We are one week away from the 2013 NHL Entry draft, and rumors are swirling around the Edmonton Oilers. One of the major trade assets–#7 overall in next Sunday’s draft–may be in play. The question right now is this: how much is that pick worth?
THE TOP OF THE DRAFT
A reasonable guess would see the top 4 spots go like this:
- #1 Colorado: C Nathan MacKinnon
- #2 Florida: D Seth Jones
- #3 Tampa Bay: L Jonathan Drouin
- #4 Nashville: C Sasha Barkov
After that, things get interesting. Assuming the Oilers covet C Sean Monahan in a big way, there may be a window of opportunity at #5. They could jump Calgary at #6 and make a move for Carolina’s pick. We should be aware of the possibility, but for our purposes let’s assume Edmonton stays silent and waits:
- #5 Carolina: C Elias Lindholm
- #6 Calgary: C Sean Monahan
At this point, Edmonton would have three choices, all of them worthy:
- select their top rated defenseman (Nurse or Ristolainen)
- select their top rated forward (Nichushkin or Lazar?)
- trade down if the value is there
WHY would they trade down? The Oilers may feel their player (my guess has always been Curtis Lazar) could be available later in round one. Let’s say they do in fact make a trade down to #13 and for doing so acquire Winnipeg’s 2nd round pick (#43).
- #7 Winnipeg (from Edmonton): D Darnell Nurse
- #8 Buffalo: D Rasmus Ristolainen
- #9 New Jersey: L Valeri Nichushkin
- #10 Dallas: L Hunter Shinkaruk
- #11 Philadelphia: D Nikita Zadorov
- #12 Phoenix: C Bo Horvat
Curtis Lazar. Oilers get an extra 2nd (which might allow them to combine it with #37 to deal back up into the first round) plus a player who may well be the name on their list at #7.
I think it could happen just that way.
After Josh Rimer sent that out there was an Interesting exchange this afternoon on twitter between Frankie Di Gioia and Darren Dreger. Di Gioia is a Toronto Red Wings AAA hockey coach and you know who Darren Dreger is:
I suspect Gagner signs in Edmonton and is part of the Oilers for years to come UNLESS the two sides can’t make the money work.
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
Whatever is going to happen, happens once the first 6 picks are off the board. That’s my guess.