Welcome to your weekly injury report. Not much has changed in the world of Oilers injuries since last week. That’s not a good thing for the sake of content BUT it is a very good thing for the Oilers. I think we’d much rather have a healthy, rolling team than a long and interesting injury article, right?
Chris the Intern
Chris is out of commission right now because he’s in Mexico. He’s suffering from an injury many of us know all too well — the hangover. Chris was active in our group chat on Friday and Saturday sending us a photo of a brand new cocktail about seven six-and-a-half minutes. He isn’t active in the group chat this morning so that can mean only one thing and that’s a massive hangover. Send young Chris your best wishes as he navigates this injury.
Steady Rej was spotted at Oilers practice last week! After suffering a torn Achilles during off-season training in the summer time, it was assumed Sekera could end up missing the entire season. Sekera, as we know, has had a bad time staying healthy the past couple of years. Last year, he was rushed back to help salvage his torn ACL suffered in the playoffs and he wasn’t the same defender we know and love. Let’s hope this year the team let’s him take his time and he comes back at 100 percent some time in the New Year ready to help the team on a playoff drive. Jason Gregor said that January looks like Sekera’s likely return time depending on how his practices go.
Sekera will have pregame skates for next two weeks then see doctor.If cleared he will then enter regular practices in non contact jersey. If no set backs seems like January is likely return time. #Oilers
— Jason Gregor (@JasonGregor) November 27, 2018
Tobias Rieder’s injury has been weirdly vague. He left the game against Montreal in mid-November and didn’t come back and hasn’t played since. He’s been diagnosed with the “upper-body injury” which can mean pretty much anything. We all assume it’s a shoulder injury and it was said he’s going to miss about a month of action. That means we probably won’t see Rieder back in the mix for another couple weeks.
Around the league
- William Nylander remains out with Hurt Feelings as the Maple Leafs haven’t offered him the mega contract he wants yet.
- Tom Wilson dished out yet another dirty hit on Friday. This time, his victim was Brett Seney of the New Jersey Devils. Seney would go through the concussion protocol but did return to the game.
- Dustin Byfuglien suffered a concussion earlier this week when he collided with Penguins’ defenceman Jamie Oleksiak. Byfuglien was allowed to return to the game, which has stirred controversy over the NHL’s concussion protocol. He currently isn’t travelling with the team.
Previous Injury Reports
- Sekera Skating?
- Get well soon, Tobi
- Week five: Flu season
- Week four: 22 Stitches and a face shield
- Week three: “The Answer” is losing his status
- Week two: Caggiulaless
- Week one: We back!