The effort was there, but the goals were not. Final Score: 2-0 Canucks.
If ever there was a game that the Oilers had to win, it was tonight. As ridiculous as it sounds, the Oilers are already getting themselves into “must win” situations. This 7 game home stand could get really ugly if they don’t turn this thing around. I imagine the ice being covered in overpriced merch and beer soaked cry rags. If the Oilers got blown out again, the boos would likely have been heard as far away as Waskatenau, Alberta. It’s a real town, look it up. Actually, they have this gas station in Waskatenau called Peppers that sells the best cheese breads, and cinnamon buns – it’s weird, but it’s true. But I digress.
Tonight’s game was not only important for the season as a whole, it was also important for the fans. If you’ve been around the Nation, you’d know that the comments sections are starting to resemble the diary of a goth child named Starbaby. Just as importantly, tonight’s game was huge for Ben Scrivens. The guy has taken a lot of heat over the past few days, and you just knew that he was due for a really solid night between the pipes. Tonight, Ben Scrivens played good enough for the Oilers to win the game, and I think that’s all anybody wants from a goaltender.
Despite the loss, I’m not mad about tonights game. I mean, it sucked that they lost again, but it wasn’t the same kind of loss as there was against against the Coyotes or the Kings. There was actually a consistent effort throughout the game, and that’s been lacking forever around these parts. Yes, a loss is a loss and the hole got a little bit deeper, but at least we got to watch a decent hockey game… I guess. Man… Moral victories are what we’ve come to? Sad days in the Nation.
Let’s wrap it up…
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- NUGEY, I MISSED YOU!
- Really solid start for the Oilers. They were controlling the play in the first period.
- Big saves by Scrivens, he was really good all night.
- Alcohol makes every Oilers game more enjoyable.
- Yakupov was solid AGAIN. #YakCityRising
- No jerseys were thrown in the filming of this hockey game.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Zack Kassian’s existence.
- Lots of good puck movement on the Power Play, but they just couldn’t cash.
- Alex Burrows went another day without biting anyone. It’s only a matter of time before he strikes again. The unfortunate part is that we have no idea when or where that will be.
- Why wasn’t Taylor Hall on the ice for the last 45 seconds of the game? Derp.
- A loss is a loss is a loss.
- Moral victories are for the birds.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
#OilersPositives Lord Yakupov
— Kris (@_AGuyNamedKris) October 18, 2014
@OilersNation Nuge kills penalties now? He does it all now: kills, scores, fights..he’ll be a real lady-killer when he finally gets to drive
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) October 18, 2014
@OilersNation that was the delayed nose bleed from a nuge haymaker
— Adrian Benoit (@adrianbenoit) October 18, 2014
— Tyler Zeman (@ty_zeman) October 18, 2014
Oilers go nearly two periods without allowing a goal. No jerseys have been lost.
— Ian Gooding (@Ian_Gooding) October 18, 2014
— Yoked up Doe (@RayzieBone) October 18, 2014
— Thomasean Vernon (@TomVernonGlobal) October 18, 2014
Apparently there was a jersey tosser in Toronto tonight #OilersInspirations
— Coldplay_Oilers (@coldplay_oilers) October 18, 2014
Oilers looked good. Cant deny that. Just couldn’t get a goal.
— Danika (@neekers_92) October 18, 2014
It’ll be interesting to see fan reaction tonight. The #Oilers didn’t play a bad game, but they didn’t win either.
— Jonathan Willis (@JonathanWillis) October 18, 2014
At least it wasn’t embarassing? #OilerPositives
— SGordon (@shanestrain) October 18, 2014
@OilersNation this is all tom poti’s fault!
— Joey (@JSM202) October 18, 2014
TAYLOR HALL CHARITY RAFFLE
Another mention about this really great Taylor Hall charity raffle that is happening at netraffle.org. Not only are tickets ridiculously cheap ($2) and the prizes be great, but all proceeds will be going to the Boys and Girls Club of Kingston. You want to know about prizes? Check out the grand prize:
- 4 tickets to watch the Edmonton Oilers Vs. Carolina Hurricanes on October 24th, 2014
- Game-used memorabilia from Taylor Hall
- Winner and 3 guests will dine with Taylor Hall at LUX Steakhouse
- Winner and 3 guests will be provided with transportation to and from dinner
- 2 Taylor Hall Edmonton Oilers jerseys autographed by Taylor Hall
- Receive $1,000 to put towards travel and accommodations (if needed, if used)