Tracers: Oilers Rookies Vol 1 (79-84)

Lowetide
November 29 2011 05:13PM

I worry that young OilersNation readers aren't enjoying the current kids like they should, perhaps overly concerned with wins and losses and the minutiae of day-to-day events. It doesn't really matter that Magnus Paajarvi has been struggling this season, only that he rights the ship in time for the good times. Taylor Hall's injuries are a worry, but only if he doesn't learn to pick his spots and not die on every hill.

I think a good way to show the pure power of this young bunch is through a series of posts that identify the NHL Oilers as rookies. I'll do this in 5 year installments, so we can see how the dynasty was built, why another dynasties did not follow immediately and the importance of drafting and wise trades.

THE BOYS ON THE BUS

First, we have to take care of something. Wayne Gretzky's rookie NHL season was 79-80, but the league (in its wisdom) ruled him ineligible for the Calder trophy. Therefore, since the NHL proved that day (and others) that it cares little about the history of the game, I'm going to disregard their ridiculous rookie rules. My "rookie" criteria is simple: 25 years old or younger (with a couple of exceptions who will be noted), NHL debut season with 25 or more games. If a player exceeds 25 games in two or three seasons, his rookie season will be the one that has the highest total games. Clear as mud? Well, it's better than the NHL rules.

THE ROOKIES 79-80

• Wayne Gretzky (79, 51-86-137)
  • Dave Lumley (80, 20-38-58)
  • Dave Hunter (80, 12-31-43)
  • Ron Chipperfield (67, 18-19-37) traded during season
  • Risto Siltanen (64, 6-29-35)
  • Mark Messier (75, 12-21-33)
  • Kevin Lowe (64, 2-19-21)
  • Cam Connor (38, 7-13-20) traded during season
  • Dave Semenko (67, 6-7-13)
  • Peter Driscoll (39, 1-5-6)
  • Jim Corsi (26, 3.65)

There's so much talent there the mind boggles. Gretzky was the best offensive player in the game in his NHL debut (tied with Marcel Dionne), and Messier would emerge in the coming seasons as an absolute beast. The Oilers were set forever with those two (eventual) centermen, and they were the foundation for most of a decade. It was a dream and we lived through it, loving every minute of it despite perhaps taking it for granted at times.

Below those two HOFers were a "mixed bag" of useful talents including defensemen Kevin Lowe and Risto Siltanen. Siltanen used to shoot the puck so hard it would startle you when it hit the backboards--which was the problem he couldn't hit the damn net--and Lowe began a long career as a steady, reliable and edgy defender. Although time obscures his contributions because the boxcars don't favor his player-type, never understimate his contribution to the glory years.

Lumley and Hunter would have solid careers as two-way types, mostly checkers but some good offensive seasons too. Lumley scored the final goal of 83-84 from ten miles away, and sealed Edmonton's first Stanley in what is one of my favorite memories. Chpperfield was a team leader--captain--whose trade from the Oilers was very sad because it coincided with his Mom's illness. Connor was a tough guy with some skill, and Semenko and Driscoll were tough guys with some more toughness.

Jim Corsi was an average goalie who would have won Movember by Remembrance Day and is best remembered now for his magic statistic.

THE ROOKIES 80-81

• Jari Kurri (75, 32-43-75)
  • Glenn Anderson (58, 30-23-53)
  • Paul Coffey (74, 9-23-32)

The 79-80 team had been ripped apart by expansion, but Glen Sather did an exceptional job patching holes. The following season, only three men qualified as rookies--Hall of Famers all. Kurri was very important to the Oilers success, overlooked as time passes but valued for his wonderful two way play, his quick release and his ability to form chem with 99.

If Kurri was out of this world, then Anderson was not of this world. Anderson drove to the net like a guided missile and no matter the result he made an impact. A "free spirit", Andy never really fit in except on the ice where his outstanding talents were breathtaking. If I close my eyes, I can still see him break in at a rate that must have made goalies shudder.

Coffey was a glorious skater, a Gil Perreault-clone (except a D) with the puck who could dance and swivel and make your heart sing. The anticipation of a Coffey rush was as much fun as you can have and still be legal. I miss him.

THE ROOKIES 81-82

• Grant Fuhr (48, 3.31 .899)
  • Charlie Huddy (41, 4-11-15)
  • Tom Roulston (35, 11-3-14)
  • Ken Berry (15, 2-3-5)

The Boys on the Bus were unique in Oilers history in many ways, one of which is the following: under Sather, the club solved an enormous number of problems in a timely fashion via the draft and minor league free agency. Grant Fuhr was drafted in the summer of 1981, not long after Andy Moog had been so impressive the previous spring. However, when fall arrived it was Fuhr who wrestled the starting job away from Moog and the veterans, and it was Fuhr who became the face of the franchise through the decade (with Moog being sent away). Grant Fuhr faced more breakaways and 2-on-1's while playing for the Oilers than Carter has pills. Oilers hockey in those years resembled a jailbreak--both ways.

Huddy was not a famous prospect when he arrived, but displayed a nice range of skills in all areas and quickly became a big part of the solution. If you asked me to name a most "underrated" Oiler from that era, Lowe or Huddy would get my vote. Calm feet, good shot, ability in all areas. There's never been an NHL team that had too many Charlie Huddy's.

This is the season we also see some of the good young kids getting castoff. Tom Roulston could play hockey, Ken Berry was a decent option and Walt Poddubny had a fine career elsewhere. There was no room in Edmonton.

THE ROOKIES 82-83

• Andy Moog (50, 3.54 .891)
  • Jaroslav Pouzar (74, 15-18-33)* overage
  • Randy Gregg (80, 6-22-28)* overage
  • Marc Habscheid (32, 3-10-13)
  • Ray Cote (14, 3-2-5 all in playoffs)

By this point the Oilers were a formidable team, and two of the three regulars I'm counting were in fact overagers. I included them to point out how good Edmonton was during the early Sather years at addressing need. Pouzar had his flaws (slllllllllllow), but was an effective player in specific areas. Gregg was a former U of A defender playing in Japan and looking at playing for Canada at the Olympics, but Sather got his name on a contract. Gregg was an important part of the Stanley teams, big, strong and underrated offensively.

Moog was a terrific goalie, I don't know if young Oiler fans know that because Fuhr got the HOF nod and is so closely associated with the other greats. Anyway, I think they could have been champions with Moog as #1 too,but he was a hair shy of Coco during these years.

I thought Habscheid would make it as an Oiler, he had all kinds of talent and worked hard. It was not to be, and I sometimes wonder about how much timing had to do with some of the draft picks later in the 80s. Many failed, but breaking into the Oiler lineup was a huge mountain to climb, even by 1982.

THE ROOKIES 83-84

• Pat Conacher (45, 2-8-10)

By this time the Oilers weren't solving problems via the system, they were acquiring top end talent to make a Stanley run. This was in fact the season that would result in their first Stanley, and only Conacher (a useful 2-way player from the Hunter, Hughes, Lumley family) played enough to qualify as a rookie.

After the pace of the previous four seasons, there wasn't a lot of room for new hires.

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

If we constructed a game that replicated the 79-84 NHL perfectly, no one would win the day like Glen Sather, Barry Fraser and the Edmonton Oilers. Luck, guile, scouting, coaching, circumstances, I'm running out of words. It was an amazing feat, one that allowed a team that was left as a shell by the old, spent, miserable men of the NHL to rebuild overnight and appear out of the sky like a Starman.

You couldn't create a story as unlikely if you tried, but there it is. The Oilers 79-84 rookie team might look like this:

• GOAL: Grant Fuhr, Andy Moog
  • DEFENSE: Paul Coffey, Kevin Lowe, Charlie Huddy, Randy Gregg, Risto Siltanen
  • CENTER: Wayne Gretzky, Mark Messier, Pat Conacher
  • LEFT WING: Jaroslav Pouzar, Dave Hunter, Dave Semenko
  • RIGHT WING: Jari Kurri, Glenn Anderson, Dave Lumley

Wow.

WHAT ELSE DOES IT REALLY MEAN?

Along with the wonder of Marian Ravenwood, there's also a sadness about these Oilers. We'll never really know how much this group could have accomplished without outside interference. And by outside interference I mean inside interference, problems that went back long before 99's sale (Coffey, Moog, the list of contract squabbles was endless). Had this group been drafted and procured in New York and under quality ownership, their light would have shone a full decade longer. That's the other side of this amazing story.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Stocc
November 29 2011, 05:23PM

.----.-----.-----.-----. / \ \ \ \ | \/ | | __L_____L__ | | | | ( \ | \___/ / \______/ | | \___/\___/\___/ | \ \ / / | __/ \_ __/ | | | | | | |

#2 TLHansum
November 29 2011, 05:34PM

why another dynasties ====== why other dynasties?

--------------

good young kids getting castoff good young kids getting cast off

#3 MAC962
November 29 2011, 05:37PM

Man - we rocked. Hard pressed to find a better team, you choose the ERA, id take that "team" over any..perhaps ever. We Salute you.

#4 Wanyes bastard child
November 29 2011, 05:37PM

Katz needs to read this!

#6 Harlie
November 29 2011, 05:45PM

Great pic of the old boys!

Would be great to see a redo with the latest batch.

Nugent, Hall, Paajarvi, Eberle

oh...and in the parlance of our times...the Dude abides.

#7 Harlie
November 29 2011, 05:48PM
Lowetide wrote:

What are those semaphore signals in the first post?

#8 Oilers G- Nations Poet Laureate
November 29 2011, 06:05PM

I remember those years. Those were the best years of my young (at the time) life. (( born in 71 )).

My pops had SEASONS TICKETS from NHL day 1.

Sec. 10 Row 30 Seats 3+4

cost per seat in 1979, $7.75

and yes, I still have my seat 4 ticket stub from Game 1 in 79 v Detroit.

#9 D
November 29 2011, 06:16PM

LT, the part of your article that most got me: "perhaps taking it for granted at times." True story. After the 1987 Cup, my dad and I were talking about how it would have been nice to attend Game 7 due to the fact that it was guaranteed that there would be a Cup presentation. So he said to me, look, when the Oilers get back to the Finals next year, I'll line up for tickets and we'll go to a game (not "if", "when").

#11 Walter Sobchak
November 29 2011, 06:22PM

Those where great time's......still feel Moog deserves the HOF same with Lowe.

This also brings us to a dilemma, I like our depth on defense in the system, but we have no Coffey, Niedemier, no Keith, Weber or a Doughty. Not even a Phaneuf in the making.

We need a top two defensemen bad. We keep on winning and we start drafting from a higher position in a draft loaded with exceptionally talented defensemen. We could have the making of a great team but we still need important pieces to be drafted IMO.

#12 D
November 29 2011, 06:25PM
Lowetide wrote:

Lol. Yeah. I thought it would go on forever. I mean, how stupid was that? I grew up watching the Bruins and Orr, what in hell would make me take it for granted?

That's why 1990 was so much fun. 2006 too, although it'll hurt in a way 1983 never will.

I think we instinctively knew that in 1983, it was the beginning of something and the Oil would be back. In 1990 it was a lot of fun, but kind of sad as well because we also instinctively knew that this might be the final hurrah (I remember the CBC crew speculating whether the 1990 win would be the start of a new dynasty or the end of the old one). 2006 - that hurts because we knew it was a one time event - kind of like Montreal in 1986.

#14 D
November 29 2011, 06:48PM
Lowetide wrote:

D: I got married in 1983, had to bring the men from my wedding party back from the bar for the reception. I tried--no really--but was unable too until the game was over. :-)

After that '83 SCF, the Hockey News ran a noxious column by Stan Fischler about how the Oilers would never win.

I still have that HN, read it from time to time. :-)

Too funny LT! I hope we get another prediction like that from Fischler.

#15 Petr's Jofa
November 29 2011, 07:12PM

Sorry if this was brought in another blog here.

I was disappointed to see that Tyler Bunz was the only Oiler prospect to get an invite to team Canada camp. Then I got to thinking about the Oil prospects... Can someone tell me if the Oilers had anyone else eligible that were close to making the cut? I may be drawing a blank, but can't even think of any high end Canadian boys that the Oilers have in the system. (Besides some Ryan kid who's lighting up the NHL)

#16 justincider
November 29 2011, 07:27PM

Great work Mr. Lowetide. I have read you everyday for years, and this piece of work may be my favorite of them all. I look forward to the rest of the series. You mentioned that the 2006 loss stung more than the 83? For me 06 was all gravy, I didnt think we really belonged the whole time. With that being said, I have never been more proud of any Oiler team. Anyway, thanks for the trip down memory lane.

P.S.

Any chance you could post some of the best quotes from that Fischler article?

#17 Stocc
November 29 2011, 07:44PM
Lowetide wrote:

What are those semaphore signals in the first post?

Perhaps the most inscrutable FIST attempt to date. It's an ASCII fist that got horribly mangled. It should've looked like this:

.----.-----.-----.-----.
 /      \     \     \     \
|  \/    |     |   __L_____L__
|   |    |     |  (           \
|    \___/    /    \______/    |
|        \___/\___/\___/       |
 \      \     /               /
  |                        __/
   \_                   __/
    |        |         |
    |                  |
    |                  |

#18 stevezie
November 29 2011, 07:44PM

I must be the only Oilers fan who think it is just tha Gretzky didn't win the Calder. I think that if you'd played in the WHA, you weren't a rookie- it was a top tier, professional league. I suppose you could make the same case about the KHL; maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I see where they're coming from anyway.

#19 book¡e
November 29 2011, 07:51PM

Stocc - you should go and edit that and fix the fist - that was nicely done.

#20 Vaclav
November 29 2011, 08:10PM

@Lowetide

"Coffey was a glorious skater, a Gil Perreault-clone (except a D) with the puck who could dance and swivel and make your heart sing. The anticipation of a Coffey rush was as much fun as you can have and still be legal. I miss him."

Every time Coffey got the puck in our zone I thought to myself, "here he goes". Truly a sight to witness.

That stretch from 79-90 was an era that most sports fans will never have an opportunity to enjoy as we did. As you said, LT, I wish now that I would have appreciated it more at the time. Sigh.

#21 Stocc
November 29 2011, 08:31PM
book¡e wrote:

Stocc - you should go and edit that and fix the fist - that was nicely done.

I would but since I comment as a guest I don't have access to the editing feature.

#22 FastOil
November 29 2011, 08:52PM

Thank You LT for your insightful pieces.

#23 book¡e
November 29 2011, 09:24PM

One of the things I remember about that era was all of the ranters who argued that Gretzky wasn't a very good player.

Moog was an awesome goalie. Fuhr was as well. What I loved about Fuhr was how soft he was on goals when his team was ahead and how tough he was when his team was tied or behind. If the Oilers were up 5-1, you could literally see Fuhr pouring himself a beer in net.

#24 BaconWrapped
November 29 2011, 09:32PM

I've been to a few games this year and that's how I feel when Hall is gearing up to burn down the wing.

#25 treblecharger
November 29 2011, 11:35PM

Would have been best fist ever!

#26 pelhem grenville

\_                   __/
    |        |         |
    |                  |
    |                  |

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

brilliant...and

you have too much time on your hands ...

Brownlee woulda even liked it!!!!!!

#27 Stocc
November 30 2011, 05:46AM
treblecharger wrote:

Would have been best fist ever!

Instead it stands as a tribute to abject failure.

#29 Romulus' Apotheosis
November 30 2011, 12:26PM

My memories are pretty much nil for that era of hockey (born 79). 89-90 was the year that I built my intense child memories around.

Thanks for recapping a great era LT!

#30 Pucker
November 30 2011, 12:47PM

I remember sitting in the blues with my brother. 3rd period. Oiler's were down 7-2 or something like that. His comment to me was to enjoy. This won't last forever. This was right after a Coffey end to end.

I don't recall whether or not they came back to win the game (they probably did) but the possibility was always there.

#31 Milli
November 30 2011, 01:00PM

GREAT READ! I'd love to see that article! For me 06 was so painful, to be so close, to go through as much as we (they) did.....gut wrenching!!! I will tell you, I will enjoy this ride more than I ever would have if not for what we have endured! Watching Hall wind it up, an Eberle backhand, Nuge do just about anything.....

#32 Ryan2
November 30 2011, 03:06PM

There was a documentary on the Gretzky trade from a couple of years ago where they asked Wayne how many cups he would have won if he had stayed. He said 3 - 4. His point was basically this: with the Oilers he was playing and practising with the best players in the world and they understood what it took to win.

#33 Spydyr
December 01 2011, 11:17AM

Thanks for the trip down memory lane.Man that team was something else.....