Dylan Holloway and Philip Broberg are untouchable:
Daniel Nugent-Bowman writes that Philip Broberg and Dylan Holloway are both pretty much considered untouchable. He notes that there are some people in the organization who thinks Broberg could be as good as Jakob Chychrun by the end of the season.
— Oilers Access (@oilersaccess) January 22, 2023
The Oilers have checked on Gavrikov:
Elliotte Friedman on 32 Thoughts segment: “I think EDM & TOR are among the teams who have looked into Gavrikov.”
Friedman also says CBJ is allowing teams to talk to Gavrikov for a potential contract extension.
The 27-year-old is a pending UFA.#LeafsForever
— Joseph Zita (@josephdzita) January 22, 2023
The asking prices are too darn high!
– Canucks naming Tocchet HC on Monday, per Marek.
– Horvat ask is 3 players, incl. top prospect
– mid-Feb. decision coming on CHI trading Kane/Toews
👉 Friedman: Pastrnak extension is moving along 👈
– CBJ letting teams talk to Gavrikov (1st+ wanted back)
— matt porter (@mattyports) January 22, 2023
- Per Nugent-Bowman, the Oilers could either waive Derek Ryan once Kailer Yamamoto returns, or trade him. However, they’re also open to re-signing the 36-year-old right-shot centre. Ryan has scored six goals and has five assists on the season. As an Oiler, he has 16 goals and 33 points in 121 games played, fine production for a fourth-line centre.
- Marek noted on the 32 Thoughts podcast that the Canucks plan to hire Rick Tocchet on Monday. To say the Canucks have mishandled their coaching situation this year would be a huge understatement. However, that’s a rant for another day (more specifically, tomorrow in the Pacific Division Roundup.)
- Tocchet, 58 years old, last coached for the Arizona Coyotes, amassing a 24-26-6 record during the plague year of 2020-2021. In his six years of being a head coach, he has a 178-200-60 record, only making the playoffs once, and that was during the expanded 2019-2020 playoffs.
- On Friday night, someone captured Bob Nicholson, Ken Holland, and Jay Woodcroft at the Vancouver game against the Colorado Avalanche. The defending Stanley Cup champions have recently forced their way into the final wildcard spot (sorry Calgary), so it’s doubtful they’re looking for players on the Avalanche.
- Could they be scouting the aforementioned Horvat? Or potentially Luke Schenn? The last time the Oilers and Canucks made a trade was all the way back in 2016, when the Oilers sent Philip Larsen to the Canucks for a fifth-round pick in 2017. Interestingly, that pick was moved with a 2017 third-round pick so that the Oilers could move up in the draft and select… Stuart Skinner. That’s a whole different story, though.