The NHL draft is two weeks away, and Oiler fans have yet another lottery pick to ponder. Have you been reading up on it? Maybe running a You Tube video or two of past Oiler picks? Well, if you want a crash course on this year’s edition, read on.
2010 seems like years ago (I mean MANY years ago) and for Edmonton’s hockey fans the draft has turned into an all-too-familiar annual highlight. As a fan, I cannot wait for this team to draft 27th overall on merit. That day is at least one year away.
If you’re interested in purchasing a draft guide, I would highly recommend Red Line Report and Corey Pronman at ESPN. Both are well written and have strong opinions, and both are different enough to be worthwhile. Historically, I have found Red Line to be more in line with the Oilers thinking on these things, but that’s just my guess.
There are some outstanding sources available free of charge:
- Cody Nickolet, WHL From Above. This is an outstanding resource for WHL prospects, Cody has a final list and a Mock Draft. Well written, and he also gives a range of where he believes these prospects will land.
- Brock Otten, OHL Prospects. A terrific website that breaks down the best OHL kids, and that’s a long list. Brock’s evaluations are splendid and thorough, you’ll walk away from the site with a really good feel for the entire OHL crop this season.
- NHL.com has a nice spot where they collect stories and update things. I find it wise to spin through there every day or so for an update.
- Elite Prospects This is a great place to read more about the European kids, often you’ll get a very good bio from Future Considerations.
- USA Today They run Woodlief (Red Line Report) articles but also have Kevin Allen and others who update during this period.
- Kirk Luedeke, NY and NE Hockey Journal. Kirk does a wonderful job with USHL, college and eastern seaboard high school kids, and this is information that isn’t readily available. Helluva nice guy, too.
Beyond that, I would suggest Oilers Nation and the other Nation families do stellar work, Jason Gregor has interviewed Stu MacGregor and Kyle Woodlief in recent weeks. I’ve passed along some statistical breakdowns on the top players in the draft over the last few weeks, and will be adding to those beginning this weekend.
If you’re a fan of the draft, stay tuned! Fun days ahead!