THE BRIGHT SIDE
- @Zach Hyman opened the scoring (1-0) as the business end of a tic-tac-toe with McDavid and Draisaitl after the trio moved the puck around the offensive zone beautifully before sneaking a shot past a sliding Markstrom.
- Over the first couple of games, I thought @Evander Kane needed to get his game going but I certainly didn’t expect him to rattle off a natural hat trick in the span of six minutes (4-0) as he did tonight in the second period. In the snap of a finger, the boys went from having a one-goal lead to a four-goal lead after Kane scored two nearly identical goals before adding a third on the back of another perfect pass from McDavid.
- @Connor McDavid has played 10 playoff games and has nine multi-point games over that run. Absolutely ridiculous. This is hero stuff we’re watching and I hope everyone is taking a few moments to recognize how special this is.
- What can you say about a casual four-point night by @Leon Draisaitl? Guy is playing on one leg and still looks better than anything the Flames have in their lineup.
- After a nice bounce-back performance in Game 2, I was looking for @Mike Smith to get back between the pipes and handle his business. And from the moment the puck dropped until the final buzzer sounded, Smith did exactly that with a foundation that his teammates could build upon. Whether it was a big save from in tight or a routine stop from the outside, Schmiddy looked dialed in and I wanted to make sure to give him some love for that performance. Simply put, he was fantastic. The only downside was when he had to leave for 15 minutes due to concussion protocol after Milan Lucic decided to be an idiot and ran the goaltender as he was out playing the puck. Smith finished the night with 32 saves and a .970 save%.
- The Oilers’ PK was perfect in all four shorthanded situations that they faced. Huge night for the boys when down a man.
- Jay Woodcroft did a really nice job of spreading the defensive minutes around as no d-man played more than 22 minutes or less than 17 minutes.
- Jaaaaaaaaaaaaakob. Jaaaaaaaaaaaakob. Jaaaaaaaaaaaaakob.
- For the first time this series, the Oilers won the Corskis after outshooting the Flames by a 41-33 margin.
THE FACE PALMERS
- @Oliver Kylington got the Flames on the board (4-1) late in the third period after he picked up a pass in the high slot and ripped a beautifully placed shot up and over a sprawling Mike Smith. Honestly, you’ve gotta tip your cap to the guy for the placement on that baby because it went in right under the bar.
- @Milan Lucic is hanging onto anything he can to stay in the league and it’s embarrassing. Not only is he terrible in every possible fashion, but the only way he can contribute anymore is by doing something stupid. Because of his bonehead choice to board Smith,
- Unfortunately, the Oilers’ power play went 0-for-5 on a night when it would have been a whole lot of fun to see them keep tacking goals on the board.
- @Cody Ceci took a puck to the hand in the third period and went straight to the bench clearly in pain. I don’t know about anybody else but I had horrible thoughts of a broken hand/finger by the look on his face. The good news is that he came back to the bench shortly after leaving but I’m still worried about what’s going on under that glove.
- I guess I can’t be too upset about the boys winning only 45% of the draws.
— Mike Stelter (@m_dan25) May 22, 2022
McDavid looks like he’s getting faster
— Arch (@Archaeologuy) May 23, 2022
Not even close. Way louder.
— Frank Seravalli (@frank_seravalli) May 23, 2022
— Jarrod Sharp (@jarrodsharp94) May 23, 2022
I'm going to go against the grain here and suggest Lucic can't actually turn in skates fast enough to avoid that.
— Michael Parkatti (@mparkatti) May 23, 2022