OilersNation has no direct affiliation to the Edmonton Oilers, Oilers Entertainment Group, NHL, or NHLPA
Seravalli: NHL won’t ‘overrule’ Golden Knights on Cassidy permission if they keep paying contract
Bruce Cassidy
Photo credit: Matt Krohn-USA TODAY Sports
Michael Menzies
May 18, 2026, 20:00 EDTUpdated: May 18, 2026, 19:39 EDT
Frank Seravalli believes that as long as the Vegas Golden Knights keep paying Bruce Cassidy’s contract, they can deny the Edmonton Oilers and other teams permission to talk to their former head coach. 
On Frankly Hockey on Monday, Seravalli talked about the hottest coaching candidate right now, who still hasn’t been granted permission to interview for head coaching vacancies. 
“The league is not going to overrule the Golden Knights here. Contract law and contract language are just that,” said Seravalli. 
“They, I believe, have a clear stance in the League office that if Vegas wants to go to the mat here and not grant permission for Bruce Cassidy to speak to a division rival, then that is their right to do so, so long as they continue to pay the four and a half million dollars that are owed to Bruce Cassidy for next year. 
“If that’s the cheque they want to write to not have Bruce Cassidy, they believe, make the Oilers better next year, the league, there’s not much they can do, even if it defies custom and norms.”
Vegas and commissioner Gary Bettman are set to meet this week.
The Golden Knights are appealing their punishment, which forces them to forfeit their second-round pick in the upcoming draft, plus a $100,000 fine on interim coach John Tortorella, handed out after the team shirked media requirements following their series win over Anaheim. 
It’s believed that at some point during that conversation, this Cassidy permission situation will be talked about. 
“They’re unrelated, but probably will be amalgamated into the conversation to find a way to smooth this over,” said Seravalli.  “The Oilers are waiting patiently. He’s unquestionably the Edmonton Oilers’ choice. That’s the guy they want coaching their team next season. They’ve been granted permission to speak to Craig Berube from the Toronto Maple Leafs. 
“But still far and away, Bruce Cassidy is number one. Now they’re going to have to go through their process and interview other candidates to have this ongoing at the same time, because they can’t be left without a coach in the case Vegas does not grant permission.”
The Oilers have begun their search by gaining permission to speak to Craig Berube. Elliotte Friedman said on NHL Network that it’s expected they’ll talk to Peter Laviolette. 
Cassidy said in an interview last week with NHL Network that he wanted to coach and hoped this situation would be resolved. St. Louis Blues host Andy Strickland tweeted on Monday that the LA Kings have also been denied permission to speak to Cassidy. He also said the Toronto Maple Leafs haven’t asked. 
Would Vegas allow Cassidy to speak to teams outside of the division or conference? 

Michael Menzies is an Oilersnation columnist and co-host of PreGaming and Oilersnation After Dark. He’s also been the play-by-play voice of the Bonnyville Pontiacs in the AJHL since 2019. With seven years of news experience as the Editor-at-Large of Lakeland Connect in Bonnyville, Menzies collects vinyl, books, and stomach issues. Follow him on X at Menzies_4. 

ARTICLE PRESENTED BY bet365