Well Yak City proved all his haters wrong last night showing all who cared to see that he can score with seconds left on the clock and keep from sliding across the ice in celebration. He stood there against the glass last night in Phoenix, having batted a puck out of the air with a little over a minute left on the clock in overtime, daring his team mates to come and hug him.
And hug him they did. Except Whitney who decided to punch out a Coyote.
Well played all around fellas.
DUSTY OLD SQUADS ARE SCREWED
Now yes we are an Oilers fan. And as such it is our responsibility by law to become over confident around the 6 game mark of the season. After all if the object of the game was to be awesome through the preseason and first 6 games of the year the Oilers would have won the Stanley Cup about 11 years in a row now.
Still we can’t help but note a few facts:
- There are a lot of teams that have been off during the lockout. The Oilers had 12 players playing the entire lockout and a great many of them playing together in the AHL. This is only bound to help as this season continues and the conditioning of the other squads starts to falter.
- There are a lot of dustry old squads with a lot of dusty old hamstrings out there looking to pull themselves. A lot of these teams are looking old and tired don’t you think? Old and tired and injury prone.
- There is an absolute ton of hockey to be played. We are getting tired already and we aren’t even on the ice. As the season wears on with three games in four nights injuries are going to play a massive role as older players wear out.
- This is a completely upgraded team over last year. We suppose adding Nail Yakupov and Justin Schultz to an already stacked lineup had a positive effect. Who knew?*
- During his post game interview with Gene last night Yakupov added at the end "thank you for drafting me" and OUR VERY HEART MELTED. Noting this in the annals of history is of prime importance.
Oil are second in the NW and haven’t really played all that well yet. Hmm.
HOODIES IN THE DESERT
Other things working in the Oilers favour? How about hoodies being shipped to all corners of the Earth and making their debut on the road with the Ladds in Phoenix last night! Yes, by now all of the hoodies are in transit and have already started to reach their destinations.
And they are living up to their reputation as being magic hoodies too – released on the weekend the lockout unexpectedly ended, these babies are now 1-0 on the road by our count.
BITS AND BITES
* Probably anyone on earth who had a working knowledge of hockey.
** Mad props to our buddy Chris Dunlap on the twitter for the Yak City pic to start the article off. If you want to see your name and photo in an article read by literally tens and tens of people send whatever you think is funny to your old pal Wanye on twitter too.