If only the Oilers had known what time the game started at. Final Score: 3-2 Predators.
The last time the Oilers played the Predators, they basically got their show run. The Predators dominated almost every aspect of their last meeting, and if the Oilers were going to close out this road trip with a win, they were going to have to come up with a better effort. Unfortunately, that’s not what happened… kind of. Right off the bat, the Oilers found themselves in a 2-goal-hole no more than 10 minutes into the first period. Needless to say, playing catch up against Nashville is not a very good game plan.
The most frustrating thing about the Oilers is that they’ll play a really solid game, like they did against the Rangers, then drop a fresh turd on the ice the very next game. I’ve never seen a team with so much Jekyll and Hyde in their game. Not even Sigmund funkin Freud himself would be able to figure out what’s going on around here. Then again, the Oilers also looked like a team on the back end of a road trip. Is being tired an excuse for showing up a period late? No, absolutely not.
The sad part is that the Oilers ended up playing fairly well for the final 40 minutes. Unfortunately, they dug themselves a hole that they couldn’t get out of. To be honest, I would have even bet on a blowout for Nashville in the first intermission. Again, the Oilers will be able to take some positives out of the last 2 periods of this game. Unfortunately, moral victories don’t count for squat in the standings.
Let us wrap.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- The Oilers jerseys are much better than the Predators jerseys.
- The Oilers lost in front of very few people. I’m pretty sure it was empty seat night in Nashville.
- Nikitin has done an excellent job of earning my goat nomination.
- Benoit Pouliot seems to be turning it up, and the offence is welcomed.
- Yakupov is finally rewarded for his play. I’m expecting goals to come in bunches for Nail, and I base that on absolutely nothing. Great play by Perron to set Yak up.
- Much better 2nd and 3rd period. Although, that’s not saying much. The first period played like a dumpster fire.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Awful start by the Oilers. They did not seem ready to play at all.
- Justin Schultz could have been wearing a dunce cap on the first Nashville goal. Norris candidate indeed.
- Geography prohibits the Oilers from playing in the Eastern Conference.
- Not a great night for Viktor Fasth. I wouldn’t say all 3 of those goals were his fault, but they weren’t exactly unstoppable either. Scrivens was much better in relief.
- Slow start killed what could have been a solid road game. It’s a shame, really.
- Yakupov went down the tunnel early. It could be nothing, but it could be bad news. It looked like Perron may have stepped on his arm when they were against the boards in the a scrum. ***UPDATE*** Yakupov had to get a couple of stitches and will be okay, as per Dallas Eakins.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— the Mangiant (@mngnt) November 12, 2014
— Stu The Penguin (@StuThePenguin) November 12, 2014
@OilersNation Rinne of the Pekka is an epidemic in Finnish college dorms.
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) November 12, 2014
@OilersNation about the same as saying one prostate exam was better than another ?
— Where Is Wanye?? (@ford2nv) November 12, 2014
— Dave Caswell (@DaveCaswell) November 12, 2014
Good thing about Hall being injured on this trip is he doesn’t get to spend time in these cities seeing how awesome it’d be to play there.
— Travis Dakin (@TravisDakin) November 12, 2014
— Kris (@_AGuyNamedKris) November 12, 2014
Yak’s hairs/square inch leads the NHL. Thick and luxurious.
— Woodguy (@Woodguy55) November 12, 2014
— Rey Javier (@unbeREYvable) November 12, 2014
THE PHOTO CONTEST
Last week, I posted details for the November picture contest. Surprisingly, there aren’t that many pictures coming in yet. What am I saying? If you enter this thing, your odds of winning something is very good right now. Granted, people have all of November to enter – maybe I’m just impatient.
What is the picture contest? I’m just looking for you guys to get creative and take pictures of yourselves in NationGear, Oilers Gear, or doing something hilarious that shows you’re an Oilers fan. At the end of the month, we’ll take the 5 best pictures, and put them up for a vote. The winners will be showered with Internet glory and prizes.
If you have a picture you’d like to enter, email it to me at firstname.lastname@example.org. Happy hunting, Nation, and Godspeed.