What the hell just happened? Final Score: 5-2 Oilers.
Why do they have to keep scheduling the World Juniors games at the same time as the Oilers game? Why? Is it because the hockey gods don’t want me to enjoy nice things? The Canada game was a lot tighter than I think most people expected, and the Oilers game looked to be a few gears slower in terms of pace. What is a blogger to do? (Watch the Canada game, naturally). McDavid looked good, and the Canadians are moving on to the gold medal game. Well done, boys. We salute you!
As for the Oilers game, this thing went surprisingly well. At this point, I don’t know if I’m actually seeing the Oilers drive to the net, or if I’ve unknowingly taken some kind of hallucinogen. It’s not only that, the Oilers are actually shooting the puck on the power play. What have you done to this team, Todd Nelson? What have you done? Whatever it is, the Oilers seem to be resurrecting ELPH (Exciting Last Place Hockey) and that’s something I can get behind! Although the result is the same (losing), the games are in the very least entertaining. At this point in the season, that’s a small victory I’m willing to take.
Well…the Oilers didn’t seem to care about ELPH, because they went out and crushed the Islanders with an inspired effort. That’s points in 4 straight games under Todd Nelson. Back to ELPH: despite the win, the Hurricanes also won their game (2-1 over Boston) so the Oilers remain in 30th place. I can’t imagine they’ll stick in the basement long if they keep playing games like this, and getting the kind of goaltending that Scrivens has been giving them lately. I’m not sure how to feel just now about it. I love wins, but I also love winning the draft lottery. Such is life as an Oilers fan.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Matt Hendricks scored his 4th and 5th goals of the season.
- Nice assist on the play by Rob Klinkhammer on Hendricks’ first goal. Happy to see a new guy able to contribute right away.
- I love Johnny Boychuk. Unfortunately, he plays (and scored) for the wrong team.
- Todd Nelson has the Oilers going to the net. Finally! I just don’t understand how that wasn’t part of the plan before?
- Derek Roy scored his first goal as an Oiler. Another new guy contributing.
- Matt Fraser with a beauty release for his 2nd goal as an Oiler.
- The Hall-Nugey-Eberle line was solid all night. They were creating chances, and cycling the puck well.
- Ben Scrivens was solid tonight. He finished the game by stopping 31 of 33 shots and winding up with a .939 save%. Scrivens is giving the Oilers a chance to win, and that’s all you can ask of him.
THE FACE PALMERS
- David Perron scored last night. The goal was assisted by Sidney Crosby. Colour me unsurprised.
- Until the last few minutes of the 1st period, there was absolutely nothing going on. There was 8 shots total, at the 16 minute mark. It was a snoozefest until Matt Hendricks scored. 1 goal on 5 shots in the first period.
- Derek Roy and Teddy Purcell turned a 2 on 0 into zero shots on goal. They passed the puck to each other 400 times, but they didn’t shoot. Well done.
- Nail Yakupov was averaging about 4 minutes of ice time per period. I bet he flourishes wherever the Oilers move him to. I also assume the return will be underwhelming.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
Just switched from the WJC game to the Oilers game and I thought my TV went into slow motion but it claims to be normal speed @OilersNation
— Justen Dmytriw (@Jussi_31) January 5, 2015
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) January 5, 2015
@OilersNation I’m takin my talents to no beach!
— Jake DesRoches (@Baresnake) January 5, 2015
— Bob McDonald (@bobbymac_24) January 5, 2015
— Steven Schapansky (@Legopolis) January 5, 2015
@OilersNation soon he’ll start drinking coffee instead of chocolate milk?
— The Iron-E (@vote4p3dr0) January 5, 2015
It’s only been four games since he went solo behind the Oilers bench, but Todd Nelson is making an outstanding case for himself so far.
— Rob Tychkowski (@Sun_Tychkowski) January 5, 2015
LRT: Coach gets NHL goaltending, looks good. News at 11.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) January 5, 2015
— RC (@Riotsedge) January 5, 2015
Solid win by the Oil tonight…WHAT IS HAPPENING?!? @OilersNation
— Laura Chinery (@Hatshep12) January 5, 2015
THE JANUARY CONTEST IS COMING
As you know, we like to give away Wanye’s stuff around here when he’s not around. As such, I have just figured out what we’ll be doing for the January contest. All I’ll say, for now, is that you’d better find a program to make memes. Stay tuned to the Nation for the theme of the contest, the rules, and the prizes.