OKLAHOMA O-K

Lowetide
October 19 2012 12:35PM

The Oklahoma City Barons take to the ice tonight in their home opener against San Antonio. After a week of hearing about a lack of offense, impact kids Jordan Eberle and Ryan Nugent-Hopkins get another chance to impact the AHL. My guess? It's going to be real and its going to be spectacular.

They're giving away a Dodge Challenger tonight (this one is from the 1971 movie "The Vanishing Point") and  coach Todd Nelson is moving the team's best AHL veteran (Josh Green) onto a line with Eberle and Nuge. I suspect the PP will be the area where the two kids make their mark tonight and in the AHL in general: more space, elite level passing and a terrific finisher in Eberle.

WHY DIDN'T THEY DOMINATE LAST WEEKEND?

Oilers and Barons management decided the two kids didn't need a pre-season, and I think the rust shown a week ago probably impacted their timing. Although the duo got a lot of chances, a hot goalie and lack of timing was enough to keep them at zero's in Cleveland.

Tonight, it's a home game and Nugent-Hopkins and Eberle have some games behind them. The team has two weekend games and another on Tuesday, so there should be a chance to get things rolling in the next few days.

WHAT ABOUT THE OTHERS?

The club's youngsters had a nice offensive weekend in Cleveland, with Justin Schultz and Ryan Martindale at a point per game pace currently. The OKC scoring numbers are here. I've had a chance to talk to Jim Byers many times over the last couple of years, and believe me he's an excellent source. You can tune in and hear him live (listening options are here) and his game notes are always worthwhile.

I could post a photo of Jim here, but my guess is he'll agree I made the correct photo choice in this case.

Projected Lineups as per Eric Rodgers:

• Nuge-Green-Eberle
  • Arcobello-Tyrvainen-Pitlick
  • VandeVelde-Paajarvi-Hartikainen
  • House-Byers-Hamilton

WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?

The Oklahoma City Barons have a lot of firepower. They are at home and two incredibly gifted young men were held pointless in their first two games. The law of averages suggests we're going to see some offense from Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle.

Soon.

C2a6955161684b5e3189319acfa5ebe4
#1 Lummeropenet
October 19 2012, 12:52PM

Kate FIST! Winslet

#2 Dave
October 19 2012, 01:08PM

MP 3rd line already?

#3 OILERSORDEATH
October 19 2012, 01:26PM

Interesting, why sit Ryan Martindale? I thought he played fantastic

#4 Sanaa Montana
October 19 2012, 01:35PM

Who the $%^& is Josh Green? I know I know. I know who Josh Green is. But, why is he already being MacBlended with the kids? Play Paajarvi or Hartikainen or even Pitlick. Players that might actually play with them in the NHL(?). I dont know what he could have saw from Green or not see from the other three to go with this move.

#5 Jay Gray
October 19 2012, 01:37PM

Anybody have anything negative or positive to say about watching the game on AHL Live, thinking about checking it out tonight?

Calgary sucks.

#6 BlacqueJacque
October 19 2012, 01:41PM

Nuge on the wing?

Smart, but, is it good for development?

#7 Johnny
October 19 2012, 01:53PM

AHL live is POOR quality and you can assess the price for yourself.

#8 Carl FTWinslow
October 19 2012, 01:59PM

Agreed, AHL live is bad quality for the price (I bought the playoff games last year).

There will be a stream up somewhere I'm sure.

#9 Mantastic
October 19 2012, 02:02PM

@BlacqueJacque

Nuge is centering, don't worry,

LT always has it as: Center-LW-RW

#10 Bicepus Maximus - Huge fan boy!
October 19 2012, 03:03PM
Mantastic wrote:

Nuge is centering, don't worry,

LT always has it as: Center-LW-RW

Is LT from Russia and counts the period time up too?

#11 EHH Team
October 19 2012, 03:12PM

Where's Lander?

#12 Mantastic
October 19 2012, 03:35PM

@EHH Team

Lander and Martindale are healthy scratches. My guess is that they are going to cut 1 or more forwards after this weekend because having 4 extra forwards is hard on development and consistancy.

#13 RyanCoke
October 19 2012, 04:07PM

Anyone know of a free stream I can watch the game on?

#14 Rama Lama
October 19 2012, 04:22PM

I think that the biggest problem or obstacle in developing chemistry is switching lines often.

It takes time to develop chemistry........Green on the top Line makes no sense on the surface, but Nelson is a smart young coach and will eventually put some line that function to his satisfaction........time for MPS to shine!

#15 2:00 AM
October 19 2012, 04:53PM
Carl FTWinslow wrote:

There will be a stream up somewhere I'm sure.

all games here free!! better quality than AHL live!!

i use this site to watch BPL and UEFA in Design technologies

#16 RyanCoke
October 19 2012, 04:57PM

@2:00 AM

Great thank you, it answered my question as well

#17 NewAgeSys
October 19 2012, 05:43PM

Give and go,go and give,simple stuff,its the tactical shooting program that matters most.Simple zone exits and entrys,completed final transitions using a specific shooting program,then burying the hardwork rebounds.Play an Everyman game ,sticking to basics and the high octane offense will develop,just dont dump the puck in or surrender possesion without a shot on net.Short passes,lots of focus,lots of shots and rebounds.Funnel forwards to the net with those short passes,hit the net area in a wall and dig for rebounds.

#18 Carl FTWinslow
October 19 2012, 06:11PM
2:00 AM wrote:

all games here free!! better quality than AHL live!!

i use this site to watch BPL and UEFA in Design technologies

Also

#19 @Oilanderp
October 19 2012, 06:52PM

Schultz has a hard wrister without even winding up! Noone is telling the commentators the audio is still on during the breaks.

That JFJ guy looks big. The Oil should give him a shot!

#20 2:00 AM
October 19 2012, 06:55PM

in the stream i am watching i can hear what the commentators are saying during the commercial breaks.

LOL some conversation!!!

Commentator was talking to (his son?? not sure who ) and explaining the rules of hockey. His son said it was like lacrosse and didnt also know who Eberle was!!!!

I love these free streams!

#21 RyanCoke
October 19 2012, 07:18PM

@Carl FTWinslow

Is that the one that has an xbmc add on? That's what I use most of the time but can't find okc games on it

#22 @Oilanderp
October 19 2012, 07:28PM

@2:00 AM

The "free stream" is an illegal pirated feed from the AHL. Can you imagine paying their suggested price for this bush league stuff?

#23 2:00 AM
October 19 2012, 07:35PM

@@Oilanderp

for the actual games? yes but the camera work is terrible. it is so far behind sometimes.

and the audio stream is not from ahl live, it is from a radio stream in san Antonio

all the same its good to watch ebs and nuge again. Schultz looks like a boss out there. he makes nice outlet passes.

#24 Oilcruzer
October 19 2012, 07:35PM

Barons a fast team to watch.

Now that the season in the NHL is cancelled thru Nov 17...

...is anyone else going to Heat vs OKC Nov 9 and 10 Fri Sat in Abbotsford?

#25 Lofty
October 19 2012, 08:05PM

The future looks like its having a good night in the AHL

#26 Lofty
October 19 2012, 08:05PM

The future looks like its having a good night in the AHL

#27 Carl FTWinslow
October 19 2012, 08:30PM

Now that, is a beautiful box score.

Sidenote: Schultz and Marincin +5

#28 striatic
October 19 2012, 08:40PM

"...is anyone else going to Heat vs OKC Nov 9 and 10 Fri Sat in Abbotsford?"

my wife and i and some friends and their infant are driving up from seattle on the 10th.

#29 master of my domain
October 19 2012, 08:51PM
Oilcruzer wrote:

Barons a fast team to watch.

Now that the season in the NHL is cancelled thru Nov 17...

...is anyone else going to Heat vs OKC Nov 9 and 10 Fri Sat in Abbotsford?

going to the sat game, I'll be sporting my Nuuuuuge road jersey.

#30 Rocknrolla
October 19 2012, 08:56PM
striatic wrote:

"...is anyone else going to Heat vs OKC Nov 9 and 10 Fri Sat in Abbotsford?"

I will be there too striatic, my brother lives in Langley. Will be at both games. Let's meet for a beer!

#31 striatic
October 19 2012, 09:31PM
Rocknrolla wrote:

haha .. 4/5 of us don't drink : ]

hoping Hall is prepped and ready to go by then.

#32 Rocknrolla
October 19 2012, 09:36PM
striatic wrote:

haha .. 4/5 of us don't drink : ]

hoping Hall is prepped and ready to go by then.

A coffee then! Would be good to hang with some oilers fans.

#33 Oilcruzer
October 19 2012, 10:38PM

Agreed. I live out this way now.... I'll be at both games. we'll need set up a meet.

Don't need priciest seats, all seats are great and you can move around.

#34 NewAgeSys
October 20 2012, 03:28AM

The third goal was beautiful,that was pure NHS-textbook-,excellent half rink cycle by everyone and a perfect finish ,That is the stuff.

Really nice give and go on the first goal as well,excellent execution there.

Overall well done and back on track,the transitions were looking very good as was the cycling game,the shots on net and goals for reflected this.MPS is looking very good this year,his defensive play is so solid he is a stand out in that dept--ask for all the offense you want but that guy has elite natural defensive instincts.Great game,I am going to be daydreaming about that 3rd goal and the poetry of it all for a long time.