Well… That just happened. Final Score: 6-1 Kings.
Today, we were sitting at Nation HQ talking about what needs to be done to turn this season around. Then news broke that Petry was a healthy scratch, then both Nuge and Eberle weren’t playing – oh happy day! The Nation was falling apart. Petry is arguably one of the best defencemen on this team (stop laughing, I know), and having him in the press box while instead deciding to throw Nurse to the wolves is strange. Not to mention, missing 2/3 of your top line is always fun. Regardless of who scratched who where and for what reason, there was a game to play.
I was really anxious to see how Nurse was going to handle this game. Not only was he playing in his very first NHL game, he was doing it against the Kings. I was excited to see how he handled the challenge. Unfortunately, someone on the coaching staff thought that matching him up with Justin Schultz would be smart. Results were as imagined. It’s impossible to blame this game on any one player, though. From start to finish, this game smelled of farts and played like a kick to the balls. It was tough to watch. The result only amplifies the scrutiny over Eakins’ roster decisions for tonight. The Nation was angry and understandably so. Honestly, the most entertaining part of the game was the #HereComesTheOilers hashtag on Twitter.
Let’s wrap it up…
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Nurse played reasonably well despite the circumstances.
- Nugey got free popcorn.
- Twitter was entertaining.
- I learned that sea otters have a favourite rock that they keep under a flap of skin.
THE FACE PALMERS
- I missed Lil Nugey. 🙁
- Who honestly thought that Darnell Nurse being paired with Justin Schultz would be a good idea?
- The Kings are really good at hockey.
- The first period was the longest game of my life.
- Fasth pulled himself and possibly his groin.
- Running the clock wasn’t an option.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
Nuge woulda killed that guy.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) October 15, 2014
This is not how guaranteed win night is supposed to start, you guys.
— SirFozz (@SirFozz) October 15, 2014
We are losing to the Kings pic.twitter.com/b0Smcppqs6
— The Andy Babic (@TheAndyBabic) October 15, 2014
@OilersNation we may be losing bad, but I’m gonna reserve all my judgment until I see the corsi numbers
— RexHolez (@VenneJr) October 15, 2014
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) October 15, 2014
— Noel May (@Noel_May) October 15, 2014
— Kris (@_AGuyNamedKris) October 15, 2014
LA Kings average age is 27.4. Oilers average age is 26.6. It’s not a youth thing. It’s an Oilers thing.
— Rob Tychkowski (@Sun_Tychkowski) October 15, 2014
— Anders Haustreis (@andershaustreis) October 15, 2014
— Justen Dmytriw (@Jussi_31) October 15, 2014
@OilersNation all we need is a touchdown…
— Pestival (@Pestival1) October 15, 2014
Remember kids, 30 years ago the Oilers lost to the Whalers 11-0 and learned from it to win the cup!
— Travis Dakin (@TravisDakin) October 15, 2014
@OilersNation Oilers gonna Oil.
— Eric Johnson (@EricJJohnson79) October 15, 2014
— stephen pilkey (@Pilkey77) October 15, 2014
— Shauggy says… (@Edmonton_rookie) October 15, 2014
TAYLOR HALL CHARITY RAFFLE
Lastly, I wanted to mention this Taylor Hall charity raffle that is happening at netraffle.org. Not only are tickets extremely cheap ($2) and the prizes be great, but all proceeds will be going to the Boys and Girls Club of Kingston. What kind of prizes, you ask? Check out the grand prize!
- 4 tickets to watch the Edmonton Oilers Vs. Carolina Hurricanes on October 24th, 2014
- Game-used memorabilia from Taylor Hall
- Winner and 3 guests will dine with Taylor Hall at LUX Steakhouse
- Winner and 3 guests will be provided with transportation to and from dinner
- 2 Taylor Hall Edmonton Oilers jerseys autographed by Taylor Hall
- Receive $1,000 to put towards travel and accommodations (if needed, if used)