That was uglier than the scoreboard says it was. Final Score: 2-0 Penguins.
When Sidney Crosby and Gino Malkin are lining up against any of our centres, I wonder what’s going through their minds? How the hell did Pittsburgh ever get lucky enough to score TWO of these guys? Remember, Malkin wasn’t even the big prize of his draft year, Ovechkin was. The Oilers picked first overall 3 times in a row and are still waiting for that level of dominance (Taylor Hall aside… sometimes).
For tonight’s game, the Oilers were going to have to pay Bono levels of special attention to minimizing their turnovers if they had any chance at winning. They were able to do that, but only because they never had the puck. The only reason the score was close as is it was is because Viktor Fasth stood on his head. The Penguins were able to pin the Oilers for prolonged periods of time, but Fasth stood tall.
At the end of the night, the only thing that was really left to cheer for was for the Oilers to break the shutout and they couldn’t do it. There wasn’t going to be another comeback tonight. It was obvious from the fact that the Oilers didn’t get their first scoring chance until mid way through the second period. Not to mention, having both Taylor Hall and Benoit Pouliot out of the lineup is never going to help. Viktor Fasth’s play aside, the only real bright side to really draw from this game is that the Oilers are another step closer to the draft… and we get to talk about Little Buttcheeks again.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Derek Roy always seems to produce a few scoring chances since he’s been here.
- The only reason this game didn’t get completely blown out was Viktor Fasth. He finished with 24 saves and a .923 save%. He’s getting the majority of the starts right now, and he seems to want to keep it that way. If Fasth keeps playing this well, he may actually wind up as a trade chip at the deadline. Fasth is a UFA at the end of the season so bringing anything in for him would be a win.
- Jeff Petry has to be raising his trade value with the way he’s playing. Personally, I would prefer that he stayed here but that’s not looking like it’s going to happen. Oh well, another magic bean will do I suppose.
- The game ended early and we all have time to do happier things before bed! It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia? Don’t mind if I do.
THE FACE PALMERS
- Not having either Taylor Hall or Benoit Pouliot on the lineup hurts. They’re both listed as day to day, but who knows. There’s no point of rushing them back into the lineup at this point.
- Sidney Crosby doesn’t come to Edmonton enough. Regardless of what you think of him, he’s an amazing player to watch and it sucks that we rarely get to watch him play. As a fan of hockey, I like to see what the best guys can do and he’s one of them. Almost shockingly, the Oilers were able to keep him in check aside from a few rushes here and there.
- It annoyed me to see David Perron as a Penguin. The Oilers have needed a skilled player that was willing to annoy the other team for years. They had one in DP, but I guess magic beans are better. No offence to Rob Klinkhammer, I like him a lot, but he can’t put up offence like DP. Oh, and I forgot to mention that he scored too, because of course he did.
- The Oilers made way too many turnovers against a team that could have made them pay more than they did. Luckily for the Oilers, Viktor Fasth played well and was able to bail them out.
- Marc-Andre Fleury got a shutout, and you could see his stupid grin through his mask… yeah, I’m bitter.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
@OilersNation when seen at the bar, I’ll react like I did last time: uncontrollable sobbing and begging for a second chance.
— Jeeper Jay (@Ghurshaga) February 5, 2015
@OilersNation I just asked for the oilers game at a bar in Montreal, bartender responded with “are you sure you want to watch that?” Ouch
— Dylan (@drfnsuperstar) February 5, 2015
@OilersNation Any chance Perron or Arco will forget which team they play for? Not saying things will be different… Still give puck to Pens
— Aaron Bridge (@AD_Bridge) February 5, 2015
— Con-Air McDavid (@Winchester7Gold) February 5, 2015
— Religious Bacon (@Edmonton_rookie) February 5, 2015
If he keeps this up, Viktor Fasth is going to get himself traded.
— Lowetide (@Lowetide_) February 5, 2015
@OilersNation Being on the receiving end of a DP is not so much fun
— James Emerson (@jamesemerson37) February 5, 2015
— Derek (@YarbeeZy) February 5, 2015
Nobody pines for the old buildings when they see concourses jammed up like this: pic.twitter.com/5WqAn0vPgw
— Dejan Kovacevic (@Dejan_Kovacevic) February 5, 2015
Eakins tried to Kennel train him for a year and a half but his new owner lets him sleep at the foot of the bed #YakPuppy
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) February 5, 2015
— Taylor S (@phreebassist) February 5, 2015
@OilersNation Your move, Buffalo
— David Smitten (@DavidSmitten) February 5, 2015
Do you want to look as handsome as Wanye? Of course you do. That’s why you should hold off from looking at porn for a few minutes to check out the new designs in the NationGear store. Who knows, it might even get you laid! Actually, who are we kidding, it will DEFINITELY get you laid. Any lack of getting laid complaints can be directed at Jeanshorts. Thank you.