I’m taking over the Wrap Up tonight because it’s Jeanshorts’
birthday and Baggedmilk is helping him celebrate at The Pint. I’m not saying it’s
an unofficial OilersNation party and things will get out of control but any time 2 or more Nation employees are in
a bar together we have to notify the Fire Department. It’s a Bylaw. Thanks, Iveson
The Oilers came into this game falling all over themselves
against Division rivals. The worst of it is that it has been mental errors
undoing them for the most part. So would the Oilers be able to get the job done
against a terrible Coyotes team that somehow bumbled their way to 2nd
in the Pacific Division?
Hells yes they do! But it wasn’t all pretty along the way.
Darnell Nurse is the future of the defense (along with
Klefbom) but he’s an NHL rookie. That means there is going to be a learning
curve. For all of his talent, and it’s incredible, he is still learning his
position at the NHL level. I have no doubt in my mind that he’ll be a great
player for the Oilers. I mean that. However, right now he’s a trainee taking on
a massive role with his club. For every great rush up the ice there are going
to be two head scratchers in his own end.
On the first goal Nurse was in front of the net and the puck
came from the corner. He failed to break up the pass or tie up the man. He was
basically just standing there. On the second goal he blocked a shot directly in
front of the goaltender and he couldn’t get back up into position when the puck
moved to a Coyote. If he had let the original shot go through to the goalie
Talbot might have smothered it up to end the danger.
Those are just errors of inexperience. They’re going to
happen to every NHL rookie blueliner and Nurse is playing more than any other
Rookie D in the league.
The other big feature of this game were the unbelievably
sick mitts of Jordan Eberle. It is magical how quickly Saskatchewan’s favourite
son can raise the puck. On both of his goals tonight he showed the kind of
ability that made him an NHL All-Star in the past. He and RNH have been
challenged by some of the media guys as being soft, but they can be on my team
any day of the week playing the way they did this afternoon.
Lastly, we need to talk about how strong Leon Draisaitl is
on the puck. He showed everything that made him the 3rd Overall pick
in tonight’s game. He was fast, strong, creative, and showed awareness at top speed
that most players don’t have at three quarter speed. The future is bright for
the big German.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Did you guys see McDavid practicing?
- Klinkhammer got back in the lineup after a long
Hall and Draisaitl still got it! Always slick
passing from Leon.
WE SCORED A POWER PLAY GOAL. FOR REALSIES.
Khaira walked into a scrum in front of the net
and all the Coyotes became Bambis.
- That Eberle snipe on the PP was vintage Jordan Eberle.
- Louie DeBrusk is the best between period analyst
on Oiler telecasts. I’ve always liked his energy and he honestly sees some good
things and adds a player’s perspective.
- Taylor Hall might be fast. I’m not sure because
my TV had trouble picking him up.
Khaira is much more assertive physically this
year than I’ve ever seen him at any level
- Steve Downie is still not a bright guy. Took a
dumb penalty for unsportsmanlike after chirping a Ref.
- Hunt isn’t just good at shooting on the PP. He
can move the puck very well.
- Hall took over 4th in NHL scoring.
- HOLY SICK MITTS BY EBERLE ON THE 3RD GOAL!
- RNH skating at top speed in OT is a thing of
- The Oilers dominated 3v3
- PARALYZER!!! Hendricks has skillz
- Nuge gets 30 extra minutes of PS4 tonight for
that Shootout goal!
- OILERS WIN! OILERS WIN!
- Seriously, did you see McDavid practicing?
THE FACE PALMERS
- That dummy Arch is doing the Wrap Up
- Tobias Rieder seems to be doing better than Kale Kessy, but
I still have hope.
- Nurse failed to cover Downie on the 1st goal.
That was a rookie play.
- Pouliot’s two 1st Period penalties. Woof.
Although the 2nd was pretty weak.
- The Sportsnet Panel still not convinced Taylor Hall is in
the upper echelon of stars.
- Hall, top 10 in NHL scoring in 3 of last 4 years apparently needs
to be more consistent.
- A Vancouver Canuck is to blame for Canada not advancing at
the WJC. Classic Vancouver.
- The 4th line got caught out for the 2nd goal and
it was a complete collapse.
- Nurse once again was caught making an awkward play on that
- Shane Doan, nicest player in the NHL…
- Refs missed a nasty elbow to Draisaitl that was obvious
- That Duclair goal was siiiiiick. Too bad it was for the bad guys.
- The Davidson pinch that lead to that 2v1 was not the thing
to do with Arizona’s best weapons on the ice
- The Coyotes are 16-0-3 in their last 19 games against
Edmonton. What. The. Hell?
- Justin Schultz blowing that chance in OT from Hall and
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— The Big Teejbowski (@TJrocks33) January 2, 2016
Pouliot’s resolution to stop taking offensive zone penalties dies an early death.
— Rob Tychkowski (@Sun_Tychkowski) January 2, 2016
@Archaeologuy can you write something about that mopping guy between periods.
— Havana. (@MesaMoe) January 2, 2016
22 games without a goal? And he’s playing the Oilers? And he scored? pic.twitter.com/41lBQA2bfZ
— Cory Dakin (@Corydakin) January 2, 2016
I literally swear 700% more when I watch oilers play.
— robbie (@rthorg) January 2, 2016
Hall gives the checking line a lesson in how to cover for a pinching defenceman. #sigh
— Bruce McMcCurdy (@BruceMcCurdy) January 2, 2016
JORDAN SCORING FOR ME ON MY BIRTHDAY!!!
— Jeanshorts (@JSBMjeanshorts) January 2, 2016
Eberle made them think he was inured but then all of a sudden pic.twitter.com/SrqLdkSfng
— Ryan McByks (@IAmByks) January 2, 2016
Can we just talk about how strong on the puck Draisaitl is please?!
— JD (@JackieDee16) January 2, 2016
HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JEAN
Hey, It’s Jeanshorts’ birthday. It’s only fitting that we
end this off with a tribute to a guy who’s taller than you think he is and now
older than we ever thought he’d be. Happy Birthday, Jeanshorts. I hope you liked
that book I got you last year.