percentages over 20 percent will revert to the mean HARD in the last 3/4 of the season.

The Law of Averages is a bitch.

It's OK to be happy. Just, let it in.

#52 Jordan Nugent-Hallkins
November 26 2011, 12:30AM

*ahem*

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

#53 Alex Steenberger
November 26 2011, 12:59AM

It's time for TAMBO to get rid of Sammy GAGS and Magnus Paarvi. These 2 clowns don't belong in our system and definitely don't fit in. Let's rally Tambo to trade Magnus to Phoenix for Kyle Turris and send Sammy Gags to LA Kings for a bag of hockey pucks.

In everybody in OIL COUNTRY knows: it's Hall - Ebz - RNH team. Then there is everyone else. I'm sick of Sammy Gags and his underachieving ways. This guy has to go or put the guy on waivers so at least we can send him to the farm - where he belongs in the AHL.

#54 Alex Steenberger
November 26 2011, 01:24AM

To Mr. Steve Tambellini

Everyone knows you read this blog. Anyways I'm writing to you regarding Sam Gagner. I am a huge fan and very happy and excited about this years accomplishments so far. But Sam Gagner is really starting to irk all the fans in Oil Country. I know yourself, you management team and coaching staff have also all lost faith in Gags as well. So on behalf of all the fans in Oil Country and across Canada we are begging you to get rid of this bum via trade or whatever. If this isn't done in a reasonable time frame we will have to boycott games at Rexall as well as not tuning in to radio or television. P.S. We in Oil Country all stand united!

Thanks, Alex

#55 longbottom/P.Biglow
November 26 2011, 01:32AM

Ummmm I for one as an Oiler fan will happily watch you boycott the Oiler games from the friendly confines of Rexall place watching Sam Gagner get his game back. But carry on your Boycott as a boycott of very few or even one.

#56 Sam Gagner
November 26 2011, 01:38AM

Mr. Alex Steenberger

I'm still Minnesota and a good friend of mine texted me telling me about the messages that you have posted. I have tried really hard to get into game shape after my injury this year and am disappointed that the fans have jumped all over me so early in the year. I also would like to mention that I have been playing with limited Ice Time this year due to the increase in new talent that we have. I truly would like to apologize to you and the rest of the fans for my disappointing play so far this season. Give me another chance. 2 more weeks and I will try and play a lot better. You just lit a fire under me.

Sam Gagner

#57 Alex Steenberger
November 26 2011, 01:48AM

Dear Mr Sam Gagner,

NO. No more chances. You've had enough already. You've had 5 years and you have sucked every year. When our team sucked, we all kind of hoped you would become an all- star and make us proud. But you disappointed us all. It's time for you to go Gags. We need to replace you with more productive 3rd liners, preferably someone who can win a flipping face-off and score a stinkin goal once in a blue moon.

Sincerely, Alex

#58 Quinn the Eskimo
November 26 2011, 02:01AM

Tough crowd,hey Samwise? Pay no mind. Keep playing and then SIUTBOYC, buddy. Or at least SIUTHBOAS. I know you can.

#59 gravis82
November 26 2011, 02:35AM

@DSF

you are an angry person.

#60 Zach
November 26 2011, 02:50AM

@ Alex Steenberger

Do you seriously feel the need to come onto this site and trash another human being for their perceived lack of performance? Maybe a bad day, or setback on the job for the average isn't accompanied by the occurences of things such as broken ankles, or sliced tendons. Then again maybe it does. It's certainly unfortunate that Mr. Gagner hasn't lived up to YOUR lofty expectations of him. I sincerely wish you were the one in the spotlight, so we all had the opportunity to critique you from our high horses. I assure you, if Sam Gagner doesn't succeed, it won't be for a lack of trying. Cut the kid some slack. I hope he surprises you.

#61 99
November 26 2011, 03:14AM

Is Gagner really hurting the team? I would have thought having speed and hands would be helpful on any line. If Sam develops into a reliable third line centre id be happy. How many teams can say they have a players like that in that position. Which centre in the league would we replace him with? I just don't think his talents have been used properly because there are (sorry) better players on the team that can fill the same role. As for Magnus...I don't know.

#62 a lg dubl dubl
November 26 2011, 05:21AM
Alex Steenberger wrote:

Dear Mr Sam Gagner,

Sincerely, Alex

Your a boob, shut up.

#63 Dipstick
November 26 2011, 06:11AM

@Alex Steenberger

"No Turkey This Year"? I beg to differ.

#64 MAC962
November 26 2011, 06:57AM

That was our TEAM out there ? WOW.. Really fackin rights people. We are back. There will be bumps, but the EDMONTON OILERS are back and we are coming for what is ours. The EDMONTON OILERS ARE BACK ! Im going to say this all day long while i bask in the PLUS 5 temp , drink beer and BBQ a steak before we shut down the AVS Tonight.

Hey-- The EDMONTON OILERS are back. Just thought i'd let ya know.

GO OILERS GO GO OILERS GO !! I Just popped wood i think... is that normal or even ok right now ? I Love my Oilers !

#65 cableguy - 2nd Tier Fan
November 26 2011, 07:13AM
DSF wrote:

Bleat on sheep.

The Law of Averages is a bitch.

So, if i follow correct, 20%+ shooting percentage will revert to the mean hard, and the stats should even out. As such, we should be leery of getting excited about the player because chances are good that, even after a stellar start, he will level out over the 82 game schedule.

Interesting advice from a guy who was, only days ago, holding Tyler Seguin up as the one all the Oilers should be compared to. You know, the same Tyler Seguin sporting a 20% shooting %.

In theory, sheep, you should have taken your own advice. Going on your very theory, we should reserve judgement on Seguin because the theory indicates his stats cant be sustained given his shooting%. Law of Averages is a bitch good sir.

*** breaks out Ace Ventura's "I have exercised the demons" ***

#66 book¡e
November 26 2011, 07:15AM

I'm pretty sure this Alex fellow is just trying for a response.

#67 ButtermilkBiscuitsAKAoilers2k10
November 26 2011, 07:32AM

Ok it wasnt 8-2 like I was preaching the past few days, but I will take 5-2 anyday..

Looking forward to tonights game in the mile high city..lets see how the kids handle the elevation..

#68 OilFan
November 26 2011, 07:52AM

I thought Sam played well yesterday and I'm not a Gagner fan. I predict a huge win again today. It's always funny when you read trolls like DSF and the Flames nation coming up with reason why the Oilers are going to fail or fall to what they think.Underlying numbers ...... Bahahaha. Try looking at the wins and goals this team is scoring instead of corsi and fenwick

#69 Milli
November 26 2011, 10:41AM

For christ sakes who come on here to trash one of our own after another fantastic game? The same losers who were ready to dump Hall 3 games ago? COME ON MAN! Now, on another note....Great article! Man is this winning stuff fun! Hall has be a brute force the last few games, team starts slow no more, climb on Halls back! Scoring lines and annoying lines, solid D and great Tending, MAN IS THIS FUN!!!!!!!

#70 Wäx Män Riley
November 26 2011, 01:16PM

Ohhhhhh!!!1 THAT is what Hordichuk does..... I like it.

Please sir, can I have some more?

#71 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 26 2011, 01:19PM

Sorry folks late to the party... just want to SQUEEEEE about my boy Smid putting up big +/- numbers!

and note how close my TOI prediction for Whitney was:

Whitney.... I had no idea his return was that close. Also, I thought the ankle was fine this time around and it was his knee... regardless, what's the over/under on mins? I go conservative: 16
#72 Lofty
November 26 2011, 01:46PM
Milli wrote:

I'm not part of the anti-sammy crowd but when you play hockey as a profession, you get paid for results and he is not producing.

#73 Rinkrat Brown
December 03 2011, 08:03AM

At last, Hemsky has revealed his True Inner Self: All this time, we thought he was a soft-handed Euro puck wizard. No! Last night, we saw the Czech's Inner Goon. Ales took a page from Gagner's book and uncorked the genii bottle of his testosterone-crazy aggression.

Two thundering body checks (or Czechs, if you will) FOLLOWED BY a soft-handed Euro-wizard goal. Clearly doling out hits, as opposed to passively receiving them, is good for Ales's soulful soul.