Yesterday, we had a look at Craig MacTavish’s roster exits. Today, we look at what he brought in to change the team’s fortunes.
WELCOME TO MY NIGHTMARE
- David Perron: Skilled player, first shot scorer, skilled and gritty. Great season.
- Andrew Ference: The big addition to the blue line, he struggled.
- Boyd Gordon: The ideal UFA option and they landed him. Wow! Nice season.
- Jason LaBarbera: Oh, it did NOT go well.
- Denis Grebeshkov: A reasonable long shot bet that didn’t work out.
- Anton Belov: I don’t think he returns.
- Jesse Joensuu: The new Hartikainen, I think Hartikainen was better.
- Phil Larsen: He looked good on the wing, not so much on the blue.
- Ryan Hamilton: AHL winger signed with hopes of NHL time, foot speed a killer.
- Andrew Miller: Spent the season in OKC.
- Will Acton: Spent significant time in the NHL this season.
- Richard Bachman: No matter what happens, we’ll remember “the game”.
- Brad Hunt: AHL All-Star, played 3 NHL games. Yes he did.
- Darnell Nurse: Almost made the Oilers, spent a productive season in the OHL.
- Marco Roy: Injuries derailed a strong start.
- Bogdan Yakmiov: Big C from Yak City, he had a good year and may be coming over.
- Anton Slepyshev: Looked good at WJ’s, we’ll see.
- Jackson Houck: Scored 34 in the WHL.
- Kyle Platzer: Scored 22 in the OHL
- Aidan Muir: Started slowly, but posted 41 points in 54 USHL games.
- Evan Campbell: Didn’t score for a long time, but ended up with 9 goals.
- Ben Betker: Impressive season with Everett. Big, strong, good speed.
- Greg Chase: Enjoyed an exceptional season. Looks like a draft steal.
- Luke Gazdic: Found himself a home.
- Linus Omark: He arrived, he played, he left.
- Ilya Bryzgalov: Ditto.
- Steve Pinizzottto: Gritty winger came over for Martindale, interesting player.
- Laurent Brossoit: ECHL dynamo, we’ll see how things go in the AHL.
- Roman Horak: I always liked him in Calgary, and he looked good last night.
- Jordan Oesterle: Recently signed college defender, we’ll see.
- Ben Scrivens: Rivals Nurse, Perron and Gordon as MacT’s best moves of year one.
- Viktor Fasth: Suitable 1B, we’ll see if he has sustain.
- Mark Fraser: Gritty defender, coverage gaps.
- Matt Hendricks: Added some experience to the bottom 6F.
- Ty Rimmer: He played well in a few AHL games.
- Chet Pickard: He did not.
- Dillon Simpson: His college career is over, we await his signing.
- John McCarron: College winger could stay another year.
- Joey LaLeggia: Ditto.
- Erik Gustafsson: Had a good year in Sweden, may be ready.
WHAT DOES IT ALL MEAN?
Sometimes, we can all look ridiculous in the middle of an important task. However, there’s some very good names in this group: Perron, Gordon, Ference, Nurse, Scrivens and others. Craig MacTavish has a lot of work to do this summer, but he put in a lot of miles this season to set up the coming moves.
Will they be bold? Will we like them? If he sends away Martin Marincin in a package for a veteran defenseman who can play 22+ minutes, will you like him then? What if he deals the lottery pick this season? The McDavid pick from next year?
Hold on. It’s coming.