Laurent Brossoit will sleep well tonight. Final Score: 3-1 Sharks.
Tonight’s game felt weird to me. For the first time in months we were actually able to fully cheer for a win! Now that the Oilers are locked in 28th place regardless of how anyone else does means we can be happy about winning and sad about losing. We can’t gain anymore points in the McDavid race. We’re out of the sweepstakes barring a miracle draft lottery steal. We need a ringer. Frankly, if the Oilers aren’t scouring the earth for Steve Tambellini so they can try to win our version of the Stanley Cup they’re just not trying hard enough. I want to see Tambo’s cheshire grin as the Oilers rob the NHL of another first overall pick.
Tonight’s game was a good test for the Barons. It was also important for management to see where we are at as a farm team – that’s a valuable lesson going into the summer. It’s always important to have a look at the youth in your organization and how they’re developing. For the Barons, you can’t say enough about how well they stuck in there with an NHL team like the Sharks. For a goalie that had never played a game against NHL competition, Laurent Brossoit stood on his head and gave his teammates a chance. For a guy that was making his NHL debut, Brossoit looked calm and confident in the net. If not for him, the Oilers would have been out of it in the first period.
Unfortunately, the last home game of the season ended the same way so many had before it – with a loss. If not for Brossoit this game would have gotten out of hand. I’m not sure how anyone could be surprised that the Sharks outplayed the Oilers. When you look at the roster you see more Barons than you do NHL regulars so the fact that this game was so close is impressive. It’s a kudos to the night Brossoit had, and it’s a hat tip to the job Todd Nelson is doing with the pieces he’s got to play with. Unfortunately, good efforts don’t help us get back to where we need to be, and tonight closed out another sub-20 win season at Rexall.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- I miss seeing the home team wear the light jersey colours.
- There’s only one more game left until the Oilers playoff season starts. Bring on the draft lottery.
- Yak’s 13th goal of the year was hilarious. Normally those kind of giveaways go against the Oilers rather than for them.
- As far as NHL debuts go Laurent Brossoit’s ranks up there with the best. He deserved better than a loss for the effort he put in tonight. In his first NHL game, Laurent Brossoit finished with 49 saves and a .961 save%. The 49 save NHL debut is an NHL record, and that’s something he should be very proud of.
- Taylor Fedun didn’t score despite being a former Oiler with a great story. I was sure that he was due for a pair against his former team.
- At least Calgary can’t get McDavid? *sigh*
THE FACE PALMERS
- I miss NUUUUUUUGE!
- What Laurent Brossoit did for the Oilers was amazing, but this baptism by fire thing isn’t really a great idea in the long.
- I’m convinced that Brossoit would have pulled out the shutout had he not been Jultz’d. The Bryan Lerg goal was just a biproduct of the Jultzing disappointment.
- Bryan Lerg scored his first NHL goal tonight. Against the Oilers. Surprised? I didn’t think so.
- The Oilers were outshot 52-27 tonight. That’s ugly. Management is lucky that a shelling like that didn’t shatter Brossoit’s confidence heading into the OKC playoffs.
- Jeff Petry is playing more minutes in Montreal, and just extended his point streak to six games tonight. Nice job evaluating talent, MacT.
- Calgary made the playoffs tonight. Real. Funkin. Great.
- I can’t help but wonder what kind of cool stuff Dallas Eakins is doing with the Oilers cheques he’s getting? He’s got all the time in the world and a guaranteed income for the next two years. He could be on the world’s greatest staycation and we’d never know about it. I want to know about it.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
@OilersNation because the Oilers were winning a lot more?
— Tyson Lenz (@Tyson_Lenz) April 10, 2015
“Lance Pitlick” count: 2
— Mary L (@mdl507) April 10, 2015
@OilersNation keegan 2 fights in nhl debut, K lowe first fight in oilers history, I think we found our next gm once lowe retires
— Pinder Dhindsa (@PDhindsa) April 10, 2015
How sad is Iggy right now
— stace_offlams (@stace_ofbase) April 10, 2015
I love Nuge and Marincin but if Yak needs a Kidney I will get tested to see if I’m a match.
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) April 10, 2015
What if we moved the Oilers to Atlanta for a couple years?
— Andrew Leach (@andrew_leach) April 10, 2015
@OilersNation here’s the bright side to that last goal. Lerg’s mom is right in front of me crying. She saw his first goal in his first game
— Gibby Davis (@gibbydavis) April 10, 2015
— $)))) ✌⚡ (@OilersCoffey) April 10, 2015
THE NATIONDRAFTS PLAYOFF POOL
The NHL playoffs are back, baby! That means we can stop arguing about Corsi and start arguing about which squadron (Oilers excluded as always) will be walking away with Lord Stanley’s Cup come June! Since you know who is going to win, we wanted to give you a chance to flex that mighty hockey IQ. You DO know about hockey, right? You wouldn’t just make that up, would you? Well, the coming playoffs also mean a brand new edition of the NationDrafts playoff pool! Sign up today at www.nationdrafts.com for your shot at prizes, glory, and to help us raise money for Earth Group.