THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Early in the second period, @Zack Kassian tied the game (1-1) near the side of the net after McDavid found him with a quick pass as he was burning around the net on what I thought was going to be a wrap-around.
- @Connor McDavid pulled the Oilers back to within one (3-2) on the power play after a beautiful move in front of quick that saw him nearly lose the puck on Quick’s poke check only to pick it up again and roof a backhander over the flailing goalie.
- Shortly after the Kings restored their two-goal lead, @Leon Draisaitl cut the lead in half (3-2) with a shorthanded marker that saw our side get a lucky bounce after McDavid’s centering pass bounced off a Kings defender and right to Leon’s stick and he made no mistake of cashing in the opportunity. Only two and a half minutes later, Draisaitl added a second goal (4-4)
- I absolutely have to give the Oilers some love for the resilience they showed to get this game to overtime, but unfortunately, silver linings don’t count in the playoffs.
- Happy to see the power play come back to life with two clutch goals on three opportunities with the man advantage.
- At least we won 53% of the faceoffs.
- If you like hits, the Oilers had 42 of them, I suppose.
THE FACE PALMERS
- I can’t even begin to describe how frustrating that start was for the Edmonton Oilers. Where was the urgency? Then again, the second period wasn’t that much better so what the hell do I know?
- Troy Stecher opened the scoring for the Kings (1-0) with his second goal in as many games after he picked up a pass in the high slot and ripped a clapper that beat Smith and took a friendly bounce in off the post. As much as he got some luck on the shot, the Kings were dominating the play early on and it was the exact start that the Oilers needed to avoid, making Stecher’s goal sizeably more frustrating.
- Adrian Kempe restored LA’s lead (2-1) with a snapshot from the circle after Keith coughed up the puck at his own blue line and Smith wasn’t able to come up with a save that he absolutely needed to have.
- Of course @Andreas Athanasiou extended the lead (3-1) to two goals. He didn’t do anything for us but of course he gets one here. I don’t know what Smith was doing on the play either, but that’s the way she goes… again.
- Philip Danault put the Kings up by two goals (4-2) after deflecting a shot-pass through Smith from the side of the net on what, in my opinion, should have been another save.
- @Adrian Kempe ended the game in OT after walking through the Oilers’ defence with ease and dangled around Mike Smith, ending the overtime in about as disappointing of a fashion as you could possibly imagine. I don’t even think the Oilers touched the puck.
- The Kings were blocking everything and the Oilers really struggled to get pucks through to the net.
- I truly believe that @Mike Smith has been solid for the Oilers throughout this series, but this was absolutely not his night. I don’t have to say more than that. I’m too upset to say more than that. Smith finished the night with 38 saves and a .884 save%.
- @Duncan Keith had a horrible night. No other way to put it. Giveaways at the worst times and a step behind on others.
- I’ve gotta feeling the Oilers may be without Darnell Nurse for Game 6 after the headbutt he threw at Danault. Maybe he’ll get by with a fine since it’s the playoffs, but generally, these types of actions are frowned upon.
- Overall, the PK killed off 4-of-5 which is alright I suppose but the one goal they did give up happened to come at the worst time.
- The NHL site had the Oilers listed at 21 giveaways, but even then I legitimately think that someone is being generous.
- Can someone please explain why the Oilers were falling down so much?
- Outshot 43-28 in a game they needed to have. I know the Kings shoot from everywhere but come on.
- The spreadsheets actually favoured the Oilers in CF% with 52.2 percent but the xGF wasn’t so pretty at a lowly 42.31 percent.
"lots of game left" I tell myself repeatedly so I don't go insane
— X – Kennedy (Playoff Version) (@kennedystrash) May 11, 2022
May I throw a beer at you to change our fortunes
— Ryan (@IAmByks) May 11, 2022
"think the playoffs are stressful? imagine having 9 kids and a farm"
— kabir 🐜 (@sausagehobbit) May 11, 2022
— Kristen Hagg (@KristenHagg) May 11, 2022