Yohann Auvitu is from Ivry-sur-Seine, France. He plays in the National Hockey League and is a free agent this summer. I noticed him a few times during his 25 games as a rookie in 2016-17 (2-2-4) and wonder if there’s a player there. His bio at The Hockey News tells us he’s an impressive puck mover and passer, with size and defensive coverage areas to improve. He battled injuries and also played in the AHL (29gp, 5-8-13) during the year.
YOHANN AUVITU PLAYER CARD
- 5×5 points per 60: 0.54 (5th among regular defensemen)
- 5×4 points per 60: 1.19 (one point in 50 minutes)
- Corsi for 5×5 %: 49.8
- Corsi Rel 5×5 %: 3.1
- DFF Elite 5×5 %: 49.5
- DFF Elite Rel 5×5 %: 1.1 (20 percent of TOI v. elites)
- Shots on goal/percentage: 54 shots/3.7%
- Boxcars: 25gp, 2-2-4
- (All numbers via Stats.HockeyAnalysis.com and hockey-reference)
- Special thanks to GMoney and Woodguy for sharing the DFF’s
- 2016-17 Salary: $792,500
The possession numbers are good, much better than the scouting report at THN implies. Remember this is a rookie, although 27 years old. The offense isn’t massive but again, rookie, didn’t get a lot of playing time.
- Frank Seravalli, TSN: Auvitu (pronounced oh-vee-too) earned a bachelor’s degree in international business while he climbed the hockey ranks in Finland, from junior to second tier to the Finnish Elite League. Source
Huh. Big brain! Good to know. As of today, as Edmonton signed Eric Gryba, the team has 40 names on the 50-man list and 36 of those names will be playing in North America. An NHL club contains 23 names plus injuries, so we’ll likely see some mid-level contracts signed and at least one defender added to the current group.
OILERS CURRENT DEFENSIVE DEPTH CHART
- Oscar Klefbom
- Adam Larsson
- Andrej Sekera (IR)
- Kris Russell
- Darnell Nurse
- Matt Benning
- Eric Gryba
- Mark Fayne (first recall?)
- Dillon Simpson
- Ben Betker
- Caleb Jones
- Ethan Bear
- Ziyat Paigin
- Ryan Mantha
I think the Oilers need another player in the middle portion of this depth chart (actually I think they need more than that, but we’ll leave it for another conversation). The club doesn’t have enough coin to go after Kevin Shattenkirk and with Andrej Sekera coming back mid-season may not be able to coerce someone like Cody Franson into signing a one-year deal. What about Yohann Auvitu?
Huh. Yohann Auvitu. International business. Left defense. It’s just crazy enough to work!
NATION NIGHT AT THE BALLPARK
On Thursday night (June 29th), we’re hosting our first Nation Night at the Ballpark as the Edmonton Prospects take on the Weyburn Beavers. As you’d expect, we’ll have some prizes to give away and stickers for the kids (big or small) so clear your calendar and plan to be at RE/MAX Field on Thursday night. Tickets are available here.