And thus we conclude “No Win November.” Final Score: 4-3 Blues in OT.
After last night’s loss to the Blues, I really wanted to see which Oilers team was going to show up today. Would it be the team we saw last night in Nashville, or the team that got blown out at home against Chicago? I’m a hopeless romantic, so I’ll always pull for the Oilers to win even though this would make me a broke man if I were a betting man. I can’t help but want to watch every game, because they’re the Oilers and I care for them with all the love I can muster from my mom’s basement. We can be 40 games under .500 and I’ll still pull for the Oilers, always. Tonight was no different. Despite all the negativity, I wanted the Oilers to win.
Frankly, this game didn’t go as I expected at all. I expected the Oilers to get blown out, but solid goaltending from Ben Scrivens kept the Oilers in it. Did they deserve to go into the 3rd period with a 2-1 lead? Absolutely not. Did they deserve to stick around in this game in the first place? Not even close. Ben Scrivens gave them a chance to win, and that’s all you can ask of your goalie. The fact that the Oilers were able to get a point from this game is a credit to the night that Scrivens had. When you get outshot 41-16 on the road, and you manage to get a point, you’d better be buying your goalie a drink. Gord knows he deserved it.
THE BRIGHT SIDE
- Great tilt between Pinizzotto and Steve Ott in the first period. Here’s the link on HockeyFights.
- That flying stick that hit Scrivens was amazing to watch. I must have watched the replay 2000 times.
- Loved seeing David Perron score against his old team. I know the rumours that are out there, but I think the Oilers would be foolish to trade Perron. They need more competitive guys, not less. Hopefully the slump is over.
- Wait for it… NIKITA NIKITIN SCORED A GOAL! Honest! Seriously, look it up.
- Taylor Hall with 2 beauty assists tonight. The guy’s play making ability is seriously underrated.
- Ben Scrivens had a great game. He stole the Oilers a point tonight.
- ELPH is back!
THE FACE PALMERS
- Martin Marincin is being wasted in the press box and it doesn’t make any sense.
- The Blues absolutely ran the show in the early going. They were outshot the Oilers 15-3 in the first period. Another slow start for the Oilers.
- This was the first time the Oilers have had a lead since November 9th. Dude…
- There was a bad turnover by David Perron/Taylor Hall on the Blues’ 3rd goal.
- The Oilers were outclassed in this game. Despite the OT result, the Oilers did not deserve a point.
- Did I mention that the shots were 41-16 for the Blues?
- I seriously doubt that the Blues played so clean that they didn’t merit a single penalty all game.
BEST OF THE TWEETS
— Douglas Dyck (@dougers14) November 29, 2014
@OilersNation Any Black Friday deals on a Pietrangelo? Shattenkirk? Bouwmeester? I’ll even take a Jackman.
— Allan MacMillan (@AllanMM11) November 29, 2014
— Miles Aubin (@crimsondanger) November 29, 2014
@OilersNation Meanwhile we can’t win, our owner doesn’t care…OUR PET’S HEADS ARE FALLING OFF!
— Ryan B. (@IAmByks) November 29, 2014
Nice to see the Oilers aren’t the only team cursed by ex players! @jsbmbaggedmilk
— Dr. Theo M. Enacer (@SenatorTheo) November 29, 2014
Perron deserves a goal. He’s a hard working, honest, good soldier. Never complains or makes excuses. Oilers need more like him.
— Rob Tychkowski (@Sun_Tychkowski) November 29, 2014
— Josh Paterson (@JoshtheGooglist) November 29, 2014
@OilersNation I would like to bow our heads and pray to little baby gord. *bows head*. Dear baby gord, so sweet, please let our oilers win.
— Darcy Glassford (@oilerpride80) November 29, 2014
— SRM (@Filter_x360a) November 29, 2014
@OilersNation WE GOT A POINT ON BACK-TO-BACK NIGHTS!!!! <faints>
— Dutchscooter (@Dutchscooter) November 29, 2014
— Angus Sagan (@angus_sagan) November 29, 2014
@OilersNation even the corsi was bad
— RexHolez (@VenneJr) November 29, 2014
JCI HOLIDAY HAMPERS
Help more Edmonton families enjoy Christmas this year. Sign up today for the JCI Holiday Hamper program to build and hand deliver a hamper with food and gifts for a local family in need. Head to their website and register by November 30th, and help us make a difference in the community. You’ve only got a couple more days to get involved, so get on it!