THE BRIGHT SIDE
- I love how salty Jack Eichel is whenever he gets asked about Connor McDavid. From where I sit, you can tell that it bothers him and it’s funny to see him rattled when Connor doesn’t seem to get too rattled about the whole thing.
- Connor McDavid scored a highlight real goal (his 11th) only 22 seconds into the game before Jack Eichel had even had a shift yet. To rub salt into the wound, Connor followed up on his first goal with a coast to coast rush for the overtime winner (his 12th). Sabres fans were booing him all night. It was glorious. Connor for Calder.
- Nail Yakupov looks like a different person when he’s playing with Connor McDavid. He doesn’t have to worry about having the puck so much. He’s able to get open, look for shots, and wait for Connor to find him.
- Cam Talbot is such a relief. It feels like for the first time, in a long time, we don’t have to worry about some soft goal from centre ice. He brings a calm to the Oilers that they haven’t had since Roloson. Talbot was solid again tonight and finished the night with 31 saves and a .969 save%.
- I liked Adam Pardy’s game. He was solid defensively and threw the body when he had a chance. The Oilers need more of that on the back end. Pardy played 20:06 solid minutes in his debut.
- I liked the way Adam Cracknell takes the puck to the net, and goes to the net when he doesn’t have the puck. More that.
- Andrej Sekera had a big game, and should have had a goal if not for the ridiculous coach’s challenge. He played a team high 23:06 and they were all tough minutes.
- The Oilers were 56% in the faceoff circle tonight. Possession!
THE FACE PALMERS
- They didn’t show enough shots of Tim Murray during this game. I would have liked one right after McDavid scored his goal. Missed opportunity.
- I honest feel bad for Jack Eichel. Everyone is comparing him to Connor McDavid because they were drafted first and second, but Connor is clearly the better player. Not Eichel’s fault, but he’ll be hearing about it for his whole career. Is it wrong that I really like him as a player?
- The Oilers outshot the Sabres 41-32 but Robin Lehner stood on his head. He made some big saves to keep the game close. The score should have been higher than it was. Great game by Lehner.
- I hate coach’s challenges. Sekera should have had his sixth goal of the season but it was called back on a challenged offside. Ridiculous.
- It’s too bad that Patrick Maroon wasn’t able to play tonight. He had a crazy long travel day so it makes sense that he would sit out, but I’m excited to see what he can do. He wasn’t getting many minutes in Anaheim and maybe a change of venue will do him some good.
- Adam Cracknell should’ve had his first point as an Oiler tonight, but it was called back on a stupid coach’s challenge.
- Cal O’Reilly didn’t have a goal in 20 games but he scores on against the Oilers. Surprised? I wasn’t. We’re the best slump breakers in the league.
- The Oilers power play plan should be lit on fire and blasted off into space. The PP let them down AGAIN. It’s not surprising news, but it is news (0/3 on the power play).
- Speaking of the O’Reilly goal, what was Eberle doing? He completely spaced out on that goal.
- Anton Lander played a team low 12:05 tonight and you have to wonder if he’ll be back next year?
Connor McDavid (11) ASST: Jordan Eberle (19)
1 – 0 EDM
Cal O’Reilly (1) ASST: Sam Reinhart (11), Mark Pysyk (5)
1 – 1 Tie
Connor McDavid (12) ASST: NONE
2 – 1 EDM
BEST OF THE TWEETS
@jsbmbaggedmilk should we trade Mathews for Eichel.
— Kevin Maloney (@Kevin_F_Maloney) March 2, 2016
— Tyler Collin (@JimTheMonk) March 2, 2016
I’ve never seen an NHL team so afraid of 1 Rookie
— Matt Henderson (@Archaeologuy) March 2, 2016
@OilersNation And we’ll have 97, 29, 93 and Mathews. Not too shabby.
— Oil City Dynasty (@OilCityDynasty) March 2, 2016
— Ryan Brower (@RBrower1) March 2, 2016
— Trevor Luk (@Tynluk) March 2, 2016
THE NORTH X NORTHGRETZ PODCAST
- Episode 7 – The Brownlee Christmas Spectacular
- Episode 8 – Return Of The CTI
- Episode 9 – NxNGretz Holiday Special
- Episode 10 – An NxNGretz New Years
- Episode 11 – Is There A TV Doctor In The House?
- Episode 12 – Making An Interner
- Episode 13 – Guilty Pleasures
- Episode 14 – All Star Weekend
- Episode 15 – Disaster In Jasper
- Episode 16 – Contagious
- Episode 17 – Story time with Pat Hughes