They say that “close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades”… or something. Final Score: 4-3 Sharks.
I have to admit, I’m still confused as to what is going on behind the Oilers bench. Is MacT calling all the shots, or is Todd Nelson (aka Nelly, aka St. Lunatic) running the show? Systems wise, is Todd Nelson teaching the same system he runs in OKC, or is MacT pulling some strings there? Only the Oilers could make the head coaching position so confusing. At this point, all I care about is that they have a head coach that knows what he’s doing.
This loss can almost be filed in the ELPH category of Oilers hockey! Despite collecting another token for the McDavid lottery, the Oilers actually played an entertaining brand of hockey. The Twitterz was abuzz with fans that were pleasantly surprised to see the Oilers crashing the net, and playing like an NHL hockey team. I almost thought they were going to pull off a win, if not for the 34 second scramble in the 3rd period.
Regardless of whether they played well or not, the Oilers have to find a way to close out games. This was another 1 goal loss that they had a chance at winning. As always, the Oilers were punished for their mistakes. Whether it was a bad line change, a defensive miscue, or a giveaway – they all seemed to end up in the back of the net. The little things are killing the Oilers, and if they want to start winning games they’ll have to iron out these details.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Taylor Hall is still an Oiler. TAKE THAT, INTERNET!
- Little Nugey is turning into a takeaway machine. He’s stealing pucks a lot, and he’s only going to get better at it.
- Boyd Gordon doesn’t get enough credit for what he does. He’s the kind of player that does the dirty work, and tonight he was rewarded with a goal for his efforts.
- The Oilers were actually GOING TO THE NET! It’s a Christmas miracle!
- Justin Schultz had a solid game. For as much as people hammer on him, you have to give him credit when he earns it. He wasn’t great on the 2nd Couture goal (at all), but he played well overall.
THE FACE PALMERS
- The Oilers played really well in the first period, and it was confusing emotionally. Playing well in the first period is kind of like finding a crop circle. It doesn’t happen every day, and when it does you’re not really sure how to handle it.
- The Pittsburgh Penguins don’t wear their throwback jerseys nearly enough. That’s not at all related to this game, but I felt like it should be noted anyway. Thank you for your patience. Now back to your regularly scheduled complaining.
- The Sharks don’t have enough former captains playing for them.
- Why are line changes killing the Oilers right now? The Sharks 1st goal came as a result of a bad line change.
- The swarm came back to haunt us on the Sharks 2nd goal.
- The Oilers lose the lead just as quickly as they took it. The Oilers couldn’t close after taking a 3-2 lead into the 3rd period.
- Brad Hunt iced the puck on the last rush of the game. Seriously.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Douglas Dyck (@dougers14) December 19, 2014
Ahhhh yeah…that’s what I want…the keys to the game. *lights cigarette*
— TheTowelBoy (@TheTowelBoy) December 19, 2014
— Noel May (@Noel_May) December 19, 2014
— Andrew (@CDNcomrade) December 19, 2014
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) December 19, 2014
Every time Nelson tells an Oiler player to do something, I can picture MacT standing behind Nelson shaking his fist and mouthing “or else”.
— Rascal Gas (@rascalgas) December 19, 2014
“THEY KNOW HOW TO DO THIS?!” – Dallas Eakins right now
— Wanye (@WanyeGretz) December 19, 2014
“That’s more like it” – Dallas Eakins right now
— Wanye (@WanyeGretz) December 19, 2014
@OilersNation Its December so is this an ELPH on the shelf?
— Bob McDonald (@bobbymac_24) December 19, 2014
THE #NATIONLIMO AND A PHOTOSHOP WINNER…
As bad as the Oilers have been, this season (and the last 8 seasons), it’s awesome to go to the game in the #NationLimo. When you have tickets to the game, head to the Pint Downtown and you could win a ride to, and from, the game in a limo. On top of that, we’ll hook you up with some Nation swag and an Oodle Noodle GC. All you have to do is let the bartenders know that you want your name on the list. You should also note that this isn’t some special event, this is happening every home game. Write that down, take a screep cap, or lock it in your mind locker. It’s a good time, and you should be there.
Another photoshop contest comes to a close, and there are winners to announce. I want to give a big thank you to everyone that submitted an entry for the December photoshop contest. As always, you guys shone like diamonds and we appreciate your hard work. Stay tuned for January’s contest to be announced early in the new year.