Tease, tease, tease

tease

There’s no excuse for the half-hearted effort the Edmonton Oilers trotted out for a capacity crowd at Rexall Place in a 2-1 loss to the Nashville Predators, but if you’re surprised, you’re gullible.

Led by Dustin Penner, my choice as poster boy for a team that plays with the commitment it takes to be a legitimate contender only when it damn well feels like it, the Oilers delivered yet another pulse-less performance. Just when Joe Fan had reason to believe the Oilers might be building a head of steam after watching their team bounce back from a 10-2 sheet-soiler against Buffalo Tuesday with a workmanlike 3-1 decision over the Minnesota Wild Friday, their team phoned it in against the Predators, a team that rolled into town with a 9-15-2 road record.

No intensity. No drive. No commitment to detail. No sense of seizing the moment and heading for their Super Bowl party with a 7-2 roll in their last nine games on the go. Hell, 6-3 is good enough, isn’t it? I mean, the Oilers, as of today, are in the playoffs. What could go possibly go wrong?

Have some chips. Beverage? Relax.

Haven’t we seen this movie before?

NO JAM

Let coach Craig MacTavish tell it. “We didn’t have enough jam from our role players,” he began. “To be an NHL player, you’ve got to provide some consistency. “When you don’t have stats to back up a stall in that dressing room, you better provide some jam. We didn’t get enough of it early and it was our undoing.” With Western Conference standings as tight as they are and just one game removed from the humiliation against the Sabres, how the could the Oilers possibly be as indifferent as they appeared against the Predators?

“We have to take the responsibility to take care of our own business,” said MacTavish. “We haven’t done that for a few years here. “When you get a game like that where you can drive a nail in, you get the game. You can always exhibit the urgency and the intensity. The one thing you want to show in a game like that, as we saw in the Minnesota game, is the intensity from everybody. “That’s why guys fail to establish themselves as NHL players. They can’t be counted on. They can’t bring the consistency. It’s a tease. It’s every four or five games for a few guys. We need more consistent jam.”

Let’s let captain Ethan Moreau, who played his backside off and finished the game with nine shots, but got no sniff, take a whirl at explaining it. “We didn’t have the urgency to score goals we needed and it was obvious,” said Moreau. “It’s really frustrating. I thought we’d respond better, but we didn’t. It’s not everybody. There were guys who worked really hard, but we didn’t have enough. It wasn’t enough. I’m not going to make excuses. That wasn’t good enough. We need more through our line-up.”

Lack of jam. Not enough intensity. An absence of commitment. Hmm, does that sound like a problem to you?

DOG DAYS

Leading the lethargy for the umpteenth time this season was Penner, who is playing himself back into the doghouse. With just two goals in his last 19 games, Penner pumped the pooch for a couple of periods before taking a ride on the pine for the second straight game. “From my perspective, it’s a case of he’s lost his game,” said MacTavish, resisting the urge to carve Penner another orifice from which to poop as he did a couple months ago.

“It’s more his play with the puck. When you have a guy like (Ales) Hemsky playing at the level he’s at now, all you’ve got to do is get the puck to him somewhere between the hash marks in your own end and the red line and you’re going to get a chance. “Every time he touches the puck, he’s creating a chance. He (Hemsky) is an elite player at the top of his game now and we’ve got to find somebody . . . We need somebody who can go in there and make some plays. I can’t give him the ice time when we need performance so badly.”

I can’t imagine why GM Steve Tambellini wouldn’t try to dump Penner before the trade deadline, but I can’t think of any team foolish enough to take on his contract. One way or another, Tambellini has to find a way to get more production from his left side.

Penner’s funk is far from Tambellini’s only problem, even if it might be the most pressing.

But, hey, relax. Have some chips. Beverage?

— Listen to Robin Brownlee every Thursday from 4 to 6 p.m. on Just A Game with Jason Gregor on TEAM 1260.

  • Fortboy

    RobinB wrote:

    Yes, but Wanye likes bikini waxes and he makes his own clothes from old newspapers.

    HAHA! You do have a way with descriptive words. I need to bleach my brain after that image burn in.

  • CurtisS

    You wanna know what really ******* me off
    Quote Tsn
    Coach Craig Mactavish singled out forwards Dustin Penner, Kyle Brodziak and Marc Pouliot at practice on Monday and then made them bag skate after pratice. General Manager Steve Tambellini was asked if a coaching change is needed, and he said no. Sam Gagner practiced and is expected back on Tuesday when the Oilers host the Blackhawks.

    How the hell did Reddox do anymore than them and why isnt Reddox doing it too. This kinda shit doesnt go far as a team.

    You win as a team, you lose as a team.
    Stupid Mact.

  • David S

    Deep Oil wrote:

    Travis Dakin wrote:

    TD – a personal seat license is used by sports owner to finance buildings – in Toronto the PSL was $25K per seat
    and now sells for $45K per seat – it is a false economy or cash grab to generate more revenue by the owner, in some cases the funds are needed to generate more long term revenue streams such as improvements, arena lounges, conference rooms…..
    If Edmonton has a team that is in demand – PSL’s will be in play – bringing $250 – $500 million in revenue to Katz for team capital payback, and development for the entire project – you end up floating Katz’s boat and can sell your PSL when you no longer wish to be a season ticket holder for more, less or the same amount of funds. Reminder – Katz borrowed $100 million to buy the oil eig shares – where do you think the next $100 million is going to come from – the tooth fairy or government – it will cost more to be an oiler fan if RX2 even goes ahead in this climate.
    Remember some sports teams are selling renewable terms on PSL’s – so they grab cash in the future….

    It's a quantum leap from knowing what a PSL is and speculating (in this case gossiping) that Katz will follow suit.

    Sorry man, not buying it.

  • Colin

    CurtisS wrote:

    You wanna know what really ******* me off
    Quote Tsn
    Coach Craig Mactavish singled out forwards Dustin Penner, Kyle Brodziak and Marc Pouliot at practice on Monday and then made them bag skate after pratice. General Manager Steve Tambellini was asked if a coaching change is needed, and he said no. Sam Gagner practiced and is expected back on Tuesday when the Oilers host the Blackhawks.
    How the hell did Reddox do anymore than them and why isnt Reddox doing it too. This kinda shit doesnt go far as a team.
    You win as a team, you lose as a team.
    Stupid Mact.

    Haven't seen the article but WTF, most of the team deserved that bag skate, and to be fair Brodz wasn't that bad if memory serves, he came close.

  • Deep Oil

    David S wrote:

    Deep Oil wrote:
    Travis Dakin wrote:
    TD – a personal seat license is used by sports owner to finance buildings – in Toronto the PSL was $25K per seat
    and now sells for $45K per seat – it is a false economy or cash grab to generate more revenue by the owner, in some cases the funds are needed to generate more long term revenue streams such as improvements, arena lounges, conference rooms…..
    If Edmonton has a team that is in demand – PSL’s will be in play – bringing $250 – $500 million in revenue to Katz for team capital payback, and development for the entire project – you end up floating Katz’s boat and can sell your PSL when you no longer wish to be a season ticket holder for more, less or the same amount of funds. Reminder – Katz borrowed $100 million to buy the oil eig shares – where do you think the next $100 million is going to come from – the tooth fairy or government – it will cost more to be an oiler fan if RX2 even goes ahead in this climate.
    Remember some sports teams are selling renewable terms on PSL’s – so they grab cash in the future….
    It’s a quantum leap from knowing what a PSL is and speculating (in this case gossiping) that Katz will follow suit.
    Sorry man, not buying it.

    Seems that most other teams in North America are using PSL's illustrated by my links – what makes Katz any different….. really… PSL will not work if the team is in 8th or 9th place with a tired season ticket base supporting also rans…

  • Dennis

    Not really sure if MacT believes what he's saying or he's just using a loss as an excuse to crack the whip a little. That being said, 78's game has been lagging of late so even though I'm a fan I've got no problem with him getting a little smack and the same goes for 27-51. But in the terms of the results from the last two games, did the Oilers generate fewer chances vs the Preds than they did against the Wild?

    I highly doubt it.

    Anyone can be impressed with the 150 shots that 18 took but they were all from low-pct scoring areas and you'd have to take a whole lot of them before you see another instance like fri night where Backstrom lost his place in the net and left virtually the entire short-side open. So, that takes me back to my point. On Friday night Hemsky banks one in and Backstrom gives an awful goal to 18; at the other end Roli doesn't give up any stinkers and Hurray we win!

    Now on Sunday you have Rinne making a couple of wicked saves while Roli and Gilbert collaborate on the first goal and then Roli finishes it off by letting the shot go through him. But the Oilers lose and all of a sudden they're bad again?

    Sure, the team isn't consistent enough to ascend past the middle of the pack but there wasn't a big difference between how they played Fri and Sun outside of the 24 hit and fight. And if Roli's better than at least we get to OT.

    So I'm not so certain that macT lost it over this game as much as this is residual disappointment that finally bubbled over.

    Regarding anyone taking 27's contract, who gave him that contract? And who wrote about it in a negative light?

    Exactly.

  • Deans

    Deep Oil wrote:

    Would anyone listen to Dan T without the broadcast?

    I dont mind Tencer. He is a bit Vanilla but everyone knows he is severly handcuffed. It is also kind of fun trying to figure out his real feelings based on the ughs and pauses after a pissed off fan phones in. If he was allowed to have an actual opinion, who knows, maybe he'd be decent.

    I actually like how the Team doesnt broadcast the pressers. I think they often interupt the flow of a show. In the postmodern age, when everyone can access the post-game show on the internet, it's almost redudant to broadcast them on-air. Fans will listen/watch online while simultaneously listening to the post-game show.

  • Deep Oil

    Deans wrote:

    Deep Oil wrote:
    Would anyone listen to Dan T without the broadcast?
    I dont mind Tencer. He is a bit Vanilla but everyone knows he is severly handcuffed. It is also kind of fun trying to figure out his real feelings based on the ughs and pauses after a pissed off fan phones in. If he was allowed to have an actual opinion, who knows, maybe he’d be decent.
    I actually like how the Team doesnt broadcast the pressers. I think they often interupt the flow of a show. In the postmodern age, when everyone can access the post-game show on the internet, it’s almost redudant to broadcast them on-air. Fans will listen/watch online while simultaneously listening to the post-game show.

    In my opinion – the Oil covet the post game pressor still to Ched as the rightsholder – in the USA the rightsholder broadcasts the game with numerous radio
    stations (in hockey markets – not sunbelts) doing pre game and post game on site….. so in the end, the Oiler ARM extends their grasp.

  • Terry

    Suggested name change if I owned the team: The Edmonton Sphincter Cats. It would be more in keeping with their style of play and where their hearts and pride seem to be lodged. Kind of catchy, no?