WE’RE GOING STREAKING! Final Score: 3-2 Oilers.
I was fired up about tonight’s game. After Monday’s win against Tampa, I was ready to go on a winning streak. I want to throw on my Nation Hoodie tomorrow, and strut down Jasper Ave like a man with a 20 pound bulge. When the Oilers are winning, the city is a better place to be. I want to have that feeling again. I want to see a stranger in an Oilers jersey and give him a high five, because that’s how things are supposed to go in this city! Well, the Oilers won and I encourage you all to high five a stranger tomorrow.
When Ovechkin is in town, everyone had better be on notice. Before tonight’s game, Ovi had already popped in 5 goals this season, and the Oilers had to be aware of him. They had to come up with the same kind of defensive effort that they had on Monday night against Tampa Bay. Amazingly, they were able to shut him down. In fact, until the 3rd period, you didn’t even hear very much about Ovechkin at all. What the hell happened to this team? Shutting down the stars (Backstrom aside) is like a tongue kiss for my emotions. I’ve been so used to watching the Oilers give up goals that I’m not sure how to react anymore? It’s amazing!
Let’s wrap this up…
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The Canadian National anthem was awesome. Well done, Nation. Shout out to Sportsnet for showing it.
- I’m digging the salt and pepper look on Ovechkin.
- The 4th line was really good again. Over Internet high five for having a competent 4th (checking?) line.
- Draisaitl and Yakupov playing pass with each other on the Power Play. It was adorable and hilarious.
- Nikitin scored! Goal #1 for my goat. All the best to him, I hope he makes me look dumb for deeming him goat-worthy.
- Scrivens was solid when they needed him.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Nick Backstrom was able to hit a milestone against the Oilers. I refuse to acknowledge which one.
- What kind of paperwork do we need to fill out to have the Oilers moved to the Eastern Conference?
- Mike Green found a way out of 2009. Must have been a time machine.
- Glenn Healy said, in all seriousness, that he would be trade both Eberle and Yakupov to help the Oilers get better.
- The yellow spotlights they shine on the ice between plays.
- More like NOvechkin, am I right?
BEST OF THE TWEETS
It’s nice to watch the Oilers play actual NHL caliber hockey. It’s been a long time.
— Woodguy (@Woodguy55) October 23, 2014
That fight went pretty much the way you would expect a fight to go between guys named “Matt” and “Liam”
— Rob Tychkowski (@Sun_Tychkowski) October 23, 2014
— Adam (@AdamMc82) October 23, 2014
— Jeanshorts (@JSBMjeanshorts) October 23, 2014
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) October 23, 2014
— Allen Tan (@allentantann) October 23, 2014
@OilersNation This summer he added 15 pounds of muscle to his frame, and 200 foot pounds of torque to his cannon.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) October 23, 2014
— SoMintiefresh (@SoMintiefresh) October 23, 2014
@OilersNation I honestly would have preferred watching commercials for the entire entire intermission than listening the Healy and kypreos
— DJ Petrin (@DJlostgolfball) October 23, 2014
— Sara O’Neill (@Sarsinator) October 23, 2014
— David Shortt (@AdMan0828) October 23, 2014
— Travis Dakin (@TravisDakin) October 23, 2014
KLONDIKE CYCLE BEAT UP BAG CONTEST
I wanted to take a second to mention the contest that our friends at Klondike Cycle are putting on. What is the contest? I’ll tell you. All you have to do is tweet Klondike Cycle (@GoKlondikeCycle) a picture of your beat up hockey bag and you’ll be entered to win a new CCM Ribcore stick, and a new CCM hockey bag.
If you’ve got a p.o.s. for a hockey bag, be sure to grab your phone and tweet them a picture. The winner will be announced via Twitter on October 31st. Godspeed, Internet friends.