While it is tough being an Oiler fan right now you could be living in Congo and be worried about your family jewels. Things could always be worse.
I could sit down and write another blog bemoaning the fortunes of the Oilers, but I elected to give Oilers fans a break from the season that many feel is becoming the most frustrating and disappointing of the past decade. I don’t think anyone predicted the Oilers to struggle this bad, but they have and the good news for Oiler fans is that 2013 is almost over.
We won’t focus on the fact the Oilers are 30-45-10 during the past 12 months with five games remaining before the calendar turns, and Oilers fan collectively pray that somehow 2014 will better, instead we will look at some humourous things and the few positives surrounding the Oilers.
Here is a compilation of some of the best reporter bloopers. It starts with my favourite You Tube video of all time. It doesn’t matter how many times I watch the Grape Lady, it always makes me laugh. Her seal impression kills me. The last clip is also very good. I give the guy credit for finishing the story.
Okay now that you are in a better mood, here a few positives surrounding the Oilers and their future.
- Taylor Hall continues to prove that he will be a dominant player for years to come. He is continually making progress in his own zone, but it is limiting his offensive production. He’s only 200 games into his NHL career, and the last 100 were better than the first 100. I expect his next 600+ games will even better.
- The Oilers freed up another contract spot by moving Linus Omark to Buffalo. Omark should get an opportunity to play in Buffalo because the Sabres can’t score. ~ Maybe this was the Oilers way of ensuring they get the first overall pick. Omark will go to Buffalo and ignite their offence and they will go on a long winning streak. ~
- The Oilers could use that open contract spot to sign Dillon Simpson when his NCAA season is over. If they don’t wan to lose Simpson, like the Ducks lost J.Schultz, they will need to sign him before June.
- Some Oilers draft picks are having very good seasons.
- Oscar Klefbom (20) continues to develop in OKC. The Oilers aren’t rushing him, and there is no need to. He barely played last season due to injury, and he’s getting used to the North American game in OKC. I don’t see any reason to expect him to play in Edmonton next season either. If he does, great, but I’d rather see them be patient with his development rather than rush him and see him struggle.
- Mitch Moroz (19) has 21-13-34 in 34 games. If you don’t produce in junior it is extremely rare that you’ll be a decent NHL forward. Moroz has been given more offensive opportunities this season and he’s taken advantage of them. He will need some seasoning in the AHL, but if he continues to improve his skating we could see him in Edmonton when the new arena opens.
- Darnell Nurse (18) is playing significant minutes for the first place Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds. I actually think him not making the World Juniors for Canada could be a positive for Nurse. It will motivate him to prove people wrong. He has 8-25-33 in 34 games, and his offensive game is developing nicely. Like any young D-man he still needs to work on his defensive zone coverage, but he’s a main reason the Greyhounds lead the OHL’s West Division as well as having the 4th best record in the league at 23-8-1-3.
- Greg Chase (18) has 19-18-37 in 33 games for the Calgary Hitmen. He’s equally as agitating as he is skilled, and he’s exactly the type of player the Oilers need down the road. It seems many of the good teams have a forward with a healthy combination of skill and pest.
SIMPLE, YET FUNNY
Penguins are awesome. It is hard not to smile or laugh watching that. I bet you watch it more than once. The sound from the penguin who did his best Strudwick-first-day-on-figure-skates impression makes it even more hilarious.
Every guy, and even girls, would feel like that body was such a waste…
The guy’s reaction at :49 seconds is something Wanye would do. Guaranteed. It is also hilarious how quickly each man’s demeanor changes when the second "kisser" comes along.
And we end with the Golf Shot of the year. This was at the Farmfood British Par 3 Championships. Unreal shot, and I love that they have a fence that close to the green. Classic.
DAY 16 MONTH OF GIVING…
Yesterday we raised another $3,100 to push our total $60,900. Outstanding.
Today’s Package is pretty awesome.
The Package includes an eight-course meal and includes all your wine and drinks. I will be there to pour your wine and hang up your coats, and you will be joined by some special guests. Stacey and Ryan Smyth as well as one other Oiler.
Bidding goes from 2 p.m. to 5:55 p.m today and you can call 780.444.1260 or text 101260 to bid.
Thanks in advance.