That was probably one of the worst offside calls in the history of ice or whistles. Only three more games left. Three. More. Games. Final Score: 2-1
This really has been a strange year. Last summer, we were all flooded with positivity after the hiring of Peter Chiarelli, Todd McLellan, and, very obviously, the luck that landed us Connor McDavid. But now that we’re wrapping up chapter one of Peter Chiarelli’s first year as the Oilers’ GM, the narrative around Edmonton has moved from story of hope to a tail of despair. Now we’re three games away from what could be a total yard sale. I know the day is coming where one, or possibly two, of our first overall picks get(s) traded, but it will still fell odd to process the news when the time comes. I mean, we already know that Nail Yakupov has three more games left to play as an Oiler but that doesn’t make it any less strange.
This summer could possibly (hopefully?) be one of the wildest summers we’ve around here. It’s funny to see how passionate we fans can be about who should stay and who should go, but, in reality, who shouldn’t go when your team is perennially finishing in last place? In reality Connor McDavid probably should be the only untouchable that the Oilers have on the roster, but that doesn’t mean we won’t fight for our favourites to stay. As much as it will be exciting to see what happens I can also see how unbearable Oilers Twitter/Internet will be until next season starts. Trade winds they are a blowin’, and they seem to making their way right through the Nation.
As for tonight’s game, it was definitely frustrating, but not so much because the Oilers played poorly, but more so because they made dumb mistakes that led to goals. Adam Clendening was the goat master general tonight, and he was the direct cause of both of Anaheim’s goals, with the second being the toast to his transformation into Jultz 2.0. Unfortunately, getting down by two goals to the Ducks was too much. That being said, the Oilers did keep up with the Ducks for the most part (MOAR SHOTS!) and could have, once again, taken points away from this game had it not been for a couple mistakes and their power play striking out worse than a mute at phone sex job fair.
I don’t know how many games the power play has cost the Oilers but I’d put money on several. Who would have thought that the power play would be such an issue on this team? Add it to the pile, I guess.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Only three games left.
- Connor McDavid is an absolute pleasure to watch and I don’t care if I say it in every Wrap Up for the rest of my life.
- Nail Yakupov scored his seventh goal of the year on an absolute rocket of a snap shot from the slot. After news broke about his trade request there was a big segment of fans that understand and wish him well — myself included. I was happy to see him score tonight and will enjoy watching his last three games as an Oiler.
- Taylor Hall had a solid game, and he was buzzing around the puck all night long. He got an assist on the Yakupov goal and likely should have gotten more. I think he’s played better than his point streak would have some people believe.
- Darnell Nurse was solid and brought the physicality that we’ve come to expect from him. I especially liked when Darryl got in Kesler’s face. I would have loved to see Nurse hurt his face feelings.
- Jordan Eberle had a solid game and likely should have had a couple goals. He got set up a few times on the power play with good looks at the net but John Gibson was able to shut the door.
- Cam Talbot was also solid again, and it’s a relief knowing that the Oilers won’t have to go out looking for a starting goalie this summer. Talbot finished with 23 saves and a .920 save%.
- For as bad as the Oilers power play is, the penalty kill is good. They killed off all four of Anaheim’s chances and the Ducks have a very good power play.
- The Oilers were 57% in the face off circle. Impressive when you consider the amount of experience on the other side.
- Outshot Anaheim 28-25 which would have been a win in lost seasons past.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Moral victories for everybody!
- Anaheim ended the McPoint streak!
- Three more games left in the Yakupov era. I, for one, am bummed out about it. I’ll miss you, Yak. I’m sorry that things didn’t work out between us, but a good chunk of that is our fault. The player is always the one that should look in the mirror first, but I can’t help but wonder about how he was handled along the way.
- Adam Clendening has filled in for Justin Schultz better than anyone could have imagined. He makes the weirdest choices at the weirdest times and it’s not overly surprising when they end up in the net. He was on the hook for two tonight. Amazing how much of an impact he played in 6:27 on the ice.
- You’d have to think that Anton Lander is playing his last games as an Oiler, right?
- Corey Perry scored tonight and he is so annoying for so many reasons.
- Power Play = Garbage Fire Marshmellows
- Does anybody else watch that kind of reffing and think that these guys got the job as a result of a contest? That offside call at the end of the game had to be one of the worst calls in an NHL game in the history of the world.
|04:02||ANA||Corey Perry (31) Slapshot – ASST: Jamie McGinn (16), Rickard Rakell (23)||1 – 0 ANA|
|12:48||ANA||Brandon Pirri (13) Wrist shot – ASST: NONE||2 – 0 ANA|
|11:40||EDM||Nail Yakupov (7) Snap shot – ASST: Taylor Hall (36), Leon Draisaitl (32)||2 – 1 ANA|
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Ham andBun (@hamandbun) March 29, 2016
@OilersNation I hope the rebuild is over before Cogs retires.
— Rusty Shackleford (@AdmiralRusty) March 29, 2016
@OilersNation I’d love to see Eberle punch Kesler’s face in…far more embarrassing for Kesler, and, therefore, more satisfying
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) March 29, 2016
— Vincent Roth (@oh_shart) March 29, 2016
@jsbmbaggedmilk Like finishing a drink at last call. Going to enjoy it and make it last, and you will feel like shit later.
— TurboT from PB (@EgersundFarmTom) March 29, 2016
— Alex Darby (@AlexDarby14) March 29, 2016
How about a coach’s challenge on that BOTCHED offside call? No wait, it only works one way. Nice work @NHL
— Bruce McMcCurdy (@BruceMcCurdy) March 29, 2016
— Rip Van Winkle (@bhlazo) March 29, 2016
THE NORTH X NORTHGRETZ PODCAST
It’s a special birthday edition of North By NorthGretz! We celebrate Chris The Intern’s birthday before talking about the Nurse/Haley situation, whether or not the Oilers have a shot at Oliver Ekman-Larsson, and if we’ve seen the last of Nugent-Hopkins in an Oilers jersey. Then it’s time for Chris to embarrass himself playing a movie quotes game before all of life’s mysteries are once again answered in Ask The Idiots!
- Episode 11 – Is There A TV Doctor In The House?
- Episode 12 – Making An Interner
- Episode 13 – Guilty Pleasures
- Episode 14 – All Star Weekend
- Episode 15 – Disaster In Jasper
- Episode 16 – Contagious
- Episode 17 – Story time with Pat Hughes
- Episode 18 – The Trade Deadline
- Episode 19 – Clean N’ Jerks
- Episode 20 – Battle of Blogberta
- Episode 21 – Down with the Sickness