WE DID IT! Ryan Smyth was wearing the C! Well done, Nation! *standing ovation* Final Score: 5-2 Oilers
For 1270 games Ryan Smyth battled his way through the NHL and played with everything he had. Whether the team was battling for a playoff spot or finishing up another lottery season, you knew what you were going to get from #94 – hard work and an honest effort. Ol’ Smytty scored 386 goals and most of them were from within a few feet (read inches) of the goal line. He was one of those players that you couldn’t help but admire because of his work ethic, willingness to sacrifice, and ability to put the team first.
Ryan Smyth was the heart and soul of this franchise. Whether he was parking himself in front of the net or picking his teeth up off the ice in the playoffs, Smytty gave it his all. He was never the biggest or fastest guy on the ice, but you knew you could always count on him to get the job done, and for that I thank him. He will go down as one of the greatest Oilers ever, and I’ll miss him. We salute you, Smytty. Thanks for the memories. I couldn’t be happier that he ended his career as an Oilers captain. Thank you, Ryan Smyth.
Oh yeah, and the Oilers won. Cool!
Let’s wrap up it..
The Bright Side
- #SMYTTYFORCAPTAIN WORKED! Thank you to everyone that RTd and Tweeted for us!
- Shout out to Andrew Ference for passing along the ‘C’ to Smytty. He made a lot of fans tonight
- The fans showed Smytty all the love he deserves. It was awesome to see
- Ben Scrivens we speak your name!
- Canucks came out to pay respect to Ryan Smyth and I admire that
The Face Palmers
- My man tears prevented me from watching big chunks of the game
- Alex Edler and Ryan Kesler doing everything they can to maintain douche status
- Draft Whiners are upset with the win
Best of the Tweets
THANK YOU, SMYTTY!