At least the game finished early! Final Score: 5-1 Leafs.
Hockey fans everywhere must have had this game circled on their calendar. Who wouldn’t get excited about a game featuring a team on an 11 game losing streak, and another than hasn’t made the playoffs since JT was bringing sexy back. That being said, skipping the game wasn’t an option. Unfortunately, what we got was another couple hours that we could have used on absolutely anything else in life – thanks Oilers. On the bright side, this loss may give the Leafs some confidence and take them out of the McDavid sweepstakes.
Quite frankly, we should have all been doing anything else tonight. This game was 50 shades of awful – there’s no other way to describe it. What started out as a boring first period turned into one of the biggest turds the Oilers have laid on the ice in a while. At this point, I don’t even know what to say anymore. The Leafs are a struggling team that was on an 11-game losing streak, but the Oilers did everything they could to end that streak. If nothing else, the Oilers are gracious house guests.
The thing I don’t understand is why these types of games always have to happen on National TV? The Oilers got shutout against Pittsburgh on Wednesday, and got absolutely shelled by the Leafs tonight. I guess, if they’re going to put on such a special version of suckassery® they want the whole country to be able to see it. I mean, if you’re going to do such a spectacular job of being awful, why not share it with a few friends?
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- I met and had a conversation with Ryan Smyth last night. I know that has absolutely nothing to do with tonight’s game but I really don’t care. Thank you.
- The game is over.
- I just found out that Steve Staios is an assistant coach for the Leafs. No wonder they’re terrible. Unless of course you need solid lessons on how to rim the puck around the boards #SteveStaiosBreakout. Speaking of terrible… ahhh nevermind.
- I can only imagine that Viktor Fasth threatened to punch or stab most of his teammates tonight. This was an ugly, disastrous night.
- Luke Gazdic broke the shutout with his first of the year. I can’t believe that’s a bright side either.
- At least Twitter was good all night.
- The Oilers won’t give up the McDavid dream without a fight!
THE FACE PALMERS
- I don’t get to hang out with Ryan Smyth tonight.
- Morgan Reilly scored a slick little goal in the second period. It annoys me seeing how good his hands are. I only give him partial marks because he did it against the Oilers.
- At this point, an Oilers/Leafs game is about as exciting as finding pennies. That being said, the Oilers gave the Leafs back some confidence which will hopefully hurt them in the McEichel sweepstakes.
- Everything about this game sucked. When the Oilers had scoring chances, they seemed to hit the post. When the Leafs had chances, they went in.
- Kelly Hrudey said that Ryan Nugent-Hopkins is a “second or third line centre.” Saying a second liner is arguable, but a third liner? Ridiculous in every way.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
Clarkson a healthy scratch. This is to rub both Nonis and MacT’s nose in it, right?
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) February 8, 2015
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) February 7, 2015
Is there literally a tank at this game?
— James Mirtle (@mirtle) February 8, 2015
@OilersNation Please say it isn’t because MacT is working a deal out for him.
— Duey (@Duey_99) February 8, 2015
— Target Audience (@TargetAud18) February 8, 2015
@OilersNation Klefbom is a player! And I don’t mean the steal your girlfriend kind….but then again. ..
— Rip Van Winkle (@bhlazo) February 8, 2015
— Jeff Veillette (@Jeffler) February 8, 2015
@OilersNation Think I see the problem with the Leafs…if you want to win McEichel, you have to compete. This is not competing…properly.
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) February 8, 2015
— Kevin Karius (@KevinKarius) February 7, 2015
Oilers are losing to the slumping Leafs and RNH is a third line center.
What a time to be alive.
— Taylor S (@phreebassist) February 8, 2015
@OilersNation stopped watching the game to catch the W5 story on counterfeit jerseys. Why throw a $300 jersey when a $35 one looks real?
— Scott Empson (@ScottEmpson) February 8, 2015
I’m finding the Oilers’ losses are much more funny when I don’t actually watch the game. @OilersNation
— Kevin Schut (@DrKevinSchut) February 8, 2015
— Jalal Teliani (@JalalTeliani) February 8, 2015
It’s time to fire up the photoshop machine. It’s contest time. Stay tuned for the theme of this month’s contest this week on the Nation.