This is the end. Final Score: 6-5 Canucks in OT
Tonight’s game being the last of the season brought both relief and disappointment. This year wasn’t supposed to be as bad as last year (or the seven years before that), this year was supposed to be different. Well, the Oilers set a new franchise record for fewest wins in a season with 24. Think about that. A franchise record! If last year was a “debacle” then what does MacT make of this? I’ve decided to stop thinking that the Oilers will be better next year. It’s better for my psyche. I’m also going to start thinking of the playoffs in the same way as I think of the Sasquatch – I’ll believe it when I see it.
As far as last games in a meaningless season go, tonight’s match was actually pretty entertaining. I mean, if the Oilers had anything to play for this game would have been insanely stressful, but they don’t so it was fun to watch the tires burn. Goaltending and defence seemed to be optional for both sides so that always adds to the fun. That’s not exactly unexpected for an Oilers game, but the Canucks are going to have to tighten it up if they plan on doing anything in the playoffs. Actually, I’d prefer if they keep playing loose and start booking tees times as soon as possible. For the Oilers, it’s hard to imagine that the majority of this team will be back next year. Although, MacT’s “they’re playing better” schtick in the first intermission didn’t make me feel much better that anything is going to change..
At the end of the day, I have mixed feelings about tonight being the last game of the season. As much as it’s tiresome to bitch about the Oilers every couple days I’m still going to miss them for the next six months. Like a junkie needs a fix, I too will need my Oilers. Even though my enthusiasm and expectations for making the playoffs is at an all time low, I’ll still be here watching the games when October rolls around again. The Oilers may be the NHL’s yearly losers, but at least they’re our losers. The moral beatings that come with being an Oilers fan can’t continue forever can they?
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Love seeing Yakupov finish off the season strong. He hammered home his 14th goal of the year on a nifty little pass from Derek Roy. Those two have had great chemistry since Roy came over from Nashville, and I’m wondering when/if the Oilers are going to get him re-signed. Elliotte Friedman said that they’re trying to sign him during the first intermission, so we’ll see what happens.
- Jordan Eberle scored his 24th goal of the year only nine seconds after Yak opened the scoring.
- Taylor Hall scored (his 14th) on a set play off the faceoff. When was the last time you saw something like that actually work? Beautiful pass by Benoit Pouliot to create the tap in for Hall. I’m looking for Taylor Hall to have a much better year next year. He was the highest scoring left winger for a reason, and I would expect him to get back to form next year. Trading Taylor Hall is not the answer, people.
- Pou Bear has been one of the bright spots in another gross season. He added to his career high by scoring his 19th goal of the season in the 2nd period. Hopefully he’ll be able to stay healthy all of next season and build on what he started this year.
- Oscar Klefbom has been a positive since his recall earlier in the season. Who knows what his ceiling is, but he’s developing into a solid defenceman. I hope the Oilers won’t force him to play top 2 minutes again next year, but I won’t hold my breath.
- The season is over! Now comes time for the only playoff season Oilers fans have known in the past decade – lottery season.
THE FACE PALMERS
- It bares repeating that the Oiler set a franchise record for fewest wins in a season with 24. This is literally rock bottom for the Edmonton Oilers franchise.
- It was fitting that the Oilers coughed up a third period lead to have the Canucks win in overtime. It was that kind of year and the season couldn’t have ended any other way.
- Ryan Miller is 12-0 against the Oilers coming into tonight’s game. That’s ridiculous. How have they not accidentally beaten him at some point?
- Pittsburgh made the playoffs tonight because Boston and Buffalo are both useless. So much for my pipe dream of drafting 1st and 4th. #SadPanda
- Are people still paying attention to the green men? I didn’t think so either.
- That was not a great night for Ben Scrivens (it was brutal). He was fighting the puck all night and let a few pucks go through the five hole. He finished with 17 saves and a .739 save%.
- The Oilers have used 43 different players this season. That is an alarming amount of turnover. Teddy Purcell was the only player to play all 82 games on the year (Yak and Eberle played 81)
- I’m going to table a rule for next season that calls for some kind of rotating playoff team type scenario. If you’ve missed the playoffs for 5+ years you’re automatically included in the next round out of pity for the fan base. I think it’s a good idea. I think it could work.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
The annual oilers crusade of hope is well underway! This team is one or two players away from a cup! @OilersNation
— Brayden Kijewski (@BraydenKijewski) April 12, 2015
@OilersNation Boooo baggedmilk. I hope you’re Gene in the face over that pun.
— Weakling Brewing (@WeaklingBrewing) April 12, 2015
It’s party time in Vancouver! pic.twitter.com/gfIyBn4L6q
— Jeanshorts (@JSBMjeanshorts) April 12, 2015
— Jay Cunningham (@JayJCunningham) April 12, 2015
“I can’t wait for this to be over.” – Oiler fans now
“Is it October yet?” – Oiler fans at 12:01 AM
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) April 12, 2015
Thanks for another season of hilarity, Twitter people. It was another year of having Twitter be way more entertaining than most of the games, and your lame jokes make my job way easier – especially during the pummellings (and there were many).
THE NATIONDRAFTS PLAYOFF POOL
The NHL playoffs are back (I mean, not for us but you know)! That means we can stop arguing about Corsi and start arguing about which squadron (Oilers excluded as always) will be walking away with Lord Stanley’s Cup come June! Since you know who is going to win, we wanted to give you a chance to flex that mighty hockey IQ. You DO know about hockey, right? You wouldn’t just make that up, would you? Well, the coming playoffs also mean a brand new edition of the NationDrafts playoff pool! Sign up today at www.nationdrafts.com for your shot at prizes, glory, and to help us raise money for Earth Group.