From all of us at Oilersnation, I wanted to take a quick minute this morning to wish everyone a very Happy New Year. I hope that whatever you got up to last night when the clock struck midnight hasn’t handed you a hangover that will keep you frozen in your bed like a statue until the early hours of the afternoon.
Needless to say, it’s been a strange year (I feel like that’s being nice) for Oilers fans that were expecting to be watching their team contend by now. Over the last 12 months, the team has made all kinds of strange choices that seem to come without results or consequences and that’s left the playoffs in limbo for the third time in the first four years of Connor McDavid’s career. For Oilers fans, 2018 has been a rollercoaster through disasterland and I, personally, won’t be sad to see it go because there’s no way next year could possibly be as bad. Right? RIGHT?! As is the case with any new year, there will still be plenty of questions that need answers as the Oilers start to turn the pages of the new calendar. How long will they allow this management team to continuously fail at basically before making the changes that are desperately needed? Will Peter Chiarelli get to make even more bizarre trades to try and save his job? How long will ownership allow this to go on? Will Hitchcock be able to turn things around for the second time? Who will SIUTBOHC? Only time will tell, but we’re all fortunate that we’re able to navigate those waters together.
As I do every year, I wanted to end things off with a few New Year’s resolutions for the Edmonton Oilers in the hopes that they will have a much better 2019 than they did 2018. Is that too much to ask? No, I didn’t think so either. Happy hangovers, everybody.
NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS
- You will clean house on this management team. YOU MUST. They’re setting the Oilers back years.
- You will respect Connor McDavid’s career by surrounding him with GOOD players
- You will NOT treat the best players on this team as whipping boys when the team is struggling. Sometimes depth matters.
- You will support the goaltenders with adequate defensive zone coverage
- You will purge the dead weight from this roster, clearing millions of dollars in cap space in the process
- You will not be surprised when your favourite childhood movie/TV show is remade into a CGI version because there are no more good ideas apparently
- You will still be down with O.P.P.