The Edmonton Oilers dipped into their farm system this week for help. Oscar Klefbom and Iiro Pakarinen were called up to the NHL (along with Keith Aulie), and men like Jordan Oesterle and Kale Kessy took advantage of extra playing time. In junior, Greg Chase had a tough week but Darnell Nurse and Marco Roy did some good things. Let’s have a look.
(Kale Kessy. All Barons’ photos by Rob Ferguson, all rights reserved)
AHL OKLAHOMA CITY BARONS
- Jason Williams 7GP, 5-4-9 (2GP, 1-1-2 this week)
- Iiro Pakarinen 7GP, 5-3-8 (1GP, 0-0-0 this week before NHL callup)
- Ryan Hamilton 7GP, 4-3-7(2GP, 2-0-2 this week)
- Andrew Miller 7GP, 2-5-7 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- Anton Lander 8GP, 2-5-7 (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- Oscar Klefbom 6GP, 1-6-7 (1GP, 0-1-1 this week before NHL callup)
- Tyler Pitlick 6GP, 1-5-6 (1GP, 0-0-0 and a concussion this week)
- Steve Pinizzotto 6GP, 0-5-5 (2GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- Jordan Oesterle 8GP, 3-1-4 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- Kale Kessy 7GP, 2-2-4 (2GP, 1-2-3 this week)
- Matt Ford 7GP, 1-3-4 (2GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- Martin Gernat 8GP, 0-3-3 (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- Curtis Hamilton 6GP, 1-1-2 (1GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- Bogdan Yakimov 6GP, 1-1-2 (Injured this week)
- Jujhar Khaira 7GP, 1-1-2 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- David Musil 6GP, 0-2-2 (2GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- Luke Gazdic 2GP, 1-0-1 (2GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- CJ Ludwig 3GP, 1-0-1 (1GP, 1-0-1 this week)
- Travis Ewanyk 7GP, 0-1-1 (2GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- Dillon Simpson 8GP, 1-0-1 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- Keith Aulie 8GP, 0-1-1 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week before callup)
- Martin Marincin 1GP, 1-0-1 (NHL this week)
- Richard Bachman 3GP, 2.62 .908 (2GP, 2.50 .912 this week)
- Frans Tuohimaa 3GP, 4.22, .904 (ECHL this week)
- Laurent Brossoit 2GP, 4.07 .867 (didn’t play this week)
A few notes on this group:
- Iiro Pakarinen, Keith Aulie and Oscar Klefbom received a recall to the NHL. I’m not sure how long Klefbom will stay with Ference eligible to return from suspension on Sunday. Edmonton may choose to keep him and send down Martin Marincin. I expect Keith Aulie stays in the NHL (depending on his performance tonight v. Buffalo).
- Iiro Pakarinen scored his first NHL goal last night and has impressed. It’ll be interesting to see how long he stays with the big club.
- Kale Kessy had a helluva week, getting three points and showing up in some good places.
- Luke Gazdic’s rehab is likely to end early next week and he’ll be back in the NHL.
- Bogdan Yakimov remains injured and was joined by Tyler Pitlick this week. It isn’t certain when they’ll return, although Pitlick may play on the weekend if the concussion symptoms are gone.
- Interesting to see Frans Tuohimaa receive the demotion to ECHL when Richard Bachman went to the farm from Edmonton. The Finn has outperformed Laurent Brossoit to this point in the year.
- Kyle Platzer, Owen Sound (OHL) 17GP, 6-16-22 (3GP, 0-3-3 this week)
- Jackson Houck, Vancouver (WHL) 14GP, 5-12-17 (1GP, 0-2-2 this week)
- Greg Chase, Calgary (WHL) 15GP, 2-13-15 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week before disconnect)
- Marco Roy, Quebec (QMJHL) 15GP, 7-7-14 (3GP, 3-1-4 this week)
- Darnell Nurse, SSM (OHL) 7GP, 2-6-8 (4GP, 1-3-4 this week)
- Ben Betker, Everett (WHL) 14 GP, 1-3-4 (2GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- Keven Bouchard Val d’Or (QMJHL) 11GP, 4.25 .861 (2GP, 3.11 .870 this week)
Marco Roy and Darnell Nurse had the best offensive performances this week, Nurse appears to be settling in after making his NHL debut last month. Greg Chase had a tough week and now must wait for the Calgary Hitmen to trade him (as per my item earlier this week) with the World Junior opportunity that appeared to be available to him possibly slipping away. Jackson Houck is having a nice season.
Vladimir Tkachev: 13GP, 4-12-16 with Moncton (QMJHL). He went 3GP, 0-1-1 this week.
- Evan Campbell UMass-Lowell (NCAA) 8GP, 3-7-10 (3GP, 1-3-4 this week)
- Joey Laleggia, Denver (NCAA) 6GP, 3-1-4 (2GP, 2-1-3 this week)
- Aidan Muir, Western Michigan (NCAA) 5GP, 0-2-2 (Didn’t play this week)
- Tyler Vesel, Nebraska at Omaha (NCAA) 7GP, 1-2-3 (3GP, 1-2-3 this week)
- Zach Nagelvoort Michigan (NCAA) 5GP, 3.68 .889 (2GP, 2.58 .912 this week)
- John McCarron, Cornell (NCAA) 3GP, 0-1-1 (3GP, 0-1-1 this week)
- Liam Coughlin, Vernon 16GP, 6-5-11 (3GP, 2-1-3 this week)
- William Lagesson, Dubuque 11GP, 1-7-8 (3GP, 1-2-3 this week)
Some encouraging things about the NCAA group, with William Lagesson doing something every week to impress (he scores the final goal in the video above). I also think it’s work noting that Evan Campbell is posting some fine offense and that Zach Nagelvoort has been much better the last two weeks.
Joey Laleggia is a player to follow this season. He’s always been a quality offensive defender, the question is can he play defense? Some reports have him taking a step forward in this area.
- Roman Horak, Vityaz Podolsk (KHL) 23GP, 12-6-18 (2GP, 2-0-2 this week)
- Anton Slepyshev, Salavat Yulaev (KHL) 25GP, 3-4-7 (1GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- Antti Tyrvainen, Ilves (SML) 14GP, 4-1-5 (1GP, 0-0-0 this week)
- Daniil Zharkov Torpedo (VHL) 8GP, 1-1-2
Not much shaking this week beyond Horak, and Slepyshev was scratched this week. In terms of prospects playing in Europe, those two men are basically it. Zharkov played 6 KHL games early in the season, but is now in the VHL and appears to be drifting as a prospect.