THE BRIGHT SIDE
- @Ryan Nugent-Hopkins pulled the Oilers back to within a single goal (2-1) with a quick snapshot inside the post after Jesse Puljujarvi hit him with a stretch pass that put him in alone on a chance he buried cleanly. As much as it’s been nice to see Nuge turning himself into an orchard this year, the team really needs him to score some goals and I was pumped to see him get on the board with one of his patented wristers.
- @Mikko Koskinen was back between the pipes for his 16th start of the season and looking for a better result than he got in his last two appearances. Unfortunately, Koskinen wasn’t able to get the win we were looking for but that wasn’t for a lack of effort nor quality goaltending from the big Finn. Had it not been for Kostco, especially in the second period, this game could have easily been out of reach long before the final buzzer sounded and I wanted to give him some props for the effort. Bust his balls all you want for the third goal, but there is no doubt in my mind that he was one of the best Oilers tonight. Koskinen finished the night with 28 saves and a .903 save%.
- Hell of a pass by @Jesse Puljujarvi on Nuge’s goal to send him in all alone.
- Markus Niemelainen was credited with 10 hits and while I understand that means the Oilers didn’t have the puck a whole lot while he was out there, I do appreciate his willingness to throw his body around.
- You love hearing about faceoffs and I love telling you about them, and that’s why I’m thrilled to report that the Oilers won 51% of the draws.
- Shout to the fans in attendance that gave Ethan Bear a big cheer when he showed up on the jumbotron during the anthem and also when he hit the ice for his first shift. At least he didn’t score!
THE FACE PALMERS
- The Oilers have given up the first goal in 14 of their last 17 games. Brutal.
- Sebastian Aho opened the scoring (1-0) with a powerplay goal after he was able to take a couple of whacks at a loose puck that was laying just outside the crease. Koskinen was able to make the initial save but the rebounds were too much. Aho added a second goal in the third period (3-1) after Koskinen bobbled the puck behind the net and had it kick off his skate right to the front of the net with nothing but an open net in the way.
- Nino Niederreiter extended the lead (2-0) with a wrister from the slot that was deflected by Nurse and made its way through Mikko Koskinen. I know the puck was tipped on the way to the net but we really needed a safe there, though the Hurricanes were all over the Oilers both before and after this puck went in.
- The Oilers were getting caved in at the end of the second period and it was almost a miracle that they didn’t fall behind by more than a single goal.
- I don’t have the exact number for how many times the Oilers passed up a quality chance to shoot the puck but whatever the number is is way too high.
- The NHL site has the Oilers listed with only nine giveaways but I think that number is charitable to say the least.
- Make that five games in a row where Kailer Yamamoto doesn’t have a shot on net.
- The penalty kill continues to struggle a little bit (1/2) as they were once again tagged with the first goal of the game and forced the team to chase again.
- The Oilers really needed their power play to come through with a goal for them but I guess that wasn’t in the cards as they went 0/2 with the man advantage. Man, I miss when the PP was basically a coinflip early in the year.
- The Oilers got ruined in the Corskis, losing the shots on goal battle by a 31-23 margin.
- Looking at the fancies, the Oilers weren’t good by eye or by spreadsheet as they finished with a 42.5 CF% and a 41.53 xGF%.
- Make it 10 straight games without a goal from the fourth line.
— ❤️⛏Merry Eclogite ⛏💚 (@geology24_7) December 12, 2021
Connor Bedard on comparisons to Connor McDavid:
“I mean I'm young and McDavid’s two points per game in the show.”
— Scott Wheeler (@scottcwheeler) December 12, 2021
— Wendo (@WendolynLamchop) December 12, 2021
@ oilers I am at your house I am in your kitchen I am pushing your glass off your counter like a cat
— Kennedy (@kennedystrash) December 12, 2021